Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
GaelicFox

Crazy Politically Correct happenings and issues thread

10 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Yeah, I mean the character in the past has gone from grouchy northerner, to a young scot, to baby faced lad with foppish hair, to old angry Scotsman in the space of 12 years, but the idea of them going to woman is obviously insane... The entire point of the character is that they can replace the actor with anyone when whoevers playing it gets bored.

And if anyone should know....

3 minutes ago, toddybad said:

And if anyone should know....

lol I wish i knew anything, at this point I'm mostly still watching in the hope it gets better - like the Simpsons. 

3 minutes ago, Webbo said:

That's a good point. Are you officially trans now Alistair?

Bit weird you know my actual name given I'm sure I've only ever gone by Al on here, but nah. Sort of get the science behind it, but it's alien to me. 

Just now, The Doctor said:

lol I wish i knew anything, at this point I'm mostly still watching in the hope it gets better - like the Simpsons. 

Bit weird you know my actual name given I'm sure I've only ever gone by Al on here, but nah. Sort of get the science behind it, but it's alien to me. 

You did mention it in your Big Al days.

53 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Yeah, I mean the character in the past has gone from grouchy northerner, to a young scot, to baby faced lad with foppish hair, to old angry Scotsman in the space of 12 years, but the idea of them going to woman is obviously insane... The entire point of the character is that they can replace the actor with anyone when whoevers playing it gets bored.

thing is, he was always a male character, i don't think people mind a female lead as much as the fact the male character that was prominent in their childhood/growing up days and looked up to and related to is being replaced with a female

2 hours ago, Bilo said:

I find this comparison bizarre, and it's not the first time I've heard it.

James Bond was a character in Ian Fleming's novels and explicitly written as an Oxford educated white British Secret Service agent. Christ, I remember there being mutterings over Daniel Craig being cast as the character because he was blonde rather than dark haired as per all of his predecessors. It's based on a series of novels and much of the characterisation that comes with James Bond would work only with actors who had very specific attributes. The idea of there ever being a 'Jane Bond' (that should be a clue, the fact an iconic character would have to be renamed) as per the 'slippery slope' logical fallacy is therefore absurd. Daniel Craig will be replaced by a man, and the most likely candidates according to the odds are Tom Hardy, Jack Huston and Aidan Turner. I'll grant that there may be a chance of 'colour blind casting' if they want to give something like Idris Elba a bash, but that wouldn't require a complete fundamental overhaul of the character and the series. Ultimately, James Bond will be always be played by a bloke because his characteristics would make it being played by a woman a bit of a stretch to say the least.

The Doctor as a character is entirely different. Firstly, we're not even talking about a human being. The Doctor is supposed to be over an alien who's a thousand years old, has a time machine that can travel anywhere in time and space, can completely change their personality and body if fatally injured and can destroy an army of psychopathic robots armed only with a laser pen that makes a buzzing noise. If you think the idea of that character being played by a woman is the most implausible idea about the show, you're probably missing the point. There's nothing about the character of The Doctor that would stop it being played by a woman. It's not as if he's like James Bond where he's as much about brawn as he is brains and he plays park the pole with a gaggle of supermodels every film.

tenor.gif

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, the fox said:

did you just assume the tardis lack self hygiene? you disgusting telephobe!

Telephobe?

If I knew what it meant then I'd know whether to be offended or not.

sunat jadidat saeida, foxy.

• Thanks 1

Couldn't agree more that we are heading towards a PC gone mad society. As predicted all the usual suspects are in the thread posting pretentious crap and yelling buzzwords. Would try and articulate an argument but I'm going to be called a racist, Islamaphobic, xenophobic, white privileged cis male, regardless of what I write so night as well say fvck off to Brighton or Bristol you PC hippies.

4 hours ago, the fox said:

thing is, he was always a male character, i don't think people mind a female lead as much as the fact the male character that was prominent in their childhood/growing up days and looked up to and related to is being replaced with a female

I still don't get the complaints tbh, we're talking about a shapeshifting, timetravelling alien, but the idea they could get a pair of norks is the farfetched part...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Benguin said:

Couldn't agree more that we are heading towards a PC gone mad society. As predicted all the usual suspects are in the thread posting pretentious crap and yelling buzzwords. Would try and articulate an argument but I'm going to be called a racist, Islamaphobic, xenophobic, white privileged cis male, regardless of what I write so night as well say fvck off to Brighton or Bristol you PC hippies.

lol

This just shows how people see what they want to see. Nobody has called anyone Islamophobic or white privileged in this thread, people don’t generally call other people those sort of things without good reason.

As much as you might like to pretend otherwise, the truth is that if you’re regularly being called racist or homophobic, it won’t be because of political correctness, it’ll be because you’re regularly expressing racist or homophobic views.

It’s not complicated really, what you call ‘PC gone mad’ is actually just the emergence of a society that is no longer willing to sit back and tolerate that kind of shit, and the country is much better for it.

Edited by Rogstanley
  • Like 4

Now using the The Term Kraut gets you a ban when Infact under the law of this land it has been deemed a light hearted reference like paddy or Jock 

but it seems people Making offensive stereotype comments about the Irish is grand and not an issue , but then again I won’t rise to that badge 

PC brigade are taking over FT even terms that are legally classed as light hearted offend the snowflakes 

paddy , jock or taff are in the same bracket ! So I expect there to be some consistency around here 

well I don’t really as that would be Mental 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, GaelicFox said:

Now using the The Term Kraut gets you a ban when Infact under the law of this land it has been deemed a light hearted reference like paddy or Jock 

but it seems people Making offensive stereotype comments about the Irish is grand and not an issue , but then again I won’t rise to that badge 

PC brigade are taking over FT even terms that are legally classed as light hearted offend the snowflakes 

paddy , jock or taff are in the same bracket ! So I expect there to be some consistency around here 

well I don’t really as that would be Mental 

I agree with this wholeheartedly, Paddy.

I've posted numerous Irish jokes in the Joke thread, and have done so with impunity; I could argue that because I have Irish ancestry, I have the right, but I suspect I could similarly get away with jokes stereotyping the Welsh, Scottish, French, Germans, Italians - in fact, probably any European nationality. However, I would face an instant ban for making a joke about blacks, Jews or Asians.

Now, before anyone accuses me of racism, I'm not asking for the freedom to make racist jokes, but it definitely shows an arbitrary inconsistency, not just on here but in society at large. 

1 hour ago, Buce said:

I agree with this wholeheartedly, Paddy.

I've posted numerous Irish jokes in the Joke thread, and have done so with impunity; I could argue that because I have Irish ancestry, I have the right, but I suspect I could similarly get away with jokes stereotyping the Welsh, Scottish, French, Germans, Italians - in fact, probably any European nationality. However, I would face an instant ban for making a joke about blacks, Jews or Asians.

Now, before anyone accuses me of racism, I'm not asking for the freedom to make racist jokes, but it definitely shows an arbitrary inconsistency, not just on here but in society at large. 

Somebody else will probably be able to articulate it better than me but it’s about historical association with prejudice, discrimination etc. Which give some words a greater chance of causing offence. Nuanced, but not arbitrary, I don’t think.

Edited by Rogstanley

1 minute ago, Rogstanley said:

Somebody else will probably be able to articulate it better than me but it’s about historical association with prejudice, discrimination etc. Which give some words a greater chance of causing offence. Nuanced, but not arbitrary, I don’t think.

Yeah, I get that.

But to take the Irish as an example, stereotypic depictions of stupidity are based on historical prejudice too, yet it's ok to perpetuate it in humour. It's not something that I lose sleep over, I just think it's an inconsistency that seems to have no easy-to-follow rules. The furore over Vardy's 'Jap' remark springs to mind - there was a notable disagreement over whether or not it was a racist term.

14 minutes ago, Rogstanley said:

It's all about context.

What I might say to a friend, I might not to a stranger.

30 minutes ago, Buce said:

Yeah, I get that.

But to take the Irish as an example, stereotypic depictions of stupidity are based on historical prejudice too, yet it's ok to perpetuate it in humour. It's not something that I lose sleep over, I just think it's an inconsistency that seems to have no easy-to-follow rules. The furore over Vardy's 'Jap' remark springs to mind - there was a notable disagreement over whether or not it was a racist term.

That would put jokes about the stupidity of the Irish out of bounds for me as an Englishman then. If there's a chance of causing offence I just wouldn't make the joke, no big deal, plenty of other things to joke about and certainly much more important things to worry about. If you want an easy to follow rule then 'avoid stereotypes' doesn't do a bad job. There will never be a perfect simple rule though and things will always change, because society itself is complex, nuanced and ever changing.

Edited by Rogstanley
  • Like 1