Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Technology, Science and the Environment.

23 hours ago, Buce said:

We laugh, but really it’s pretty scary that we let these people lead us. 

It's fvcking terrifying...

I've never really worked out their agenda, tbh - whats the big pay-off for global warming denial?

Can't just be energy companies' lobbying, surely..?  

1 hour ago, Milo said:

It's fvcking terrifying...

I've never really worked out their agenda, tbh - whats the big pay-off for global warming denial?

Can't just be energy companies' lobbying, surely..?  

It is mostly that, sadly. Single-minded pursuit of $$$.

However, it is also, for some, the idea that this Earth simply doesn't matter, that it was given to us by God to do as we will and that what we do to it here means nothing upon entry to Heaven.

Such beliefs, from a variety of sources, could well be the single greatest threat to civilisation today IMO.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, toddybad said:

Shows what an absolute abomination our species is.

Human race just 0.01% of all life but has eradicated most other living things

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/may/21/human-race-just-001-of-all-life-but-has-destroyed-over-80-of-wild-mammals-study?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

It's been said before, but by the metrics of almost all past mass extinction events (using the little information we have about them) we are in one right now, we have been for some time, and humans are the leading cause of it.

I'm no nihilist or Malthusian and I'd like to see humanity to survive to become something better, but people have got to figure that at some point there will be consequences to these actions that will be felt by everyone - not just those without much of a voice.

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/05/2018 at 10:14, davieG said:

33459839_2104526003168535_48282563212392

Self-interested, self-perpetuating apes in sharper suits.

Sorry for the misanthropic rant but I honestly don't get why some folks (and practically all religious scripture) think humanity is in many ways removed from other animals in terms of the way they behave at a fundamental level.

I've just watched a very interesting documentary where the late Stephen Hawking says we've got about 700 years to find a new planet to live on.

I honestly don't think that's going to be enough time for my wife to pack.

• Haha 3

27 minutes ago, Buce said:

I've just watched a very interesting documentary where the late Stephen Hawking says we've got about 700 years to find a new planet to live on.

I honestly don't think that's going to be enough time for my wife to pack.

It's strange - the number of years he spoke of is quoted as different everywhere. Some say 100, others say 200, 600 or 700.

TBH it's anyone's guess as to exactly when the Earth is going to become much less hospitable for human civilisation or what might be responsible for it...but we had better be ready for it when it does. The stakes are rather high.

17 minutes ago, The Bear said:

If it does become inhospitable it's bound to be down to one of three things - Climate change, over-population leading to lack of food and water, or nuclear disaster.

My money's on number two.

Doesn't have to be just one of those, either - climate change leading to difficulty in sourcing crops and potable water followed by a nuclear war as the bigger nations try to control what's left is an entirely plausible chain of events.

15 hours ago, The Bear said:

If it does become inhospitable it's bound to be down to one of three things - Climate change, over-population leading to lack of food and water, or nuclear disaster.

My money's on number two.

One and two are inextricably linked. 

22 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Even more interesting than that, the rover has dug down and found organic matter just under the surface at the site of an ancient lake. Not proof of life, but proof that some of the building blocks existed once.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/jun/07/nasa-mars-rover-finds-organic-matter-in-ancient-lake-bed

Edit: sorry, I hadn't scrolled down enough in the bbc report to see it gets round to mentioning this.

Edited by Guest

4 minutes ago, toddybad said:

Even more interesting than that, the rover has dug down and found organic matter just under the surface at the site of an ancient lake. Not proof of life, but proof that some of the building blocks existed once.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/jun/07/nasa-mars-rover-finds-organic-matter-in-ancient-lake-bed

Edit: sorry, I hadn't scrolled down enough in the bbc report to see it gets round to mentioning this.

Yep, that was the truly interesting part.

At this point, I'd lay good money that microbial life existed on Mars at some point in the last few hundred million years - though, evidently, not now.

Europa and Enceladus please. ASAP.

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

Yep, that was the truly interesting part.

At this point, I'd lay good money that microbial life existed on Mars at some point in the last few hundred million years - though, evidently, not now.

Europa and Enceladus please. ASAP.

Why do you favour that explanation, Mac?