Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bazly

Nigel Pearson working for KP again

Do any other clubs continuously talk about previous managers returning as much as we do? For years we had people asking for a MON return and now Pearson.

I love Pearson, would get behind a return 100% if it happened but we've moved on.

38 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Do any other clubs continuously talk about previous managers returning as much as we do? For years we had people asking for a MON return and now Pearson.

I love Pearson, would get behind a return 100% if it happened but we've moved on.

For clubs outside of the top six who have a manager who brought them success, yes. 

Keegan at Newcastle, Davies at Forest, Howe at Bournemouth, Kendall at Everton are all examples where managers returned in part because the fans were wanting a return. You could even argue Mourinho at Chelsea. 

1 hour ago, Long Eaton Fox said:

No because they all seem to appoint foreign managers, who know nothing about english football, who turn out to be crap and are sacked within the season.

Does this ring any bells?

So who appointed, Shakespeare, Lambert, Moyes, Hughes , Pardew, Pulis, Clements,  Big Sam, Sean Dyche, Eddie Howe, Chris Hughton  all British managers, 5 of whom were sacked for being crap.

38 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

So who appointed, Shakespeare, Lambert, Moyes, Hughes , Pardew, Pulis, Clements,  Big Sam, Sean Dyche, Eddie Howe, Chris Hughton  all British managers, 5 of whom were sacked for being crap.

Unlike Pearson who has not been sacked for being crap,only for saying crap.

2 hours ago, inckley fox said:

Okay, I'm going to try to go through these points one by one, including those you added to my original post. Sorry if it's a bit long.

1. You say he struggled to get the best out of Vardy and Mahrez, which is true, but remember that these guys were also adapting to top flight football. Vardy blew hot and cold early on so we tried him in different roles until, final quarter of the season, he began to thrive. Similar could be said of Mahrez, who talked more than once about how being dropped by Pearson motivated him. If he's going to push on as a player after Leicester, I suspect another manager will have to take a hard-line with him too, and it might not have hurt in the second half of this season. So I see no shame in Pearson taking a while to turn second tier players into top flight players.

2. It certainly didn't take him 30 games to try three CBs, we played a 5-4-1 as of the Arsenal game in mid-February (with 13 or 14 games to go). As regards us going 3-5-2 in order to tighten up defensively, prior to that we'd only shipped more than two goals on three occasions, I think. The game when we conceded the most was Spurs (3-4), after the switch to 3-5-2. It was considered an all-out attack approach, rather than a shoring up of the defence, when he made that final conversion to a standard 3-5-2. 

3. I'm sure your involvement in local football gives you a better insight into tactics than me, though I'd like to add that tactics do interest me but I don't feel enough of an authority to compare successful top level managers on their tactical nous. Successful managers vs. unsuccessful ones would be easier, but I'm not enough of an expert to tell you what the likes of Eriksson did right and Pearson did wrong. My suspicion is that Pearson got his tactics right more often than Sven. And if the likes of Arsene Wenger and Alex Ferguson thought Pearson knew what he was doing, tactically or otherwise, then I'd tend to listen.

4. I agree he was slow to make changes. Look how long Konchesky lasted in the side in 2014-15, for instance. But he explained many times that in order to foster the right spirit, and encourage a gradual transition, he couldn't always make sweeping changes. Puel might have benefited from this advice. As for subs, I never considered him especially poor at them, even if others disagreed.

5. I agree that Pleat, Taylor and Levein weren't tactically astute - that's my point! But they were all supposed to be. Sven actually talked about how in-depth Taylor's knowledge of tactics was, and he was widely praised for what a student of the game he was. It didn't count for much.

6. NP was good but never brilliant? Not the case with us, unless you're the sort of fan who would give the credit for signing Vardy, Mahrez, Drinkwater to the board who signed the cheques for 1m, 350K, 750K, rather than the management team who found players worth a sum total of 150 or 200m for next to nothing. And, on top of that, to go from the third tier to the top, keep a side up and leave them with an in-form side (assembled on a budget) which would stay in form and win the league a year later... you'd have to be a little ungrateful not to find that brilliant. Do PL clubs want him? No, he was too way awkward. They'd prefer the merry-go-round of Puel, Pardew, Pulis, Moyes etc.  But thankfully we had Pearson, and while he didn't win the league for us, he was the difference between a third tier side and a side which was a year off winning it. 

7. He wasn't average in the Great Escape season. In fact, by definition he wasn't, because the average position of a promoted side is lower than our finish under NP. To keep a side up, to end a season in that sort of form and capable of doing what they did next, suggests a guy who'd done somewhat better than the average newly-promoted boss.

8. As for Derby, just as you point out that Sousa's stay at Leicester wasn't long enough for us to judge, I think the same could be applied to Pearson at Derby. No manager has gone there and evaded the sack under Mel Morris, and they knew full well that Pearson needs time to establish himself (something which may be an issue if we're considering him for next season, by the way) but they pulled the trigger anyway. I'd be reluctant to use that against him and it certainly has nothing to do with what a great boss he was for us, just like Clough's failure at Leeds tells you nothing about his work for Derby or Forest.

1. The facts are CR got more out of Vardy and Mahrez statistically, you could argued that he turned them into top flight players not NP, whether that would have happened under NP can only be a hypothetical debate.

2. I don't consider it an all out attack formation, for me it a formation to allow you to control the mid-field with 5 against their 4, you've said with 14 games to go, so it still took him 24 games to start to move away from a style of 4-4-2?

3. Doesn't really matter how much experience you have, it's all about having a opinion, you could argue that Sven got more right as a manager as he was successful enough to manage Roma, Lazio and England, however the counter argument is NP did better at Leicester. I just feel NP time here is done, the owners want top six, I don't think NP is able to deliver it.

4. I think he was conservative in his approach, and slow to change, but that's just ,me. 

5. I judge people on what I see, rather than what I'm told, I don't think Rafa is a tactician due to what other people say but from the games I've watched.  

6. No I give credit to Steve Walsh and his recruitment team and then NP, however NP get more credit for bring Walsh and that team together. Its easier to make budget signings in the championship than the Premier league, player have more time to develop. You could argue that neither Mahrez or Vardy blossomed under CR guidance, not NP's. 

When result matter, I don't think PL team care about awkwardness, Big Sam, Pulis, not the easiest to get on with but they still get a jobs. I just think NP hasn't done enough to be considered a regular PL boss, he's had one season at that level.

7. It was pretty much average, the average finishing position in their first season for the 30 promoted sides in the last 10 years is 15.7, in fact until the last 7-8 games it was worse then average. 

I think his achievement were inline with expectations and budget in League 1, he had the biggest budget in the league anything less than promotion was a failure, he did however over achieved in the first season back in the championship. Then he had 2 and a half seasons to lay the foundations to get us promoted, during that time having one of the top budgets in the league

8 . Sousa had 12 games win ratio 33%, Nigel had 14 games at Derby 21% win ratio, both deserved longer, I'm not using it as a reason not to have NP back, just stating that his stock has fallen since his days with us. 

45 minutes ago, Long Eaton Fox said:

Unlike Pearson who has not been sacked for being crap,only for saying crap.

I never said NP was sacked for being crap, just stating that its not true that PL clubs only appoint foreign managers.

NP was sacked because, he at times failed to control himself and the fact he back the club into a corner by disagreeing with the sacking his son after the sex fiasco.    

• Like 1

22 hours ago, lifted*fox said:

A serious question - what do you think of the period where we sailed up from League One and into the PL in a short space of time, all under his guidance?

You've always posted with a pretty harsh anti-Pearson agenda - what exactly has made you that way? What are the crucial moments during his tenure, despite all of the success he bought to us, that have shaped your image of him in this way?

What exactly did he do that ****ed you off so badly?

Your opinion is in the minority and 819 rep points for nearly 10,000 posts tells it's own story but surely when you're swimming up stream all of the time on this particular matter you must wonder why.  

Rep. points don't bother me, and I can truthfully say is something I have even considered. I don't post to make people happy, just my views, as I see them.

I am not going to waste my time going over old ground, on the subject of "Dog" Pearson.

22 hours ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

DT doesn’t like Nigel Pearson as he is a “loud mouth slob” who had the audacity to react to someone shouting obscenities at him. 

I’d love to see how DT would have reacted if someone was shouting abuse at his precious Cilla Black. 

Another cracker mate!

lol

22 hours ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

DT doesn’t like Nigel Pearson as he is a “loud mouth slob” who had the audacity to react to someone shouting obscenities at him. 

I’d love to see how DT would have reacted if someone was shouting abuse at his precious Cilla Black. 

lol "Drongo" :yesyes:

Actually I've known a few people who have abused her. Their opinions are their prerogative, as are mine, or can't you accept that? :nono:

3 minutes ago, DANGEROUS TIGER said:

lol "Drongo" :yesyes:

Actually I've known a few people who have abused her. Their opinions are their prerogative, as are mine, or can't you accept that? :nono:

Sorry DT, I just didn’t know you liked ‘Our Cilla’.

It was a ‘surprise surprise’

lol

Hope you’re ok by the way.

Just now, Col city fan said:

Sorry DT, I just didn’t know you liked ‘Our Cilla’.

It was a ‘surprise surprise’

lol

Hope you’re ok by the way.

Hi Col, I feel good now. The two doses of pneumonia gave me plenty of rest, although it wasn't fun.

Hope you are keeping well, and the rest of your family too. :yesyes:

• 7 months later...