Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

7 hours ago, Rogstanley said:

To allow Indians to have Christmas off but not white people. It's not an official asda policy and sounds illogical. The reason given for it existing- it being cheaper to go to India over Christmas - is untrue as it's almost 50% cheaper to go in January and still cheaper to go in summer. I've got family who work in supermarkets including asda who for sure would have mentioned it had it been true in their stores, but they've not. At most it seems likely this is an isolated incident where the Indians have successfully tricked management.

Or they’ve booked the time off in January.

Regardless of anything, Asda dont need every single member of staff to be working over that period.

If it is official policy but they bend the rules for Indians, it’s clearly prejudicial and they’d be in the shit.

Edited by Realist Guy In The Room

6 hours ago, MattP said:

1 - When I said evidence I was hoping for something from a reputable source.

2 - Hence why I said "or yours" i.e meaning your opinion.

3 - I'll take as in all reality you know it won't be.

She was utterly dreadful, it's the only go to line now for an NHS question, she should be thankful there is an idiot who can't think on his feet across the other side opposing her, anyone decent would make her look ridiculous week after week.

Watching this makes you realise just how good the Blair/Hague battles were, both were absolutely brilliant at the box.

THIS.

I dont think there has been a period where the weakness of a PM is so closely mirrored by the leader of the opposition.

Theresa May and the Tory party are certainly not acting in the best interest of the country but are quite obviously all out for themselves. The exact same can be said of Labour.  All Labour need is an average leader.  If Ed Milliband was leader, they’d win a landslide.

30 minutes ago, Realist Guy In The Room said:

THIS.

I dont think there has been a period where the weakness of a PM is so closely mirrored by the leader of the opposition.

Theresa May and the Tory party are certainly not acting in the best interest of the country but are quite obviously all out for themselves. The exact same can be said of Labour.  All Labour need is an average leader.  If Ed Milliband was leader, they’d win a landslide.

I was actually laughing at it today it was that bad.

Watching May trying to sound powerful is cringeworthy and it's only because Corbyn is so thick in response she gets away it.

March next year can't come quick enough.

1 minute ago, Bryn said:

Why do you have to be such a **** about it ? Why is it proper politics when it shines your "team" in a positive light? 

These are people's lives, it's not football.

What? I was actually talking about coming away from my own whining over PMQS .

1 hour ago, MattP said:

Back to proper politics. 

Unemployment at a four decade low....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42802526

Wages still falling. Coming up to a full year of falling wages now on the ack of what was already being described as the worst fall in living standards since the middle of the 19th century. The slave colonies had low unemployment, there are more important measures!

23 minutes ago, Rogstanley said:

Wages still falling. Coming up to a full year of falling wages now on the ack of what was already being described as the worst fall in living standards since the middle of the 19th century. The slave colonies had low unemployment, there are more important measures!

If you wake up wearing Margaret Thatcher pyjamas you've got to clutch at anything going tbf 

1 hour ago, MattP said:

I was actually laughing at it today it was that bad.

Watching May trying to sound powerful is cringeworthy and it's only because Corbyn is so thick in response she gets away it.

March next year can't come quick enough.

Whilst I'm not going to claim Corbyn is particularly great at pmqs, most people don't watch the whole thing so it's about getting the best soundbite. His will play very well because it exposes a truth everybody knows.

Edited by Guest

15 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

The thing that's worrying me is that the pound is recovering too quick. Going to be hard to maintain a decent inflation level if it does go back to pre-referendum levels. :unsure:

Which would be good news for ordinary people whose income is currently falling in real terms.

8 hours ago, toddybad said:

If you wake up wearing Margaret Thatcher pyjamas you've got to clutch at anything going tbf 

Why is it always about Thatcher?

I'm far more Peel or Disraeli than her.

22 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

The thing that's worrying me is that the pound is recovering too quick. Going to be hard to maintain a decent inflation level if it does go back to pre-referendum levels. :unsure:

Not to mention the disadvantage it can give us in trade talks. 

(Or my own money coming in from Australia :( )

Just now, toddybad said:

Which would be good news for ordinary people whose income is currently falling in real terms.

Indeed, and bad news for extraordinary people whose income is currently rising in real terms. 

So it comes down to who you care about, and we know where I sit on that. 

Don't need inflation at 3%, granted, but between 1-2% would mean we could keep raising interests rates, which is a good thing. 

43 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Indeed, and bad news for extraordinary people whose income is currently rising in real terms. 

So it comes down to who you care about, and we know where I sit on that. 

Don't need inflation at 3%, granted, but between 1-2% would mean we could keep raising interests rates, which is a good thing. 

Why do you want interest rates to rise?

Diane Abbott on the radio saying as soon as Labour take power the NHS will get it's carillion pounds back, funded by tax on corporations, bankers and the super rich. :ph34r:

David Cameron: Brexit's turned out 'less badly than first thought'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-42806207

Brexit has "turned out less badly than we first thought", David Cameron has said.

The former prime minister was recorded at the World Economic Forum in Davos saying the Leave vote was "a mistake not a disaster".

Mr Cameron called the 2016 referendum on the UK's membership of the EU, campaigned to stay in and resigned after the Leave side won.

His apparently unguarded comments were highlighted by Channel 5 News.

"As I keep saying, it's a mistake not a disaster," he was heard saying in a conversation with steel tycoon Lakshmi Mittal.

"It's turned out less badly than we first thought. But it's still going to be difficult."

The Remain campaign during the referendum warned of an immediate economic impact on the UK of a vote to leave the European Union.

"Let's just remember what a shock really means. It means pressure on the pound sterling. It means jobs being lost. It means mortgage rates might rise. It means businesses closing. It means hardworking people losing their livelihoods."

He stepped up his warnings as the referendum date approached, warning on 6 June that Brexit would be like putting a "bomb" under the UK economy and telling MPs a week later that "nobody wants to have an emergency Budget, nobody wants to have cuts in public services, nobody wants to have tax increases", but the economic "crisis" that would follow a vote to leave could not be ignored.

"We can avoid all of this by voting Remain next week," he added.

He described a vote to leave the EU as a "self-destruct option" for the UK, after a Treasury analysis warned it would tip the UK into a year-long recession, with up to 820,000 jobs lost within two years.

At other times he sounded more optimistic about the prospect of leaving, saying, in May 2016, "Britain is an amazing country. We can find our way whatever the British people choose."

The BBC's chief political correspondent, Vicki Young, said Tory Brexit cheerleaders she had spoken to were "thrilled", telling her the former PM had come round to their "way of thinking".

But she said one leading Remain campaigner in the party said it was "far too early" to tell what the long-term consequences of leaving the EU would be.

Former Labour MP Gisela Stuart, who now heads pro-Brexit campaign group Change Britain, said the former PM's "scaremongering" about the economic damage of Brexit had proved to be "baseless".

"I hope that pro-EU MPs who continue to do Britain's economy down join Mr Cameron in admitting they're wrong, and focus their energies on getting the best Brexit deal for the UK," she said.

Although the pound fell sharply after the vote, the UK economy has continued to grow, and unemployment has fallen to a 42-year low. Mortgage rates have stayed at generally the same low levels they have been since the financial crisis in 2008.

Can see him pinning Project Fear on Gideon in his book.

5 minutes ago, MattP said:

David Cameron: Brexit's turned out 'less badly than first thought'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-42806207

Can see him pinning Project Fear on Gideon in his book.

The obvious comment here is that Brexit hasn't yet happened, so speculation on whether or not it is as bad as he feared is premature.

27 minutes ago, Buce said:

The obvious comment here is that Brexit hasn't yet happened, so speculation on whether or not it is as bad as he feared is premature.

That's why the article focused on the immediate aftermath of the vote, rather than Brexit. Everything they predicted so far has turned out to be total nonsense based on fantasy figures the treasury deliberately set out to get.

Cameron and Osborne just expected we would never find out as they thought they could scare us all into voting to stay.