Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

Just now, Strokes said:

2010, which government would that be then?

Tories in coalition. 

My question: who was home secretary?

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, Innovindil said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43808716

Inflation down further than predicted. Might put doubt over the interest rate rise if it keeps falling this fast. :mellow:

Jesus wept how inept is the BBC. Inflation is down to 2.3% according to the CPIH which the ONS used as it's official measure. BoE target CPI which is 2.5%. Might well dampen rate rises after next month's inevitability.

Meanwhile, student loan interest rate will be up to 6.3% in September. Still it's fine because they announced a new railcard for 26-30s.

23 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Alan Johnson by the looks of it.

Decision by labour, implementation by the Tories. Fair enough. If they needed space why not digitize them so the info wasn't lost? It appears it's the implementation that's the problem.

Edited by Guest

31 minutes ago, toddybad said:

Decision by labour, implementation by the Tories. Fair enough. If they needed space why not digitize them so the info wasn't lost? It appears it's the implementation that's the problem.

Who made the decision on how to implement though?

Guest MattP
1 hour ago, Kopfkino said:

The then Home Secretary has just confirmed it was a decision by her predecessor. To see Corbyn flounder for a question or two after that was gold lol

Funniest moment I've seen at PMQ's for a while, Corbyn can even make himself look a complete twat when the Tories have completely fcuked up.

1 hour ago, Kopfkino said:

Jesus wept how inept is the BBC. Inflation is down to 2.3% according to the CPIH which the ONS used as it's official measure. BoE target CPI which is 2.5%. Might well dampen rate rises after next month's inevitability.

Meanwhile, student loan interest rate will be up to 6.3% in September. Still it's fine because they announced a new railcard for 26-30s.

Tbh I don't understand why they have any interest on student loans at all. You're never going to have a positive return from them simply because many end up paying nothing back at all. Pretty horrid to further punish the ones that do (or at the very least, try) to pay them back. 

18 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Who made the decision on how to implement though?

Also

Edited by Guest

7 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Tbh I don't understand why they have any interest on student loans at all. You're never going to have a positive return from them simply because many end up paying nothing back at all. Pretty horrid to further punish the ones that do (or at the very least, try) to pay them back. 

It was hugely increased by the Tories in order to make the student loan book look more attractive to investors. Ie business over people.

22 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

I get why they don't want a real terms loss so have it at least rise with inflation (RPI daft tho) and the majority pay back no extra as a result of adding the 3% extra, by and large those that do best from uni are affected by it.

Idk how it's actually applied but it's just a bit galling that I'll have an extra 3k minimum just on interest. If I pay it all back in my lifetime then I'll be earning decent buck but it's still a lot of money to forgo in life.

The framing of the student debt debate, such that very few people grasp it, it's just daft to have it set up as is.

33 minutes ago, Beechey said:

Real wage growth back on the cards.

_100923876_inflationtoawe-nc.png

Would be good to see. Shame about the lost decade though.

9 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Let that be a lesson not to overspend in the future.

As you well know, the problem was that tax revenues decreased due to a financial crisis. The real lesson is to regulate harder.

30 minutes ago, Strokes said:

That’s what happens if you spend more than you get in.

To avoid a deficit we'd have had to have been running a £100billion surplus. The deficit was an excuse. Growth to recover the lost revenues should have been the answer. There's a reason economists across the board disagreed with a austerity agenda when the chips were down.

6 minutes ago, toddybad said:

To avoid a deficit we'd have had to have been running a £100billion surplus. The deficit was an excuse. Growth to recover the lost revenues should have been the answer. There's a reason economists across the board disagreed with a austerity agenda when the chips were down.

Yeah about right £100b surplus, that should be the future target.