Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HesNotGudjonsonn2

Puel- Neck out!!

16 minutes ago, FoxinNotts said:

Puel is too stubborn. That’s his biggest fault. If he was a little less set in his ways, and he had better home form, he’d be a great manager for this club.

You do know all managers are stubborn. Pep when he was losing said he wasn't going to change his style, same as sir Alex and klopp. The problem is puel went to a team that only played one style with fans that only like that style. Even in the goal against Tottenham which showed how he wanted to play,  I heard fans say that the ball wasn't going forward quickly enough and that it was to sideways in passing.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Vardinio'sCat said:

It does help if your opinion is a based on a good understanding of what you are talking about. Very few of us have seen enough of Banks to really make the comparison, old football footage being pretty rubbish, and I am no exception. But based on the opinion of informed and respected observers,  over a period of 5 or 6 years between 66 and his car accident, Banks was regarded as the world's best.

Of course Kasper is a great keeper, one of the best in the PL (for me), and capable of world-class performances on his day. But virtually no one refers to him as the best in the world, never mind the best the world has ever seen.

This poll at the millenium gives a good idea of how highly regarded Banks was, nearly 30 years after he played. Only the one man goalkeeping revolution that was Lev Yashin, the only keeper to win the Ballon D'or, is ranked in front of him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IFFHS_World's_Best_Goalkeeper

It's a real pity we don't have more quality footage of Banks.

Just out of interest, here is a bit of Yashin.

"Lev Yashin was first-class, a real super goalkeeper. His positional play was excellent, but everything he did was amazing. He was a model for goalkeeping for the next years, without a doubt" (Gordon Banks about Lev Yashin).

My opinion is based on how much ive seen admittedly. But it doesn't take much more than a watch of matches from the 66 world cup for instance, to see the standard of football is incredibly lower than what it is now. 

The fans you talk about, like i said earlier in the posts, will always look at their era as the best. They do that in all walks of life. Everything was apparently better then. When it actually really wasnt. 

Those saves made in them videos are made every single week by hundreds of goalkeepers and wouldn't get a 2nd look. Its my opinion that virtually all professional goalkeepers are better than that standard of player back then.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Gamble92 said:

My opinion is based on how much ive seen admittedly. But it doesn't take much more than a watch of matches from the 66 world cup for instance, to see the standard of football is incredibly lower than what it is now. 

The fans you talk about, like i said earlier in the posts, will always look at their era as the best. They do that in all walks of life. Everything was apparently better then. When it actually really wasnt. 

Those saves made in them videos are made every single week by hundreds of goalkeepers and wouldn't get a 2nd look. Its my opinion that virtually all professional goalkeepers are better than that standard of player back then.

But thats because there is so little decent footage of them, rather than they didn't make outstanding saves. I thought the Banks save (against Sotland I think) where he is back pedalling to get to the attempted lob, was top drawer. The Rashin one from range (an instance when the camera did atually keep up) was also an excellent bit of work in any era.

I never said everything was better in the past, because that is clearly not the case. Obviously football has moved on, but it is in many ways an easier game and once you take that into consideration, the greats of yesterday would almost certainly be the greats if they were coming through today.

One only has to look at Brazil in the early 70's (of which there is good footage), to see players that would smash it today. And if we can see that the greats of the 70's were bloody great, assuming the greats of the 60's wouldn't be very good is not going to fly.

36 minutes ago, Vardinio'sCat said:

But thats because there is so little decent footage of them, rather than they didn't make outstanding saves. I thought the Banks save (against Sotland I think) where he is back pedalling to get to the attempted lob, was top drawer. The Rashin one from range (an instance when the camera did atually keep up) was also an excellent bit of work in any era.

I never said everything was better in the past, because that is clearly not the case. Obviously football has moved on, but it is in many ways an easier game and once you take that into consideration, the greats of yesterday would almost certainly be the greats if they were coming through today.

One only has to look at Brazil in the early 70's (of which there is good footage), to see players that would smash it today. And if we can see that the greats of the 70's were bloody great, assuming the greats of the 60's wouldn't be very good is not going to fly.

I didnt say that you said it. Its just commonly boasted about by the older generation that everything used to be better.

Its probably a criticism you could level at outfield players more, but technically and tactically it is almost a different game now.

I think the English game suffered massively from its slow progression from the past eras, whilst other countries like Spain developed greatly and helped make the game what it is now. 

You look at aspects like the role a goalkeeper plays in starting attacks now. Look at how vital Kasper was in ths Championship winning season and Premier League win too. Ederson, Allison etc for their clubs. It has completely evolved.

Puels tactics are pretty good for the most part but he seems to be terrible at man management. He doesn't seem like the sort of manager who would put a hand around a struggling player or praise a player doing well.

It probably partly explains why we do so well against teams the players wull automatically be motivated for (Chelsea, City, Liverpool) but when it comes to the likes of Southampton or Cardiff we really struggle to play with that intensity.

1 hour ago, Gamble92 said:

I didnt say that you said it. Its just commonly boasted about by the older generation that everything used to be better.

Its probably a criticism you could level at outfield players more, but technically and tactically it is almost a different game now.

I think the English game suffered massively from its slow progression from the past eras, whilst other countries like Spain developed greatly and helped make the game what it is now. 

You look at aspects like the role a goalkeeper plays in starting attacks now. Look at how vital Kasper was in ths Championship winning season and Premier League win too. Ederson, Allison etc for their clubs. It has completely evolved.

Apart from the specific point about Kasper, we have a lot of common ground.

I'm no great fan of TB and rickets either, I wouldn't go back to any previous point in time. So I'm with you on the nostalgia bit in general.

But your last bit, which I've bolded, is not right historically. It evolved well before Kasper was a twinkle in his fathers eye

Even though Yashin’s many trophies speak for themselves, his greatest contribution to the game was the way he changed the goalkeeper position. Many experts agree that Yashin invented the modern goalkeeper we all praise and love today. While most goalkeepers back in Yashin;s days often kicked the ball aimlessly away after a save, Yashin saw an opportunity to play an active role in the build-up, and therefore he started to throw the ball to his teammates or to make accurate kicks that could start counterattacks. Another thing Yashin invented was for the goalkeeper to participate in the passing play outside the penalty area to help out his teammates as a sort of sweeper keeper. Beside all his tactical innovation, Yashin was also an excellent goalkeeper who recorded 270 clean sheets during his career. He was a brilliant shot stopper with great reflexes, but he also had the physical strength to dominate the penalty area (another Yashin invention was to intentionally box the ball away instead of always trying to catch it). In other words: he was the perfect goalkeeper.

When the quote says box it means punching the ball instead of catching it. Now that quote is from a Russian football website, so it is a bit gushy, but even Gordon Banks said he was the role model. I'm sure Yashin wouldn't have been the first to do any of these things individually, but he did put it all together to make him (arguably) the first truly modern keeper, and that's why he is the greatest. No one else changed the role of the keeper as much as he did, and it's very difficult to see anyone being able to do that again.

• Like 1

On 10/02/2019 at 02:01, HesNotGudjonsonn2 said:

I’m doing it, I have been on and off this forum and the 606 one back in the day. I am sure many recognise my name.

Let’s stick with Puel. Let’s get behind him and all accept the future he is clearly trying to build.

Lets keep this post at the top so he knows we support him supporting our future. 

Stop wanting immediate results and let him build what he is clearly building.

What is really the better choice?

I believe he will get there! 

Lose to Palace and I’m wondering if the club will push the button early. Win and we are over 10 points clear... lose and the outlook is perhaps concerning enough to make a change.

On 18/02/2019 at 03:15, shailen said:

Puels tactics are pretty good for the most part but he seems to be terrible at man management. He doesn't seem like the sort of manager who would put a hand around a struggling player or praise a player doing well.

It probably partly explains why we do so well against teams the players wull automatically be motivated for (Chelsea, City, Liverpool) but when it comes to the likes of Southampton or Cardiff we really struggle to play with that intensity.

Really? It seems our young contingent is very much behind him, something I can't see happening if he wasn't a good man manager. 

9 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Really? It seems our young contingent is very much behind him, something I can't see happening if he wasn't a good man manager. 

I'm not saying they aren't behind him but I can't imagine him being able to inspire the team or being at the forefront of squad harmony. 

Like I said he has done a lot of good things....giving the youth a chance, tactically we have improved but without question I don't see the same fight, desire and energy we had under different managers.