Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

30 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Yeah about right £100b surplus, that should be the future target.

Let's go back to worrying about why the prime minister introduced legislation that has led to wrongful deportations.

1 minute ago, toddybad said:

Let's go back to worrying about why the prime minister introduced legislation that has led to wrongful deportations.

“Let’s go back to worrying” lol

Cheer up Toddy FFS!

Guest Foxin_mad
19 minutes ago, toddybad said:

Do we actually have any evidence that it has led to any deportations? 

I am not sure we do.

Yes a mistake has been made, an apology has been made by Rudd. A pretty good hands held up we will sort it thing. This is a **** up over decades, involving multiple people and Whitehall departments as I originally said. 

Its not like some kind of kind caring left-wing pressure group has been threatening to rape and MPs wife, making sick abuse on twitter against female Jewish MPs or a leader refusing to kick Ken Livingston out of the party. That is a much bigger issue which no one is willing to address. 

Guest MattP
1 hour ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

After Grenfell and Windrush I dont know if Amber Rudd hates black people or not, especially as she has had Kwasi Kwateng all up inside her.

Whatever it is, let's hope she's gone soon. Hopelessly incompetent.

Probably only in the job as she's a woman and voted Remain.

Guest MattP
30 minutes ago, toddybad said:

Led to wrongful deportations? Has that been confirmed? 

10 minutes ago, MattP said:

Yes. AR confirmed it had happened two days ago?

Guest MattP
4 minutes ago, toddybad said:

Link? I've read quite a bit on this and completely missed that.

5 minutes ago, toddybad said:

1 minute ago, MattP said:

Link? I've read quite a bit on this and completely missed that.

As far as I can see she has said she cannot rule it out but it's in the process of being checked.

1 hour ago, toddybad said:

Hang on, the legislation is to prove legitimacy of status. If labour hadn’t sanctioned binning records and people history that legislation would be sound.

7 hours ago, Kopfkino said:

The then Home Secretary has just confirmed it was a decision by her predecessor. To see Corbyn flounder for a question or two after that was gold lol

Yes, it was an own goal and someone will get their arse kicked for it.

Sadly, it diminished the thrust of the argument, that being that the Home Office has been overly rigorous in their pursuit of a policy of reducing immigration.

Edited by CarbonVirtine

2 hours ago, Strokes said:

Hang on, the legislation is to prove legitimacy of status. If labour hadn’t sanctioned binning records and people history that legislation would be sound.

Labour didn't though did they? As number 10 has since clarified, it was an operational decision made by departmental staff. Wouldn't have gone anywhere near ministers. What's created the problem is the law change.

Although

Theresa May’s attempt to get a grip on the Windrush crisis descended into chaos on Wednesday after two major announcements she made on the subject were immediately called into question.

In a day of confusion over the treatment of Windrush-era arrivals unfairly targeted over their immigration status, May promised that Albert Thompson, a London man denied free NHS cancer treatment despite living in the UK for 44 years, would now get the care he needed.

However, his lawyers said they had not been contacted to be told of any policy change, while Thompson – whose case was first exposed by the Guardian – also complained about being left in the dark.

Separately, an effort by May to blame Labour for a controversial decision to destroy landing card slips recording people’s arrival dates rebounded after it emerged that one of the decisions to implement the policy took place in 2010, when she was home secretary.

Edited by Guest

Labour didn't though did they? As number 10 has since clarified, it was an operational decision made by departmental staff. Wouldn't have gone anywhere near ministers. What's created the problem is the law change.

Although

Theresa May’s attempt to get a grip on the Windrush crisis descended into chaos on Wednesday after two major announcements she made on the subject were immediately called into question.

In a day of confusion over the treatment of Windrush-era arrivals unfairly targeted over their immigration status, May promised that Albert Thompson, a London man denied free NHS cancer treatment despite living in the UK for 44 years, would now get the care he needed.

However, his lawyers said they had not been contacted to be told of any policy change, while Thompson – whose case was first exposed by the Guardian – also complained about being left in the dark.

Separately, an effort by May to blame Labour for a controversial decision to destroy landing card slips recording people’s arrival dates rebounded after it emerged that one of the decisions to implement the policy took place in 2010, when she was home secretary.

lol

Like you would have accepted that if labour’s paw prints were no where near. 

Although

So outright lies from May trying to cover her tracks. Sackable offence surely? What a disgusting abomination of a person she continues to prove herself to be.

5 hours ago, Foxin_mad said:

Do we actually have any evidence that it has led to any deportations? 

I am not sure we do.

Yes a mistake has been made, an apology has been made by Rudd. A pretty good hands held up we will sort it thing. This is a **** up over decades, involving multiple people and Whitehall departments as I originally said. 

Its not like some kind of kind caring left-wing pressure group has been threatening to rape and MPs wife, making sick abuse on twitter against female Jewish MPs or a leader refusing to kick Ken Livingston out of the party. That is a much bigger issue which no one is willing to address. 

5 hours ago, MattP said:

My understanding is the home office “don’t know” but there have been plenty of reports in the papers of individuals having proceedings brought against them, as a result in a change of tact in the home office on this area (gone from previously assumed ok, to requiring proof to be ok - or ‘hostile’ as i’ve seen it described).

I’m sure I saw one estimate that suggested possibly as many as 50 could have been deported - but not found the source again.

Clearly this is not a good look for May, especially when added to the EU migrants as bargaining chips thing, yet somehow Corbyn let her get away with it - although I note there’s some doubt that has been cast on May’s PMQ’s claim the windrush cards were destroyed by a Labour government (doesn’t matter, her point has been shared across social media so it’s been made).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43782241

8 hours ago, Foxin_mad said:

No, no, no you're wrong. None of this is true. It's just part of the mainstream media going all out to smear innocent Jeremy Corbyn, a man who has never done anything wrong.

5 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

No, no, no you're wrong. None of this is true. It's just part of the mainstream media going all out to smear innocent Jeremy Corbyn, a man who has never done anything wrong.

The leader isn't involved in the disciplinary process, the chair runs that. The chair had just changed for precisely the reason of a lack of action. 

Stupid decision to destroy all those landing cards, whoever took it. They weren't to know how useful they'd be for proving length of residency as May's hardline policy only came in later.

But they were historic documents likely to be of interest to historical researchers - and to people interested in family history. People like Ancestry.com would doubtless have paid good money for them, too.

The landing cards are a distraction, though, whoever junked them. The big issue is the hardline immigration policy depriving aging black people with residency rights of their rights re. residency, employment, healthcare etc.

This is the most shameful result of a policy for years - probably since the Iraq War.

It's awful to see all these people interviewed on TV who've been refused cancer care, lost their jobs, been told they were set for deportation or not allowed back into the country....when they're clearly British in any real sense of the world, having arrived as kids and known nowhere else, brought up families here etc. Really heartbreaking, some of the interviews I've seen.

I think more of Amber Rudd and less of Theresa May after this. Rudd looked genuinely upset at what had happened, to be fair to her (maybe because her partner, Mr. Kwarteng, is the son of Commonwealth immigrants - thanks for that bit of goss, @Sharpe's Fox, you old tanky ;)). May disgusted me. You could see her licking her lips, waiting to score her cheap point against Corbyn at PMQs, blaming Labour for the landing cards. Even if she was right about that and JC looked a bit silly, she showed herself in a bad light, scoring cheap points at such a time. Rudd knew that, to be fair to her.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Stupid decision to destroy all those landing cards, whoever took it. They weren't to know how useful they'd be for proving length of residency as May's hardline policy only came in later.

But they were historic documents likely to be of interest to historical researchers - and to people interested in family history. People like Ancestry.com would doubtless have paid good money for them, too.

The landing cards are a distraction, though, whoever junked them. The big issue is the hardline immigration policy depriving aging black people with residency rights of their rights re. residency, employment, healthcare etc.

This is the most shameful result of a policy for years - probably since the Iraq War.

It's awful to see all these people interviewed on TV who've been refused cancer care, lost their jobs, been told they were set for deportation or not allowed back into the country....when they're clearly British in any real sense of the world, having arrived as kids and known nowhere else, brought up families here etc. Really heartbreaking, some of the interviews I've seen.

I think more of Amber Rudd and less of Theresa May after this. Rudd looked genuinely upset at what had happened, to be fair to her (maybe because her partner, Mr. Kwarteng, is the son of Commonwealth immigrants - thanks for that bit of goss, @Sharpe's Fox, you old tanky ;)). May disgusted me. You could see her licking her lips, waiting to score her cheap point against Corbyn at PMQs, blaming Labour for the landing cards. Even if she was right about that and JC looked a bit silly, she showed herself in a bad light, scoring cheap points at such a time. Rudd knew that, to be fair to her.

Because selling people's personal data would have gone down a treat. :huh: