Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Technology, Science and the Environment.

9 minutes ago, twoleftfeet said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-50316561

So the rights of the few out way the rights of others could this lead to more scenes like that at Canning town as the general public find the Police unwilling or unable to protect their rights to carry on with life as normal?

XR are practically the very definition of "not helping your cause" right now.

That doesn't mean, however, that the cause itself isn't very real and very important in order to actually preserve any kind of rights that a societal structure brings along with any kind of carrying on with life as normal.

26 minutes ago, Tommo220 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-50267017

Fusion is still another 5 years away.  bloody hope i'm still alive by the time this becomes a reality.

Me too.

One thing that they don't really touch on in that article is the scale of energy generation possible using fusion - it's an order of magnitude more powerful than any other source.

It's just bloody difficult.

Lot's of coverage on the floods but I feel that the biggest threat here is either being deliberately played down by the media or they just havn't realised it yet, but the floods can literally only get worse. *Normal* hydrology in the UK dictates that the water table is at its lowest in late summer, early autumn and at it's highest in spring, yet it's November and we are already at saturation point. Most of the current flood water probably fell in the unusually wet September we had. It generally takes months for rain water to infiltrate soil and fall into the groundwater flow part of the hydrological cycle to peak the water table; in the UK late autumn and winter are the 'rainy season' and generally water sits around anyway due to a complete slowdown in evapotranspiration, hence why the water table reaches it's peak usually in Spring. If we have a wet/snowy winter (and the Met office are suggesting January and February could be very snowy next year) then I hate to think what the floods will look like in March/April.

If we don't get a grip on current upland management (IE stop draining peat and blanket bog, muirburn etc for the sake of grouse shooting alongside grazing literally millions of sheep too many) and start re-vegetating (doesn't have to all be extensive woodland, it could be grassland, restored heath or montane scrub), put our rivers back to their natural courses before we channelised them all and re-introduce the native beaver en masse then we are going to have some seriously difficult times ahead.

Edited by SecretPro

Cant see why the Bloodhound stuff is in the science and environment section of the BBC its not science it is engineering and its not environmental news unless it was a story about look how much fuel we can waste for no benefit or practical reason what so ever. lets be honest its not even a car at best its a jet with no wings and bigger wheels if you cut the wings off a jumbo jet and ran it along the runway would it set the world speed record for a bus.

Bloodhound is not a car and cannot hold the UK land speed record for a car because the maximum permitted length for a rigid vehicle other than a bus is 12 meters and at 12.9m it cannot be classified as a car.

On 16/11/2019 at 15:58, leicsmac said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-50438041

This could, unfortunately, merely be the start.

Not really, the River Trent used to flood most years and has done for hundreds of years (see Swarkestone Bridge), it's only the past 15-20 tears it's been fairly low and then suddenly, this year we get a bit of a flood and it's the end of the world.

11 minutes ago, twoleftfeet said:

Cant see why the Bloodhound stuff is in the science and environment section of the BBC its not science it is engineering and its not environmental news unless it was a story about look how much fuel we can waste for no benefit or practical reason what so ever. lets be honest its not even a car at best its a jet with no wings and bigger wheels if you cut the wings off a jumbo jet and ran it along the runway would it set the world speed record for a bus.

Bloodhound is not a car and cannot hold the UK land speed record for a car because the maximum permitted length for a rigid vehicle other than a bus is 12 meters and at 12.9m it cannot be classified as a car.

It probably belongs in the Tech section as opposed to the Science one, yes - and it appears that the world speed record criteria are largely applied by the FIA rather than a British authority, which makes sense seeing as it's a world as opposed to a purely UK one.

That being said, I can think of far more significant wastes of time, money and fuel than this one happening right now.

1 minute ago, yorkie1999 said:

Not really, the River Trent used to flood most years and has done for hundreds of years (see Swarkestone Bridge), it's only the past 15-20 tears it's been fairly low and then suddenly, this year we get a bit of a flood and it's the end of the world.

I hope that you're right about it, and moreover I hope that the theory won't have to be tested at all and that weather phenomena in the UK and the world don't end up becoming more devastating more regularly.

29 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I hope that you're right about it, and moreover I hope that the theory won't have to be tested at all and that weather phenomena in the UK and the world don't end up becoming more devastating more regularly.

Put it like this, when was the last time you saw Safran Lane looking like this? 

download.jpg.5f23eeea7c567cf14fcff75a473371df.jpg

Or Melton looking like this

739829109_download(1).jpg.e3761801886a075c8bcfccaeeaebc638.jpg

I think the problem now with flooding in this country is down to the water authorities and building developers diverting natural water courses away from their true course. I read somewhere that the river don had been altered over the years to allow for new building projects by straightening it up, consequently accelerating the flow of the water during heavy rainfall which then floods villages like fishlake.  It's got to end up somewhere.

Edited by yorkie1999

18 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

I think the problem now with flooding in this country is down to the water authorities and building developers diverting natural water courses away from their true course. I read somewhere that the river don had been altered over the years to allow for new building projects by straightening it up, consequently accelerating the flow of the water during heavy rainfall which then floods villages like fishlake.  It's got to end up somewhere.

I think the way the pathways of rivers and the like has been messed up does have an effect, yeah. It would make sense.

However, I also think that will only exacerbate a problem that already exists - but like I said, I hope I'm wrong.

https://www.space.com/jupiter-moon-europa-water-vapor-confirmed.html

We've found water in solid form there, and water in vapour form there.

It therefore stands to reason that there is both water in the third form (liquid) and the mechanics to switch it from one form to another (probably tectonics) there too. Exciting times!

Edit: it could also be just sublimation directly from solid to gas states given the low temperature and pressure...but who knows?

Edited by leicsmac

My back garden is about 100yds from the river Trent in Burton, and flooding has happened for years and years. (Though not for me, I am a few metres above it). This year is nothing special in terms of getting right up near bursting it's banks. The biggest local change has been the roads flooding a lot easier. Which must be down to drainage and the sewerage system changes. 

20 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

I read somewhere that mismanagement of uplands means the water is also getting into the rivers much more quickly.

21 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

Agreed, it is just hypercharged with social media and 24hr news.