Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
RumbleFox

Premier League clubs vote to move transfer deadline from 2018-19

Not sure where this should go so move or merge if necessary....

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/sep/07/premier-league-clubs-transfer-window-before-start-season

Premier League clubs vote to close transfer window before start of season

Change will be brought in for start of 2018-19 season after vote 
 New rule means clubs will only be able to sign players before first match

Premier League clubs have voted to close the transfer window before the start of the domestic season, coming into force before the 2018-19 campaign.

The summer transfer window will now shut at 5pm on Thursday before the start of the season, with the change only affecting incoming signings. The Premier League is the first European elite division to abandon a deadline at or around the end of August, meaning they will still be able to sell players in Europe after that date but not recruit.

The 20 top-flight chairmen met in a central London hotel to consider the proposed changes, with discussions lasting three and a half hours. It is understood 14 voted in favour of the amendment, with five against and one abstention, believed to be the Burnley chairman, Mike Garlick. Those opposed to the rule change worry Premier League clubs will be left short if their players are bought after the domestic window shut.

The move comes after the start of this season was dominated by uncertainty over the future of Liverpool’s Philippe Coutinho, Everton’s Ross Barkley and Swansea City’s Gylfi Sigurdsson.

The Premier League chairman, Richard Scudamore, said there was an overwhelming sense in the meeting that clubs wanted to start the season with more certainty over their squad.

Although no specific cases were cited in discussions, closing the window before the start of the domestic season would also avoid the situation that arose when Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain played in Arsenal’s 4-0 defeat at Liverpool before joining the Merseyside club less than a week later.

It is understood Liverpool’s refusal to sell Coutinho to Barcelona convinced many detractors that the Premier League could plough a lone furrow without the rest of Europe although Germany’s Bundesliga is most likely to follow suit.

The Uefa president, Alexander Ceferin, has also backed closing the window earlier in an interview with German broadcasters ARD: “Yes, I think that it is open for too long. It is strange that you play for one clubs when the season starts and then that you can simply play for another one. That is not good for the competition. We are in serious discussions over shortening the transfer window.”

Asked when the window should close, Ceferin added: “I think that it is no bad idea to close the window at the end of July.”

4 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Makes far more sense, ends the ridiculous circus.

And next year clubs will be complaining that players will be able to leave the day before their first game and want it switched again.

I dont understand how an organisation ( FIFA, FA) can tell someone when they can and can not switch jobs

10 minutes ago, TheyCallMeMrCarbohydrate said:

Leicester and Tottenham going toe to toe for the title with 5 games to go. Tottenham offer £50m for Mahrez/Vardy and open up a massive can of worms.

I dont ever remember that being a problem - People are not stupid,  they would realize that for what it was. Besides that would potentially unsettle spurs' players as well as someone would feel like they were about to be replaced.. so i dont think you'd have  many instances of that happening at all..

I just feel like it would take a lot of pressure off of the clubs and  put the control back to the club as to when they are able to sell a player - not until they have an adequate replacement in place and would stop any more instances of the Adrien Silva deal happening again where we are now left paying the wages of a player who cant play . Right now it feels like we were forced to sell an unhappy player because of the deadline. With transfer windows taken away we would of had the time to find the player we wanted to replace him with and DD would of maybe handled it a bit better himself as he wouldn't of felt the pressure to get the move because of the deadline fast approaching.

1 minute ago, MPH said:

I dont ever remember that being a problem - People are not stupid,  they would realize that for what it was.

I just feel like it would take a lot of pressure off of the clubs and  put the control back to the club as to when they are able to sell a player - not until they have an adequate replacement in place and would stop any more instances of the Adrien Silva deal happening again where we are now left paying the wages of a player who cant play . Right now it feels like we were forced to sell an unhappy player now because of the deadline. With transfer windows taken away we would of had the time to find the player we wanted to replace him with and DD would of maybe handled it a bit better himself as he wouldnt of felt the pressure to get the move because of the deadline fast approaching.

We didn't HAVE to sell Drinkwater at all though did we? He put his future in the clubs hands when he signed his last contract.

Look at the Sanchez situation, and Mahrez for that matter, they both made it clear they wanted away this summer and now they both (if they have any sense) realise that they've got to knuckle down and be professional to get the move that they want. Sanchez would probably have never played for Arsenal again if there wasn't a transfer window!

Its not stopped players leaving though has it, so teams from say Spain could come in a take the best players out with enough money still and now English clubs wont be able to bring in a replacement. This might also add a premium to prices as clubs from other countries know English clubs have a shorter clock and have the TV money.

How does this help in any way, if they couldnt leave too its understandable but it seems like theyve shot English clubs in the foot possibly

1 minute ago, SpazticChicken said:

Its not stopped players leaving though has it, so teams from say Spain could come in a take the best players out with enough money still and now English clubs wont be able to bring in a replacement. This might also add a premium to prices as clubs from other countries know English clubs have a shorter clock and have the TV money.

How does this help in any way, if they couldnt leave too its understandable but it seems like theyve shot English clubs in the foot possibly

Arsenal didn't sell Sanchez expressly because they couldn't get a replacement in. Why would it be any different if there was a three gap between windows?

3 minutes ago, Turbogre said:

It would only be fair if ALL the leagues done it before the season starts! Now England has a massive disadvantage in Europe again! (as if we didn't have one bad enough already)

The premier leage is the richest league in the world, all other FA's around the world will start to follow suit

10 minutes ago, MPH said:

I dont ever remember that being a problem - People are not stupid,  they would realize that for what it was. Besides that would potentially unsettle spurs' players as well as someone would feel like they were about to be replaced.. so i dont think you'd have  many instances of that happening at all..

I just feel like it would take a lot of pressure off of the clubs and  put the control back to the club as to when they are able to sell a player - not until they have an adequate replacement in place and would stop any more instances of the Adrien Silva deal happening again where we are now left paying the wages of a player who cant play . Right now it feels like we were forced to sell an unhappy player because of the deadline. With transfer windows taken away we would of had the time to find the player we wanted to replace him with and DD would of maybe handled it a bit better himself as he wouldn't of felt the pressure to get the move because of the deadline fast approaching.

It's only for incoming it won't have stopped the Courtino (sp) situation. Well as I understand it.

Guest BlueBrett
14 minutes ago, Turbogre said:

It would only be fair if ALL the leagues done it before the season starts! Now England has a massive disadvantage in Europe again! (as if we didn't have one bad enough already)

Why?

Clubs aren't going to sell players that are integral to their squad in the weeks after the inbound window closes. They will be under no more pressure to do so during this period than at any other time as far as I can see. In fact it will be easier for them to justify holding onto talented wantaways during these weeks by explaining to them that they can't leave as there is no prospect of bringing in a replacement so they'll have to wait for the next window. Anyone with a reasonable bone in their body would have to accept that.

It will give them a bit more time to trim the fat off the squad though once they've established a core that they're happy with throughout the closed season. They'll potentially be able to be more proactive about offloading unwanted players without being preoccupied by the more urgent challenge of bringing in quality.

They could buy off each other...such as Rodriguez to Bayern from Real Madrid or Costa from Bayern to Juventus.

They're all going to get stronger by having that advantage, I didn't mean buying our players.

Like Brexit. Doesn't matter which set of people voted in or out. It's the total count that matters.  I bet though that at most only two top 6 clubs voted yes to this.

11 minutes ago, TheyCallMeMrCarbohydrate said:

We didn't HAVE to sell Drinkwater at all though did we? He put his future in the clubs hands when he signed his last contract.

Look at the Sanchez situation, and Mahrez for that matter, they both made it clear they wanted away this summer and now they both (if they have any sense) realise that they've got to knuckle down and be professional to get the move that they want. Sanchez would probably have never played for Arsenal again if there wasn't a transfer window!

Well it depends what you mean by HAVE to sell him.... having one player playing for your team is somewhat manageable but having  more than that is potentially disastrous... 

And as for Mahrez.. well  Would he of felt the need/pressure of coming out with a public statement about wanting to move on if he didnt feel the pressure of a  time-limiting window?

I dont quite understand how you come to the conclusion Sanchez  never of played for them again without the window... maybe he wouldnt of thrown his toys out of the Pram if 9it hadnt of been for the pressure of a transfer window?

We wouldnt of Had the Ulloa incident either... Players officiously come to the conclusion that they NEED a move right now so they are not 'stuck' playing for a club or manager they don't really want to be stuck with

11 minutes ago, davieG said:

It's only for incoming it won't have stopped the Courtino (sp) situation. Well as I understand it.

?

for every selling club, there's a buying club and i'd suspect that if you look at the whole of English football, the majority of  deals are done English to English club

15 minutes ago, MPH said:

I dont quite understand how you come to the conclusion Sanchez  never of played for them again without the window... maybe he wouldnt of thrown his toys out of the Pram if 9it hadnt of been for the pressure of a transfer window?

Obviously I'm speculating here, but it seemed as though Sanchez was unprepared to play for whilst they was a possibility that he could go elsewhere. If he's able to do that for the first few games of the season what's to stop him doing it for six months until Arsenal agree to let him go?

To go back to my main point though, and again I could be wrong on this, but I thought restrictions on buying and selling players during the season were to protect the integrity of the various leagues and to prevent the bigger clubs using their extra clout to gain an unfair advantage over the smaller clubs whether in reality or perception.

18 minutes ago, MPH said:

?

for every selling club, there's a buying club and i'd suspect that if you look at the whole of English football, the majority of  deals are done English to English club

Not sure that's relevant as there will still be lots of speculation about players leaving not least because the media will have space to fill.

Archived