Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
GaelicFox

Crazy Politically Correct happenings and issues thread

2 hours ago, theessexfox said:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/ucl-white-campus-tweet-christmas-apologise-snow-racism-lawn-university-college-london-a8110746.html

UCL forced to apologise for 'dreaming of a white campus' tweet

London university says it 'chose its words very poorly' after Christmas song reference sparked complaint

UCL apologised for the tweet after it drew criticism in some circles PA

university has apologised after it came under fire for a tweet asking if students were “dreaming of a white campus”.

University College London (UCL) was forced to backtrack on a post made by its official Twitter account on Monday.

The university tweeted: “Dreaming of a white campus? 

“Our campuses will be open and operating fully today, Monday 11 December, so please make your way in as planned. (We can't guarantee snow but we'll try!) #snowday #londonsnow”

The message, which was intended to notify students that campuses would be open regardless of snowy conditions, drew criticism from some quarters for its potential double-meaning as a racist slur. 

Student Smera Kumar tweeted: “Come on UCL... dreaming of a white campus... seriously?!”

Aman Thakar added: “This UCL Alumni is not dreaming of a white campus, thanks.”

The backlash led to the university, which is consistently ranked among the best in the UK, issuing an official apology the following day and clarifying it was referencing a classic Christmas song.

It said: “We chose our words very poorly yesterday when thinking of [Bing Crosby’s White Christmas]. We’re sorry and we’ll choose our words more carefully in the future.”

The controversy has also attracted scorn and derision on social media from those who feel UCL was wrong to apologise over the post.

Stefan Roy tweeted:‏ “Seriously why are you pandering to such nonsense?

“They're clearly trying to find offence when there's non there. The tweet even had snow hashtags. And you apologising just makes it worse.

Joel Jackson said: “Thanks for clearing that up, UCL. 

“I had assumed you meant some sort of genocidal project to exterminate non-whites on campus so I find the clarification most reassuring.”

This is hardly PC gone mad, the reporting of it is the issue, "The University was forced to apologise", the "backlash", attracted "scorn and derision on social media" - pathetic click bait shite.

Reality is a university tweeted something, some people said "Hey, woah that could be interpreted in a bad way". They responded with, "hey, you're right, sorry friend we didn't think of that, and we didn't mean it that way", some other people people went "Hey, woah no need to apologise friend." But because this is all done in social media and written by attention seeking nobbers and it gets picked up and reported by click seeking dicks like we should give a shit.

It's the same as the Lewis Hamilton thing that was mentioned earlier, he was joking with his nephew saying boys don't wear dresses, someone said "hey, woah, boys can wear dresses if they want" and Lewis replied, "hey, yeah you're right, my bad, I'm sorry." and other people went "Hey woah, no need to apologise fella, we know you weren't trying to make him conform to gender stereotypes and were just messing about." But this happened on social media so it was written by bellends who know that faux outrage will validate them and Hamilton, the fawning social media whore, responds with an over the top apology. Let's not forget the click seeking dicks who report this like we should give a shit and stoke the fires of another non story.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Captain... said:

This is hardly PC gone mad, the reporting of it is the issue, "The University was forced to apologise", the "backlash", attracted "scorn and derision on social media" - pathetic click bait shite.

Reality is a university tweeted something, some people said "Hey, woah that could be interpreted in a bad way". They responded with, "hey, you're right, sorry friend we didn't think of that, and we didn't mean it that way", some other people people went "Hey, woah no need to apologise friend." But because this is all done in social media and written by attention seeking nobbers and it gets picked up and reported by click seeking dicks like we should give a shit.

It's the same as the Lewis Hamilton thing that was mentioned earlier, he was joking with his nephew saying boys don't wear dresses, someone said "hey, woah, boys can wear dresses if they want" and Lewis replied, "hey, yeah you're right, my bad, I'm sorry." and other people went "Hey woah, no need to apologise fella, we know you weren't trying to make him conform to gender stereotypes and were just messing about." But this happened on social media so it was written by bellends who know that faux outrage will validate them and Hamilton, the fawning social media whore, responds with an over the top apology. Let's not forget the click seeking dicks who report this like we should give a shit and stoke the fires of another non story.

Beautifully put Captain :appl:

2 hours ago, Finnaldo said:

This isn't a dig at left-wing politics, both the lads I mentioned and myself voted Labour in the last election, but clearly Universities have become more and more about identity politics and political correctness through the fact Marxism and Postmodernism are so highly protected above any other ideologies. 

They really haven't, it's still a minority of rabble-rousers who think dabbling in student union politics make them the next Churchill: social media and the slacktivism it enables just make them look more prevalent, as with any other noisy minority of extremists. Most students don't really give a shit so long as they can get ratfaced for a tenner.

probably the most hypocritical muck i saw in the internet was "there is no such thing as reverse racism".

of course there is such a thing, you daft muppet! it's just an excuse to say racist crap and get away with it. some of it is retaliation, some of it is just hate.

i get it, the big stack bully doesn't have the stick anymore so it's time for him to get the beating, but please, don't say it's ok because white people did atrocious things in the past 

just have a look at this!

Since 
 only works against people who are already oppressed, white people cannot possibly be its victims—no matter how poor they are. In recent history whites have always held the most power, so the systems and institutions that exist today were all built around this assumption. Black people and Native Americans couldn’t even vote until the latter half of the last century, and still today we see voter suppression happening in many states. Sure, things are better for black and brown people than they were in the past, but better doesn’t mean equal.

the last paragraph i agree with. people shouldn't be judged by the color of their skin and there are still cases of racial profiling in the world
There isn't reverse racism. It's just racism. Anyone can be bigoted, racist, misogynistic or whatever.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/ucl-white-campus-tweet-christmas-apologise-snow-racism-lawn-university-college-london-a8110746.html

UCL forced to apologise for 'dreaming of a white campus' tweet

London university says it 'chose its words very poorly' after Christmas song reference sparked complaint

UCL apologised for the tweet after it drew criticism in some circles PA

university has apologised after it came under fire for a tweet asking if students were “dreaming of a white campus”.

University College London (UCL) was forced to backtrack on a post made by its official Twitter account on Monday.

The university tweeted: “Dreaming of a white campus? 

“Our campuses will be open and operating fully today, Monday 11 December, so please make your way in as planned. (We can't guarantee snow but we'll try!) #snowday #londonsnow”

The message, which was intended to notify students that campuses would be open regardless of snowy conditions, drew criticism from some quarters for its potential double-meaning as a racist slur. 

Student Smera Kumar tweeted: “Come on UCL... dreaming of a white campus... seriously?!”

Aman Thakar added: “This UCL Alumni is not dreaming of a white campus, thanks.”

The backlash led to the university, which is consistently ranked among the best in the UK, issuing an official apology the following day and clarifying it was referencing a classic Christmas song.

It said: “We chose our words very poorly yesterday when thinking of [bing Crosby’s White Christmas]. We’re sorry and we’ll choose our words more carefully in the future.”

The controversy has also attracted scorn and derision on social media from those who feel UCL was wrong to apologise over the post.

Stefan Roy tweeted:‏ “Seriously why are you pandering to such nonsense?

“They're clearly trying to find offence when there's non there. The tweet even had snow hashtags. And you apologising just makes it worse.

Joel Jackson said: “Thanks for clearing that up, UCL. 

“I had assumed you meant some sort of genocidal project to exterminate non-whites on campus so I find the clarification most reassuring.”

They really shouldn't have been pandering to the trolls. It was clear it was a reference to the song.

Some people definitely do look to be offended by something, anything.

1 hour ago, Captain... said:

It's not even unique to so called political correctness. Here's another example of social media stupidity being reported on by the news as if it's actually a story. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-shropshire-42543108

What the **** is that doing in national news? 

"chef makes joke about vegan" what on earth. 

3 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

It's not even unique to so called political correctness. Here's another example of social media stupidity being reported on by the news as if it's actually a story. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-shropshire-42543108

What the **** is that doing in national news? 

"chef makes joke about vegan" what on earth. 

It wasn't much of joke, though.

Implying that they had doctored someone's food might seem funny to you but it wouldn't be to the diner.

25 minutes ago, Buce said:

Implying that they had doctored someone's food might seem funny to you but it wouldn't be to the diner.

No one died or was at risk 

bit of culinary banter 

On Sunday, December 31, 2017 at 09:41, GaelicFox said:

The world is paralysed by political correctness 

last night I went to the curve to see Scrooge , it was very good but some crazy casting going on 

Scrooge a white man in a dickens novel had an Asian sister ... and the Cratchit Family has white Asian and black children in the family it looked bizarre 

if it was set in 2017 then that would be ok but it was set in 1840 ! 

imagine how the von trappe Family might look like in a 2018 Remake ? 

Political correctness is a leftist scourge its everywhere these days 

the maxists will of course accuse anyone of highlighting this madness as being racist etc....

36 minutes ago, GaelicFox said:

No one died or was at risk 

bit of culinary banter 

Is that the criteria that makes it acceptable?

Let's suppose instead that they implied that they had added pork to a Muslim's meal. Would that still be banter? Because I can assure you, being fed meat is every bit as offensive to a vegan. One thing for certain, as a business faux pas it's right up there with United Airlines beating up that passenger.

2 hours ago, The Doctor said:

They really haven't, it's still a minority of rabble-rousers who think dabbling in student union politics make them the next Churchill: social media and the slacktivism it enables just make them look more prevalent, as with any other noisy minority of extremists. Most students don't really give a shit so long as they can get ratfaced for a tenner.

Fk me !!!  Get ratfaced for a tenner....where, where  damn well tell me where!!!!!

Ahhh  I see now , another Dimensionalist...went back to the 1960s..

2 hours ago, Buce said:

Funny or not its still harmless. 

Obviously if she actually had spiked their food, with anything they specifically didn't want whether it's meat or not, that'd be pretty bad. 

Still not actually news but yanno. 

4 hours ago, Captain... said:

I disagree, Lewis Hamilton is reinforcing socially constructed gender norms on a public platform which humiliates a little kid who wants to wear whatever he wants, not awful but worthy of an apology. I really don't think a university changing song lyrics clearly about wanting snow at Christmas is worthy of an apology, it's pathetic. 

6 hours ago, the fox said:

yeah i know, i'm not arguing against it, it's obvious that's non-whites had/have it harder finding a job (and other things beside that) 

it's backward thinking, you can't just say that there is no such thing as "racism against white people". a white man (in the USA) can be looked at sideways for saying "i'm proud to be white" because in the eyes of many, being white while saying "i'm proud to be what i am" is stigmatised, they will connect white people with power/pride to oppression (and let's be honest, the history books aren't helping the white people).

That's all fair enough - history means there are so many different connotations to all this and as it seems we're hardwired to be tribal then people are going to always view it subjectively.

The way I see it, all of this is a test of humanity in general anyway - if we continue to make petty problems amongst ourselves, then we don't have a prayer of facing down the much bigger ones out there.

2 hours ago, Buce said:

Is that the criteria that makes it acceptable?

Let's suppose instead that they implied that they had added pork to a Muslim's meal. Would that still be banter? Because I can assure you, being fed meat is every bit as offensive to a vegan. One thing for certain, as a business faux pas it's right up there with United Airlines beating up that passenger.

Vegan is a religion now lol 

world is gone mad 

1 hour ago, theessexfox said:

I disagree, Lewis Hamilton is reinforcing socially constructed gender norms on a public platform which humiliates a little kid who wants to wear whatever he wants, not awful but worthy of an apology. I really don't think a university changing song lyrics clearly about wanting snow at Christmas is worthy of an apology, it's pathetic. 

Snowflake 

1 minute ago, Strokes said:

Behave Gaelic, you know I respect you paddy but take from me, you are being a bit of a nob. Sure being vegan is a lifestyle choice, it doesn’t mean they should be humiliated does it?

How were they humiliated lol , upset I agree but humiliated ? If they were they must have lived a snowflake life 

and humiliation is not exactly a religious hate crime , which is exactly what the feeding pork to a Muslim analogy would be 

There is no comparison Strokes 

one is a hate crime the other is a little rude 

i have regularly served buttered mash spuds to my vegan guests ... it’s a little bit of rebellion lol 

5 minutes ago, GaelicFox said:

How were they humiliated lol , upset I agree but humiliated ? If they were they must have lived a snowflake life 

and humiliation is not exactly a religious hate crime , which is exactly what the feeding pork to a Muslim analogy would be 

i have regularly served buttered mash spuds to my vegan guests ... it’s a little bit of rebellion lol 

Give it a rest now, please.

2 minutes ago, GaelicFox said:

A religion is a belief in something make believe, veganism is a belief in something real. Not eating food because a book written thousands of years ago says so is much less reasonable in my opinion.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Strokes said:

A religion is a belief in something make believe, veganism is a belief in something real. Not eating food because a book written thousands of years ago says so is much less reasonable in my opinion.

Sound 

3 minutes ago, GaelicFox said:

That says it all really Webbo 

institutional it is and you know it

I know it and you do as well

I’ll log off now but the truth wins out  

I asked you nicely, no one's been banned lets just leave it at that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Strokes said:

yeah, throw religion under the bus like that! it's cool, a fun joke to everybody, innit?

making fun of othersand calling people's belief fake is all cool and dandy, right? 

it's not like religion is the most important thing to a lot of people, right? the only thing that help many people fight another day.

what happend to "live and let live", or is that only reserved to certin people?

you know what, they say people who don't understand can't relate. said people who don't believe, they can kick rock, i don't care. their life, their choice.

the funny thing is, the same people who get offended by the smallest of things will jump right away and make fun of other's beliefs.

Edited by the fox
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, the fox said:

yeah, throw religion under the bus like that! it's cool, a fun joke to everybody, innit?

making fun of othersand calling people's belief fake is all cool and dandy, right? 

it's not like religion is the most important thing to a lot of people, right? the only thing that help many people fight another day.

what happend to "live and let live", or is that only reserved to certin people?

you know what, they say people who don't understand can't relate. said people who don't believe, they can kick rock, i don't care. their life, their choice.

the funny thing is, the same people who get offended by the smallest of things will jump right away and make fun of other's beliefs.

Well Said

That’s what I wanted to write 

but it would have got me a ban 

certain people need to have seriously long look at themselves ... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1