Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Technology, Science and the Environment.

Sounds like all talk and very little action.

UK steps towards zero-carbon economy

By Roger HarrabinBBC environment analyst

8 hours ago

The UK is taking a tentative step towards a radical "green" future with zero emissions of greenhouse gases.

The government is formally seeking Committee on Climate Change guidance about how and when to make this leap.

If it happens it would mark an extraordinary transformation of an economy built on burning fossil fuels.

The decision was prompted by last week's UN report warning that CO2 emissions must be stopped completely to avoid dangerous climate disruption.

Climate minister Claire Perry told BBC News: "The report was a really stark and sober piece of work - a good piece of work. 

"Now we know what the goal is and we know what some of the levers are.

"But for me, the constant question is what is the cost and who's going to bear that, both in the UK and in the global economy.

"The question is: what does government need to do, where can the private sector come in, and what technologies will come through?"

Green GB week

Ms Perry has declared this week to be Green GB Week, which aims to raise debate in society about how to tackle climate change while also growing the economy. 

The UK's current target is a reduction of 80% of emissions by 2050 based on 1990 levels.

But the CCC, which is an independent body set up to advise the government on emissions targets, is warning the UK will drift further away from this goal unless new policies are introduced.

Experts say greater emissions cuts are already needed from cars, planes, industry, waste, farming, meat consumption and heating.

Green groups have derided recent environmentally-damaging policies like expanding Heathrow, promoting fracking, freezing fuel duty, virtually banning onshore wind power, scrapping solar subsidies, and cancelling zero carbon homes.

Only last week the government reduced subsidies for electric cars. And the UK's export credit agency - which underwrites risky export deals to boost international trade - announced it is considering finance for an expansion of an oil refinery in Bahrain.

The campaign group Global Witness said this made the UK's claim to global climate leadership "laughable".

And the CCC said progress with electric vehicles was too slow, with too few charging points.

But Ms Perry defended the government's record. She said: "I want my next vehicle to be electric". "The challenge in Devizes (her constituency) is range anxiety. As part of Green GB week we are urging people to take a test drive in an electric vehicle."

She also backed the UK's decision to scrap solar feed-in tariffs. 

"We have spent billions of pounds of taxpayers' money - other people's money - to stimulate the roll-out of solar panels on people's homes," she said.

"In my constituency I met a lady who said, 'look at my solar panels'. I said: 'Great - what's happened to your electricity bill?' She said, 'I don't know - but my accountant said I could get 12% a year from installing them'. Surely that's not a good way to spend other people's money?"

She also defended fracking. "Those who speak so strongly of need to accept scientific evidence of climate change are happy to chuck the scientific evidence of the safety of shale gas exploration in the bin.

"Why would you want to import gas when you could create your own?" she asked.

18 hours ago, davieG said:

Sounds like all talk and very little action.

UK steps towards zero-carbon economy

By Roger HarrabinBBC environment analyst

8 hours ago

The UK is taking a tentative step towards a radical "green" future with zero emissions of greenhouse gases.

The government is formally seeking Committee on Climate Change guidance about how and when to make this leap.

If it happens it would mark an extraordinary transformation of an economy built on burning fossil fuels.

The decision was prompted by last week's UN report warning that CO2 emissions must be stopped completely to avoid dangerous climate disruption.

Climate minister Claire Perry told BBC News: "The report was a really stark and sober piece of work - a good piece of work. 

"Now we know what the goal is and we know what some of the levers are.

"But for me, the constant question is what is the cost and who's going to bear that, both in the UK and in the global economy.

"The question is: what does government need to do, where can the private sector come in, and what technologies will come through?"

Green GB week

Ms Perry has declared this week to be Green GB Week, which aims to raise debate in society about how to tackle climate change while also growing the economy. 

The UK's current target is a reduction of 80% of emissions by 2050 based on 1990 levels.

But the CCC, which is an independent body set up to advise the government on emissions targets, is warning the UK will drift further away from this goal unless new policies are introduced.

Experts say greater emissions cuts are already needed from cars, planes, industry, waste, farming, meat consumption and heating.

Green groups have derided recent environmentally-damaging policies like expanding Heathrow, promoting fracking, freezing fuel duty, virtually banning onshore wind power, scrapping solar subsidies, and cancelling zero carbon homes.

Only last week the government reduced subsidies for electric cars. And the UK's export credit agency - which underwrites risky export deals to boost international trade - announced it is considering finance for an expansion of an oil refinery in Bahrain.

The campaign group Global Witness said this made the UK's claim to global climate leadership "laughable".

And the CCC said progress with electric vehicles was too slow, with too few charging points.

But Ms Perry defended the government's record. She said: "I want my next vehicle to be electric". "The challenge in Devizes (her constituency) is range anxiety. As part of Green GB week we are urging people to take a test drive in an electric vehicle."

She also backed the UK's decision to scrap solar feed-in tariffs. 

"We have spent billions of pounds of taxpayers' money - other people's money - to stimulate the roll-out of solar panels on people's homes," she said.

"In my constituency I met a lady who said, 'look at my solar panels'. I said: 'Great - what's happened to your electricity bill?' She said, 'I don't know - but my accountant said I could get 12% a year from installing them'. Surely that's not a good way to spend other people's money?"

She also defended fracking. "Those who speak so strongly of need to accept scientific evidence of climate change are happy to chuck the scientific evidence of the safety of shale gas exploration in the bin.

"Why would you want to import gas when you could create your own?" she asked.

When are these ministers going to get their heads around the idea that the Earth doesn't give two shits about economics?

WRT fracking, I can see where she's coming from but I think I'll wait for a consensus in favour of fracking being environmentally safer than other methods that is as overwhelming as the one in favour of climate change before I'll sign off on it, thanks.

Oh, and while getting to grips with fusion power down here is a good idea, there's also a perfectly serviceable natural one about eight light minutes away that would provide more energy than we might ever need. Just a question of logistics and will, if it can be done.

Edited by leicsmac

4 hours ago, leicsmac said:

When are these ministers going to get their heads around the idea that the Earth doesn't give two shits about economics?

WRT fracking, I can see where she's coming from but I think I'll wait for a consensus in favour of fracking being environmentally safer than other methods that is as overwhelming as the one in favour of climate change before I'll sign off on it, thanks.

Isn't the science settled on fracking? 

5 hours ago, Webbo said:

Isn't the science settled on fracking? 

Not nearly to the degree of scientific consensus shown for climate change - not yet, anyway. Trade secrets involving the nature of the chemicals used in it are a concern, for one thing, and bad work practices another.

5 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

Interesting piece on shady tech biz antics and the right to repair.

Doesn't surprise me in the least.

• 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I remember hearing about this before.

Excellent stuff - innovations like this make me come down on the optimistic side of the fence, so long as they're well implemented.

Then you remember that the leader of the free world thinks it's all a hoax designed to given their opponents an edge in a trade war, while the rest of the western world is too far gone into the modern notion that human lives exist to serve capital, rather than the other way around and won't act to ensure little Timmy doesn't spend his 50th birthday Mad Maxing it in a dead world unless its cheap enough. The human race is doomed.

7 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Then you remember that the leader of the free world thinks it's all a hoax designed to given their opponents an edge in a trade war, while the rest of the western world is too far gone into the modern notion that human lives exist to serve capital, rather than the other way around and won't act to ensure little Timmy doesn't spend his 50th birthday Mad Maxing it in a dead world unless its cheap enough. The human race is doomed.

Oh yeah, the smart money is on a Fury Road future rather than The Next Generation (even though you'd have to find an extraterrestrial bookie to collect), but I'm not with those who say it's a certainty - not just yet.

2 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

The Holocene Extinction Event (by the metrics of previous such events) has been in full swing for a while now.

And all (or at least mostly) down to human activity.

Isn't it great to be unique among all of Earth's species in that way?

A lot going on today:

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-46064266

Is what's going on clear enough yet?

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-46063097

Who would you go for? I'd be happy with either Hawking or Turing.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-46071985

There are still better ways to source energy that can be put in motion, IMO.

Lions blamed as hundreds of buffalo drown

BuffaloesSerondela Lodge Local people woke up to find hundreds of dead buffaloes in the Chobe River

Hundreds of buffaloes have drowned in a river on the border between Botswana and Namibia.

Early investigations suggest the herd was being chased by lions and ran into the river, say Botswana authorities. 

A local lodge owner told the BBC that it looks like the buffaloes then got stuck because the bank on the other side of the river was too high and that they panicked and stampeded.

He has never heard of such a large group of buffaloes drowning before. 

The authorities in Botswana estimate that roughly 400 buffaloes died.

People living in the area collected the buffaloes and took them home to eat.

The river flows through the Chobe National Park, a major tourist attraction known for its huge numbers of elephants, giraffe, sable and buffalo.

Simone Micheletti, who owns a lodge on the Namibian side of the river, said that the herd was unusually large - at roughly 1,000 buffaloes. 

He took photos of the scene:

BuffaloesSerondela Lodge BuffaloSerondela Lodge

Mr Micheletti told the BBC that he heard the lions roaring a lot on Tuesday night. When he went down to the river on Wednesday morning he saw hundreds of dead buffaloes.

He added that it was cloudy on Tuesday night so he suspects the clouds blocked the moonlight, meaning the buffaloes couldn't see. 

Presentational grey line

You may also be interested in: 

Presentational grey line

Botswana's environment ministry released a statement saying that mass drownings are not unusual in the Chobe River, but Mr Micheletti says that the scale of the deaths is unheard of. The biggest mass drowning he has heard of before was around 50 buffaloes. 

He said that most of the bodies have been taken out of the river by people living nearby in order to eat them, something he said the authorities have given them permission to do.

Woman holding buffalo legSerondela Lodge People holding buffaloesSerondela Lodge People on river bankSerondela Lodge

They migrate once or twice a year over the Chobe onto a strip of land to get safe from predators - you see thousands of them crossing at a time though a tiny number of them drown. I’ve seen them do it but never at this time of year. 

5 hours ago, Buce said:

I’m sure @leicsmac will be able to tell us why this isn’t a huge waste of time and money:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/nov/09/in-the-balance-scientists-vote-on-first-change-to-kilogram-in-century

Certainly. :D

Having a standard measurement based on an object that...isn't standard and fluctuates - even if only a little - simply isn't necessary for this day and age, not when the accuracy of measurements needs to be the best it can be and better solutions exist. Like tying the metre to the speed of light rather than basing it on a physical object as they did in 1983, this update makes sense.

We're just five years away from harnessing almost unlimited power from "miniature suns", some start-ups say: nuclear fusion reactors that could provide abundant, cheap and clean energy.

How 'miniature suns' could provide cheap, clean energy

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46219656

On 08/09/2018 at 14:24, Wymeswold fox said:

Something like this would probably be the best and most-closet way in dealing with this plastic pollution issue.

Think it'll take a long time and trial and error to produce a product with this that works almost 100%.

Fair play to him for his idea, as not sure what other better alternative someone else could come up with to tackle the problem.

The point on downsides...disagree. There will be no fish,only algae if we don't act.

plus there must be enough money,through business and Wlife charities,to produce at least 1 ship per ocean,if not 2!!

All countries Taxes,on plastic firms,must go to support this idea!!!    Where there's a will there's a way!!!

Tomorrow's World BBC 4 tonight 22/11 at 9:00pm

Tomorrow's World is back for one night only in a special live 90-minute edition of the iconic science and technology programme.

Led by much-loved presenters Maggie Philbin and Howard Stableford, alongside Dr Hannah Fry, the programme takes a nostalgic look back at highlights from the archive, discovers the latest in British invention, tests cutting-edge technologies live in the studio, and looks forward to the science and technology that will shape our future.

• Like 3