Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bazly

Nigel Pearson working for KP again

2 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

Probably so he can keep his control and not be ousted by a "bigger" name manager who is unhappy with his DOF 

Anyone in that role and on that money would probably want to protect their own position.

Whether it's good for the club longer term is a different matter.

8 minutes ago, Donut said:

Why don't we get Martin O'Neill back? he won two league cups, reached a final of a third, best Premier League finish at the time, took us to Old Trafford and won, regularly beat Liverpool, gave teams at Filbo a tough game with workmanlike players who had little skill.....like Andy Impey, own goals Sinco, kick everything that moves Savage...........why don't we get him back?

No one flops their cock out for those two. No one talks about the Jimmy Bloomfield era..... People who do things that at AT LEAST the equivalent of what Pearson did, if not certainly more.

Are you being serious... people have been asking for O'Neill back pretty much every time we've sacked a manager in the least 20 years. It's only in the last year died down a little. Plus, we don't currently have half a squad who were singed by or played under him. And we don't have loads of backroom team who were here under O'Neill.

I'm not suggesting he comes back, but seemingly suggesting it's a remotely similar scenario to Micky Adams coming back here is beyond baffling.

• Like 3

Just now, Babylon said:

Are you being serious... people have been asking for O'Neill back pretty much every time we've sacked a manager in the least 20 years. It's only in the last year died down a little. Plus, we don't currently have half a squad who were singed by or played under him. And we don't have loads of backroom team who were here under O'Neill.

I'm not suggesting he comes back, but seemingly suggesting it's a remotely similar scenario to Micky Adams coming back here is beyond baffling.

No, im trying to make a point we could get a better manager with a better track record, and yet we have certain foxestalk posters constantly ramming down our throats how we should appoint Pearson.

Im also making the point that other managers managed in difficult circumstances and achieved things. Of course theyre not similar scenarios but they were both situations where a manager had to manage in adversity and both did brilliantly.

That's why, yes, be thankful for what Pearson gave us but move on. Really.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

I think the DoF would prefer someone like Wagner rather than a bigger name

Not sure how that was first worded to you, but I suspect many of us have just introduced a nuance to that conversation which may not actually have been there ..... and if they haven’t already done so, I’m about to!  But if I was a fully engaged DoF, I’d hope that I wanted the person that afforded us the greatest likelihood of success. Their stature in the game would hopefully be irrelevant.  That may be the case - and they may think Wagner is that person? Or, as someone has already suggested, it may have more to do with egos? Won’t pursue you any more after this, but do you have a sense of which way it leans with regard to my point above? Appreciate your responses, though. Thanks 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TrentFox said:

Not sure how that was first worded to you, but I suspect many of us have just introduced a nuance to that conversation which may not actually have been there ..... and if they haven’t already done so, I’m about to!  But if I was a fully engaged DoF, I’d hope that I wanted the person that afforded us the greatest likelihood of success. Their stature in the game would hopefully be irrelevant.  That may be the case - and they may think Wagner is that person? Or, as someone has already suggested, it may have more to do with egos? Won’t pursue you any more after this, but do you have a sense of which way it leans with regard to my point above? Appreciate your responses, though. Thanks 

Good points there. Without any inside knowledge at all, I would suggest that it is the latter and there will be egos and self preservation involved. 

40 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I'm still asking for O'Neill back now and would take him in a heartbeat. Even with Keane as his assistant (which I realise most on here will disagree with). Keane would soon sort out any dissenters (assuming they exist) in the dressing room, as NP would also.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Donut said:

I don't hate the bloke. I really don't.

I appreciate what hes done IN THE PAST. I want to MOVE FORWARDS.

I just hate the double standards people have when judging our managers and the absolutely nauseating continuous gangbang that ensues every time the name Pearson comes up.

Why don't we get Micky Adams back? 

Why don't we get Martin O'Neill back? 

No one flops their cock out for those two. 

I'd give my left nut for MON to come back. I think many on here would love it too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Koke said:

We rate Pearson, just not as a top 10 manager. If our ambition is to finish 15th then yeah let's get him back. 

Realistically, he stood little chance of finishing top ten in his one and only top flight season. He did end the season in league-winning form and his side did go on to win the league, so the indications are greater that he's a top ten PL manager than Wagner. You may even add Silva to that list.

The big question mark is whether we need someone to act fast upon arrival - which seems to be the case given recent form and pending departures - and whether Pearson would need to evaluate his options for an extended period of time, which is what he's tended to do (see Hull, second stint at Leicester, the failed spell at Derby). There are also doubts as to whether we could put some or all of his management team back together, and whether he personally is as in touch with - and motivated for - English football as he was before.

But it's very misleading to suggest that he's only ever indicated that he's a 15th place manager at best. He finished 14th for a start!

3 hours ago, Koke said:

We rate Pearson, just not as a top 10 manager. If our ambition is to finish 15th then yeah let's get him back. 

When we lose tomorrow and Sunday, we'll finish on 44 points, same as last year and only 3 points ahead of the great escape season. Title winning season aside let's not pretend we're light years ahead of where we were when NP was here. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

When we lose tomorrow and Sunday, we'll finish on 44 points, same as last year and only 3 points ahead of the great escape season. Title winning season aside let's not pretend we're light years ahead of where we were when NP was here. 

Well...the title winning season did happen, so someone moved us forwards to win the title, and even in an atrocious season where we have regressed, we can still finish top half. Which is higher than 14th.

That's if you even read my post, I should hopefully be on ignore by now. A few of you like to stick together. :thumbup:

Edited by Donut

3 hours ago, Koke said:

Come on. What makes you think 15th is the limit for NP? We finished 14th in his first PL season, for a start! That's with a limited budget and a newly-promoted side - one that had been outside the top flight for a decade. We also finished that season in title-winning form. He improved our league position every single season he was here. There's no doubt in my mind that had he not been sacked, we would have improved on 14th. There's no reason to believe we wouldn't.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Donut said:

Well...the title winning season did happen, so someone moved us forwards to win the title, and even in an atrocious season where we have regressed, we can still finish top half.

That's if you even read my post, I should hopefully be on ignore by now. A few of you like to stick together. :thumbup:

Pearson had a role in that. At least half of the summer 2015 business was conducted by Pearson, including targeting Kante and the signings of Huth / Okazaki / Fuchs. It was also a side of almost exclusively his players who won the league, with a management team and set-up which was his. 

Ranieri deserves the credit for winning the league. I don't believe Pearson would have insisted on a 79 point target or earned the 'goodwill factor' in the way that Ranieri did. Claudio helped make it a fairy-tale story, the stuff of dreams, and people bought into the idea. That helped a few other sides go the extra mile for us.

But the upwards trajectory from May 2015 onwards has plenty to do with Pearson too. After all, we'd only ever improved year on year under his guidance, so there's little reason to believe we'd have gone backwards if he'd stayed, even if we wouldn't have won the title.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

Come on. What makes you think 15th is the limit for NP? We finished 14th in his first PL season, for a start! That's with a limited budget and a newly-promoted side - one that had been outside the top flight for a decade. We also finished that season in title-winning form. He improved our league position every single season he was here. There's no doubt in my mind that had he not been sacked, we would have improved on 14th. There's no reason to believe we wouldn't.

That's a fair point. I accept we had an inferior squad and lower transfer budget than now. 

Im.a big fan of Pearson but one of my worries is he has done nothing of note since leaving us 3 years ago. 

Also I just wanna point out that under Pearson we had some horrific runs of bad results. As been mentioned the 14/15 season where we got turned over by average teams on a weekly basis and also the 12/13 season where we went on a shocking fun post-Xmas and barely hung on to a play off spot. And if i remember correctly there were calls for his dismissal by a lot of people on here.

16 minutes ago, Koke said:

That's a fair point. I accept we had an inferior squad and lower transfer budget than now. 

Im.a big fan of Pearson but one of my worries is he has done nothing of note since leaving us 3 years ago. 

Also I just wanna point out that under Pearson we had some horrific runs of bad results. As been mentioned the 14/15 season where we got turned over by average teams on a weekly basis and also the 12/13 season where we went on a shocking fun post-Xmas and barely hung on to a play off spot. And if i remember correctly there were calls for his dismissal by a lot of people on here.

Those are both good points.

Perhaps he doesn't operate as well without Shakey and Walsh. I don't know how he's getting on at his current job.

You're right - there were two spells of poor results. However, during those runs, the team were still competitive and were clearly still putting the required effort in. I think it's true that we never lost by more than 2 goals in 14/15. Beaten by average teams, I grant you. 'Turned over' is a bit of a stretch. We often looked the better side, couldn't convert chances and made costly defensive errors.

I'm sure there were a lot of people calling for his head on here. There are a lot of people on here who never liked him, despite all he did for us.

2 hours ago, inckley fox said:

Pearson had a role in that. At least half of the summer 2015 business was conducted by Pearson, including targeting Kante and the signings of Huth / Okazaki / Fuchs. It was also a side of almost exclusively his players who won the league, with a management team and set-up which was his. 

Ranieri deserves the credit for winning the league. I don't believe Pearson would have insisted on a 79 point target or earned the 'goodwill factor' in the way that Ranieri did. Claudio helped make it a fairy-tale story, the stuff of dreams, and people bought into the idea. That helped a few other sides go the extra mile for us.

But the upwards trajectory from May 2015 onwards has plenty to do with Pearson too. After all, we'd only ever improved year on year under his guidance, so there's little reason to believe we'd have gone backwards if he'd stayed, even if we wouldn't have won the title.

Does Pearson have a role in our downward trajectory now?

Genuine question, not banter or trying to annoy people.

21 minutes ago, Donut said:

Genuine question, not banter or trying to annoy people.

"Player power" aka empowering players was part of Pearson's philosophy. It is/was a good thing for team spirit and for improving players' motivation under a manager who is able to control it. It's a big factor in how we won the title IMO.

Unfortunately this can and will backfire quickly against a manager who cannot deal with it correctly. Sadly, apart from Pearson and Shakespeare, I cannot see anyone else knowing how to handle it, as long as Kasper the ringleader is still around. I felt at the time, and still do, that sacking Shakey was a mistake for this reason. Yes the players got complacent and lazy under Shakey but I believe if they had known it was about to cost him his job, they would have rapidly bucked up their ideas.

So in short, yes, but only because the current manager's ideas and principles are different from Pearson's ideas, which are still dominant in the dressing room.

Edited by brucey
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Koke said:

Pretty much every team will go on a poor run of form at some point - even teams in the top 6 do it. 

It's about how you manage the team during those runs and how you pull the players out of it. 

Even when we went on bad runs under Pearson we still looked coherent, organised and fit. We lost out on a lot of games (as much as I hate to say it) where we were unlucky.

But we never really looked dejected, dropping heads, shrugging shoulders - which is what we're seeing now. 

Pearson would be on the touchline for the entire game commanding, leading, encouraging. 

All of our players were stood next to Puel for a water break late on in the WHU game and he didn't even say a single word, to any of them. 

You only have to look back at photos from that era to see how much love there was for Pearson from the players. Genuine bromance and respect existed within that circle - the players didn't even look at Ranieri that fondly when we won the title. 

I'm not saying that Pearson is the answer now - would I take him back, sure thing for better or worse - I still think he can improve us and keep taking us forward.

BUT - at least we always knew what he was trying to achieve here - the same can't be said of Ranieri's late efforts, Shakespeare's efforts, Puel's recent efforts.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Donut said:

I'd say that the only role he has is that he built something so solid here - with regards to team spirit, science, fitness, etc. that it's left players from his time feeling detached and dejected by the poor efforts to build on that since. 

Maybe they too look back on that period with fond memories.

I'd be very interested to hear their opinions on being managed by Nigel again. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

I'd be very interested to hear their opinions on being managed by Nigel again. 

Jonathan Northcroft (one of the most ITK LCFC journos) reported the day after Ranieri was sacked, that the dressing room wanted Pearson back, or Shakespeare as their second choice if that was not possible.

Edited by brucey
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, brucey said:

Jonathan Northcroft (one of the most ITK LCFC journos) reported at the time Ranieri was sacked, that the dressing room wanted Pearson back, or Shakespeare as their second choice if that was not possible.

yeah I'd read that - if a group of professional footballers felt that NP coming back was the right choice to get them back on track then who is anyone else to argue, tbqh.

Edited by lifted*fox
  • Like 2

I just don't think it'd work, unless he got the band back together. I can't help but want to see him back in a Leicester tracksuit when I see those pictures though, I love the bloke. 

I get that people questioned his persona, but the flat-out vitriol towards him from our own fanbase is ****ing pathetic. I get that fans from other clubs can mistakenly think he's a cvnt, based on interviews, but Leicester fans should know better than that. He wasn't perfect, but he did an outstanding job and it's widely known that he wasn't as he appeared on camera. Anyone defending the fan rightly told to FOAD deserves to, themselves. If I'm not mistaken, we were 3-1 down against Liverpool. Think of that.

Imagine of Top and Vichai thought "we need to go forwards, not backwards" and decided not to reappoint him in 2011.

From experience, you can use someone's opinion of Nigel Pearson's work at Leicester as a measurement of their intelligence. Anyone that thinks Cambiasso "did the tactics" in the great escape should be locked up for their own safety.

If he ever did come back, I'd be delighted but there are surely better candidates now.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, brucey said:

Jonathan Northcroft (one of the most ITK LCFC journos) reported the day after Ranieri was sacked, that the dressing room wanted Pearson back, or Shakespeare as their second choice if that was not possible.

Shakespeare's reign wasn't working, just as Puel's isn't.

And in any case, letting the animals run the zoo isn't a sensible strategy to build a club on. Pandering to players because they like one man and don't like the other? Is this a school playground?

That's half the problem here. Players who think they can run the show, run their mouths, act like fools and undermine managers. Players who need to be constantly forced into line by someone, because they aren't dedicated or professional enough to motivate themselves or give everything to the club. Except when the going is good.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, brucey said:

Haha that'll rattle a few cages on here. I remember that at the time actually.