Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Technology, Science and the Environment.

47 minutes ago, SMX11 said:

Agreed, it is just hypercharged with social media and 24hr news. 

Just because it's perceived to not be as much of a problem as social media makes out doesn't mean there isn't a problem...and it doesn't really matter what social media or the news say anyway when it's global governments that actually have to do the work (which, by and large, they are not). Increased flooding is hardly the only long term consequence of climate change, anyway.

I've yet to see a cogent argument against the risk averse path using Pascals Wager (movement to cut emissions by modifying the way we use transportation, generate energy and process resources) that prepares for the worst and in so doing cuts out a lot of associated pollution, either - it's simply investing some now to avoid the possibility, however low, of paying a great deal more later.

4 hours ago, SMX11 said:

Agreed, it is just hypercharged with social media and 24hr news. 

Of course there have always been floods - this is after all the UK. However, as population density increases, development encroaches on floodplains and natural drainage is lost, the problem is significantly exacerbated. In view of this and given that many parts of the country are already susceptible and vulnerable to flooding, projections show that this effect is only going to get worse in relation to climate change. We are simply not doing enough to adapt to the effects of a warming climate.

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

They'll be some of the first feckers to drown when sea levels rise, so they'll rep what they sow. 

I mean that is one way of looking at it.  The other is that they have a ****ing massive army, and would probably move in on higher ground whether they own it or not.

8 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

I mean that is one way of looking at it.  The other is that they have a ****ing massive army, and would probably move in on higher ground whether they own it or not.

This is probably true.

I don't get why people think that climate change and the changes it brings are the only dangerous thing in of itself. All it takes is a couple of leading nations (or merely very populous ones) to have stressors on food, potable water and living space in general and good old fashioned nationalism might end up doing the rest of natures job for it. Or just leave it to mop up what survivors remain, anyway.

How many different red flags do there have to be?

Concentrations of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere are at an all time high, are increasing quicker than before, and still show no signs of slowing down. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-50504131

"It is worth recalling that the last time the Earth experienced a comparable concentration of CO2 was three to five million years ago. Back then, the temperature was 2-3C warmer, sea level was 10-20m higher than now." 

It's going to get much, much worse before it gets any better isn't it? :(

1 hour ago, The Bear said:

Concentrations of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere are at an all time high, are increasing quicker than before, and still show no signs of slowing down. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-50504131

"It is worth recalling that the last time the Earth experienced a comparable concentration of CO2 was three to five million years ago. Back then, the temperature was 2-3C warmer, sea level was 10-20m higher than now." 

It's going to get much, much worse before it gets any better isn't it? :(

Yes, yes it is - but I think there is still time to either mitigate or at the very least prepare.

But that requires a unified front, something far too many people seem to be either afraid of, abhorrently opposed to through nationalism, or in sheer denial. (Or a combination of the three.)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/startswithabang/2019/05/16/your-glorified-ignorance-wasnt-cool-then-and-your-scientific-illiteracy-isnt-cool-now/#371167654b61

Further to what was briefly mentioned in the election thread.

It's safe to say anti-intellectualism concerns me greatly, and Dr Siegel puts exactly why across much better than I ever could.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, leicsmac said:

https://www.menshealth.com/uk/fitness/a26798247/trans-athletes-sporting-performance/

Interesting article about trans athletes and the advantages they may - or as it turns out - may not have.

The most interesting part of this article for me was the legacy effect. The fact they don't know whether theres a long term impact or not of higher testosterone levels (In male to female transition at least) is a big one for me still. The marginal gains are incredibly important in elite sports so clearly there's still a lot of research to be done.

We don't fully know every impact of the hormones in the body, so few are in a position to say whether trans athletes gain an advantage or not. It's a complex topic and in all honesty this will continue to be a hot topic until someone proves one way or another.

3 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

The most interesting part of this article for me was the legacy effect. The fact they don't know whether theres a long term impact or not of higher testosterone levels (In male to female transition at least) is a big one for me still. The marginal gains are incredibly important in elite sports so clearly there's still a lot of research to be done.

We don't fully know every impact of the hormones in the body, so few are in a position to say whether trans athletes gain an advantage or not. It's a complex topic and in all honesty this will continue to be a hot topic until someone proves one way or another.

That's about the size of it, aye.

Which is why I wish a lot of folks wouldn't talk about it as if it were cut and dried, because it really isn't.

On 09/12/2019 at 01:09, leicsmac said:

That's about the size of it, aye.

Which is why I wish a lot of folks wouldn't talk about it as if it were cut and dried, because it really isn't.

I've had a think; and a big factor I believe would all depend on when the changing of gender happened; if later on in life when a male has had chance to fully develop then the male will likely have more muscle mass than a female which could be an advantage in competition.  

Obviously thats my understanding based upon some studying through a degree so good chance I could be wrong or have misinterpreted aspects. 

On 12/12/2019 at 08:06, ozleicester said:

Very worrying indeed - a real concern that those bloody Aussies will start coming back here!  We'll be awash with scooners of VB and Hats with Corks if we don't do something about this climate change lark.

In all seriousness though - pretty stark reading of whats kicking off in Australia at the minute - which makes it even more mind boggling with the amount of Coal you boys dig up and send to China.