Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HesNotGudjonsonn2

Puel- Neck out!!

9 hours ago, Countryfox said:

You're a game bird Gamble !! ...   I'll give you that ...   and know one is telling you what you can and can't say ..  but regardless of your opinion (and your points aren't valid btw) ...   you are 100% ..

WRONG !      :)

Just because you write it bigger doesnt mean you're any more right.

You cant tell someone they're wrong on something this subjective.

Schmiechel was a vital player in us winning the Premier League. 

Id even go as far as to suggest the game has moved on so much that extremely few players from the past would compare technically to any present day players. 

I also realise its very difficult for the older generation, who in life find comort in their wrinkles by assuring us the past was this amazing utopia - to acknowledge that the best ever Leicester team was just a couple of years ago and not when they went down filbert street to watch us take on Oldham in 1971 (they even left their front door unlocked you know).

Edited by Gamble92

On 11/02/2019 at 18:39, Gamble92 said:

I agree with most of what you've said. Dont get me wrong i think he should rightly go down as our best ever goalkeeper. 

However, this air of arrogance that he has inherited from his father isnt doing him any favours. 

Yes, hes been loyal, yes hes been close to the owners but hes clearly been talking about leaving alot with his dad and by the sounds of it hes only stayed because no one else will have him. Hardly the greatest kind of loyalty.

All im saying is that we are now in a position as a club where we can either bring through Ward or spend 30m+ on a goalkeeper. If Kasper is dictating who stays and goes above him in the way its constantly reported, then id rather we explore new options.

Banks,Shilton!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lionheart10 said:

Banks,Shilton!

Banks was clearly a Great Keeper in his day... I do wonder whether he would be in the modern game. If you plucked Banks out of 1966 and put him into the premier league, I'm not sure he'd even be in the top 5 keepers. It's a different world.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Banks was clearly a Great Keeper in his day... I do wonder whether he would be in the modern game. If you plucked Banks out of 1966 and put him into the premier league, I'm not sure he'd even be in the top 5 keepers. It's a different world.

How many times did you see him play?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Babylon said:

How do we know his ability with his feet? 

Its a a different game now for keepers but as a straight goalkeeper, he would still be one of the best out there - thats still about stopping shots, catching crosses and commanding your area. 

30 minutes ago, okie fox said:

How many times did you see him play?

Only on film. But I don't need to have seen him live to know the game is entirely different for players of all positions now. He'd be up against stronger, quicker, taller, harding kicking players and faster balls

But I'll stop you before you go on, I said "I do wonder" and "I'm not sure", I'm not making a statement of fact just musing. My issue is people chuck about "greatest keeper ever" like it's an indisputable fact.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Gamble92 said:

None of them are anything to do with Leicester.

What he did for us. Keep us in games, start off our famous counter attacks etc in our greatest ever success makes him our best ever for me. 

Im allowed that opinion as much as anyone else is allowed theirs and i find the bigoted way people are shutting down debate on here to be slightly strange for a forum.

No you have right  to your opinion...but others also have the rigjt to reply, it's called sharing opinions,nothing bigoted...

Though you might have to explain...'.None of them are anything to do with Leicester.'

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Babylon said:

You are right, It’s the same for any player from that era, would Pele or Eusébio be able to cope with the game today 

the only way in my opinion that you can compare different eras is how good they was considered at the time 

Gordon Banks was undeniably world class, you don’t win 6 consecutive FIFA goalkeeper of the year awards if you ain’t 

• Like 4

Just telling my mate my theory that tilemans is the missing peice in Puel jigsaw in the same way that colleymore was the missing peice In O'Neill's and that now everything is going to finally click into place and puels young vibrant side is going to start winning football games. He was sceptical and amused (to be expected) but **** it better to spend your money going down the football hoping to realise a dream than hoping to usher in a nightmare. Up the city.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The whole world smiles said:

Just telling my mate my theory that tilemans is the missing peice in Puel jigsaw in the same way that colleymore was the missing peice In O'Neill's and that now everything is going to finally click into place and puels young vibrant side is going to start winning football games. He was sceptical and amused (to be expected) but **** it better to spend your money going down the football hoping to realise a dream than hoping to usher in a nightmare. Up the city.

I hope not cos Collymore himself lasted about five games before a leg break and Heskey was flogged after they played 1 full game together 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Babylon said:

Only on film. But I don't need to have seen him live to know the game is entirely different for players of all positions now. He'd be up against stronger, quicker, taller, harding kicking players and faster balls

But I'll stop you before you go on, I said "I do wonder" and "I'm not sure", I'm not making a statement of fact just musing. My issue is people chuck about "greatest keeper ever" like it's an indisputable fact.

It is good fun, but impossible to compare players of any sport in different eras. The difference in equipment alone is one reason why, another is the higher fitness, another the higher quality and depth of competition.

Gordon Banks had to deal with out of shape footballs with laces sticking out, that weighed a ton when wet! Often keepers didn't wear gloves, or if they did they were those thin cotton green gloves which offered little or no protection. I just wonder how Kasper and the rest of the current crop would deal with those conditions?!!

Take Rod Laver as an example from another sport. Just watch a clip of him serving down the T on You Tube. His best serves bounce two or three times before reaching the backstop. Now watch any modern player serve down the T and the ball is still rising as it hits the backstop. In his day, Laver was the best, but he had wooden rackets, hardly any depth of competition, smaller balls (in the polite sense!).  He served harder at 70 y.o than he did in his best years, just because of better equipment. You can't begin to compare him with Federer, Nadal or Djokovic, but you can't compare them against Laver either.

Back to Leicester City. Banks was top notch when I watched him. I thought Shilton better, and I loved Mark Wallington. Flowers was another top keeper. I am so lucky I've seen some of the worlds best ever goalkeepers play for my club. Kasper would certainly be in my top 10, but not in my top 5.

Oh, and as it's a Puel thread, it's a Puel in from me.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I hope not cos Collymore himself lasted about five games before a leg break and Heskey was flogged after they played 1 full game together 

What a 5 games it was though, the pre-match anticipation on Collymore was something else. Heskey went and then he was just as devastating with Cottee and then the leg break.

23 minutes ago, andy peake said:

Yes. Banks

Shilton

Wallington

Flowers

and then Keller and Schmeical equal 5th best. In that order.

Haha you cant have the goalkeeper who was influential in winning us our only Top Flight title in 136 years, as well as being phenomenal in those last 16 CL games vs Sevilla as equal 5th. It's a disgrace, at the very least he is 3rd best. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

What a 5 games it was though, the pre-match anticipation on Collymore was something else. Heskey went and then he was just as devastating with Cottee and then the leg break.

Ric, I was busy blasting the ball around Ideal Homes car park pretending to be Collymore, (retrospectively dodgy as **** pretending to be Stan on a car park) the day before we played away at Watford. 

Came on did Stan the day after and blasted a header against the bar. We’d have been lethal with him and Hesk upfront 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Haha you cant have the goalkeeper who was influential in winning us our only Top Flight title in 136 years, as well as being phenomenal in those last 16 CL games vs Sevilla as equal 5th. It's a disgrace, at the very least he is 3rd best. 

Shilton and Wallington were in teams that were midtable or lower.They saved us from getting dragged in to relegation.They never had a Huth or Kante patrolling in front of them.Kasper just in the top 5 .overall more errors than the others but still a decent keeper.

22 hours ago, jammie82uk said:

You are right, It’s the same for any player from that era, would Pele or Eusébio be able to cope with the game today 

the only way in my opinion that you can compare different eras is how good they was considered at the time  

Interesting point you make there mate. I'd argue position plays a part

Many World Class defenders from days gone by may struggle to impose their game with today's cotton wool wrapped culture.

On the contrary, players like Pele and Eusébio used to recieve brutal treatment but still prevail. It's almost frightening to imagine them under modern day referee protection.

On 15/02/2019 at 18:08, fuchsntf said:

No you have right  to your opinion...but others also have the rigjt to reply, it's called sharing opinions,nothing bigoted...

Though you might have to explain...'.None of them are anything to do with Leicester.'

I didnt claim them having an opinion is bigoted. One post said i am wrong and its a fact my opinion is wrong. I called that bigoted. And it is, wouldnt you agree?

6 hours ago, Gamble92 said:

I didnt claim them having an opinion is bigoted. One post said i am wrong and its a fact my opinion is wrong. I called that bigoted. And it is, wouldnt you agree?

It does help if your opinion is a based on a good understanding of what you are talking about. Very few of us have seen enough of Banks to really make the comparison, old football footage being pretty rubbish, and I am no exception. But based on the opinion of informed and respected observers,  over a period of 5 or 6 years between 66 and his car accident, Banks was regarded as the world's best.

Of course Kasper is a great keeper, one of the best in the PL (for me), and capable of world-class performances on his day. But virtually no one refers to him as the best in the world, never mind the best the world has ever seen.

This poll at the millenium gives a good idea of how highly regarded Banks was, nearly 30 years after he played. Only the one man goalkeeping revolution that was Lev Yashin, the only keeper to win the Ballon D'or, is ranked in front of him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IFFHS_World's_Best_Goalkeeper

It's a real pity we don't have more quality footage of Banks.

Just out of interest, here is a bit of Yashin.

"Lev Yashin was first-class, a real super goalkeeper. His positional play was excellent, but everything he did was amazing. He was a model for goalkeeping for the next years, without a doubt" (Gordon Banks about Lev Yashin).

Edited by Vardinio'sCat

57 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

Its my opinion that the world is flat.

It's my opinion, its wrong.... but its my opinion.

Amusing , yes but many actually truly believe what they write on this forum. I will never leave a place like this - on occasions, it reinforces my faith in humanity and on others, reminds me that the old adages such as ‘there’s nowt so queer as folk’ and ‘it takes all sorts’ are proven!   For those of us with limited abilities, the plethora of such people out there makes it so much easier to provide for our families in a way which just shouldn’t be possible ! 

We all have our foibles............ some more than others ........