Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Rain King

London

21 minutes ago, pds said:

Have you used this, would I not have to pay the congestion charge to get there?

Not that particular one, but i will in a couple of weeks. We used to do the drive down to a station, catch a train in etc till i thought what a hassle, so whenever we go down there i just drive in to a pre booked carpark and pay the 20-30 quid a day, probably works out cheaper plus i do actually enjoy driving into london. Did it for the chelsea game, parked about half a mile from the ground, 20 quid split 4 ways isn't exactly breaking the bank.

• Like 1

I think it's kids under 5 that it's free for traveling on the tube, there are gates especially for this so don't just though the normal ones..... Also just use your contactless debit/credit card. Works out the cheapest fare overall for you and its easy. 

Edited by hejammy

6 minutes ago, hejammy said:

I think it's kids under 5 that it's free for traveling on the tube, there are gates expecially for this so don't just though the normal ones..... Also just use your contactless debit/credit card. Works out the cheapest fare overall for you and its easy. 

It’s under 11.

My kids are older than 5 and travel for free.

8 minutes ago, hejammy said:

I think it's kids under 5 that it's free for traveling on the tube, there are gates expecially for this so don't just though the normal ones..... Also just use your contactless debit/credit card. Works out the cheapest fare overall for you and its easy. 

Its under 11 on TfL services (tube, buses, DLR, London Overground), there are restrictions on national rail services within the zones though.

16 hours ago, blue blood said:

Parking in Stanmore is fine, 5 mins from the M1, Try Merrion Ave which is right next to the station.  if you want something a bit more secure rent a drive way around the station for around £5 for the day.  (justpark.co.uk)

The tube on the weekend is 24 hours.  Use contactless - it may be cheaper than buying tube tickets.

Take the thames clipper as its a nice way to see most london buildings from the thames. 

Buy tickets to attractions in advance, Its cheaper.

I found out about this contactless way in another thread. 

Does it not charge your card until you've finished all your journeys? 

You just carry your U11 through with you? 

Those automatic barriers put the fear of God in to me lol

2 hours ago, Collymore said:

I found out about this contactless way in another thread. 

Does it not charge your card until you've finished all your journeys? 

You just carry your U11 through with you? 

Those automatic barriers put the fear of God in to me lol

There is always a wide barrier that you can use.  I think it charges you from when you tap in and out. If you do multiple journeys in a day it caps it all at a maximum daily rate if you go above it. 

• Thanks 1

Cheers for the suggestions. We had a very nice day. 

Ridiculously annoying people the whole way across Westminster Bridge doing the scam 'ball and cup game'. Blatantly a load of bollocks but saw a number of tourists falling for it, then their mates who were obviously in on it supposedly winning.

• 11 months later...
14 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Anyone got any pub/food tips for the Shepherd's Bush area? Staying round there for a few days later this month, and only really know that area from doing QPR away. Looks like the O'Neill's has become an independent boozer, so might check that out.

If you're prepared to walk down a bit you've got the Pocket Watch and the Crown and Sceptre pubs-wise down towards Acton Vale, plus the Princess Victoria which does good food as well.  In the Bush theres The Defectors Weld which is pricey but a good spot, and the White Horse is alright on non-matchdays. BrewDog have a place on the Green now if you like that sort of thing. Theres also a Wetherspoons hidden away in the other shopping centre. Obviously there's a stack of restaurants of various cuisines in Westfield but they're all chains and that.

If you dont mind walking a bit further there are nice pubs in Brook Green and Hammersmith and you could also walk up Holland Park Avenue towards Notting Hill.

Edited by ealingfox
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Voll Blau said:

Anyone got any pub/food tips for the Shepherd's Bush area? Staying round there for a few days later this month, and only really know that area from doing QPR away. Looks like the O'Neill's has become an independent boozer, so might check that out.

Sindercombe Social is isn't bad - right next to Shepherd's Bush Empire on the green. As also mentioned, The Defectors Weld is pretty good. Maybe have a look to see if there's anyone decent playing at the Empire, good venue and tickets are usually pretty reasonable.

• Thanks 1