Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Rain King

London

Taking the kids to London on Sunday for the day to visit a few of the museums and have a wander around (their request).

As someone who has rarely been to London other than to football matches I was planning on driving down to Stanmore and getting the train in from there. Firstly is this the best station to park at coming from Leicester? Also how likely is it to get a space arriving at 9am ish?

Also, from what I can gather kids are free on the tube if they go through the barrier with me when scanning a contactless card, is this correct?

Would appreciate any information/advice (apart from advising me not to go)

Edited by pds

Done Stanmore before. Might hit a bit of traffic getting there but parking should be fine at that time.

Wembley is worse, traffic-wise in my experience. 

Easy to get Jubilee line from there in to all parts of London, changing lines or not. 

What museums you thinking of getting to? If History/Science Museum, it's a tube to Green Park on Jubilee then short change to Piccadilly to South Kensington.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

Done Stanmore before. Might hit a bit of traffic getting there but parking should be fine at that time.

Easy to get Jubilee line from there in to all parts of London, changing lines or not. 

What museums you thinking of getting to? If History/Science Museum, it's a tube to Green Park on Jubilee then short change to Piccadilly to South Kensington.

Thanks, would you expect much traffic on a Sunday? Yes definitely the two museums mentioned. History first as this is where Andy's Dinosaur Adventures was filmed and my youngest is keen to see it lol

I think you'd be alright getting a spot at Stanmore on a Sunday. It'll be free from commuters.

It's probably the best station if you insist getting the tube in from the North. 

Depending on how old your kids are, the Natural History Museum is great and would occupy a day's visit in itself. 

It's a short walk from Harrods if the cash is burning a hole in your pocket.

• Like 1

Just now, pds said:

Thanks, would you expect much traffic on a Sunday? Yes definitely the two museums mentioned. History first as this is where Andy's Dinosaur Adventures was filmed and my youngest is keen to see it lol

Not particularly. Just that whenever we've driven around Wembley, event or not, it's just rubbish either with volume of traffic or just impolite drivers (not too dissimilar to Leicester in that respect actually, no offence lol)

They're my most enjoyable museums I've been to. Could spend hours there and not get bored. Free entry as well unless there's special events you really want to see, so can't complain! 

Apparently the V&A Museum is good too but not experienced that yet. 

• Like 1

I parked at Stanmore when we played Derby in the playoffs came back after the game and it had been nicked.

Had to get the train back with 2 kids and 2 further adults cost me a fortune.

The police eventually found it but all the steering was bust

Not trying to put you off as they obviously knew I was at the match and when I'd be back.

1 hour ago, pds said:

Taking the kids to London on Sunday for the day to visit a few of the museums and have a wander around (their request).

As someone who has rarely been to London other than to football matches I was planning on driving down to Stanmore and getting the train in from there. Firstly is this the best station to park at coming from Leicester? Also how likely is it to get a space arriving at 9am ish?

Also, from what I can gather kids are free on the tube if they go through the barrier with me when scanning a contactless card, is this correct?

Would appreciate any information/advice (apart from advising me not to go)

I’ve done this a few times, I usually try to get there a bit earlier but you should be ok at 9. If not people nearby rent out their drives as extra spaces.

Kids do travel free on the tube, you won’t have any issues there. My kids loved the Emirates Skycar thingys from London Docks to the O2, much better than queuing for the London eye at a snails pace.

Hope you all have a nice day :thumbup:

• Like 1

If you fancy showing your kids something different and cool head to Leak Street. Only a few minutes walk from Waterloo Station. A long tunnel given up to.street artists, It's like the Sistine Chapel of the graffiti world. It's well worth a visit.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, bovril said:

How about Greenwich? I remember when I was 7 or 8 how much I enjoyed going on the DLR through Canary Wharf then getting off and seeing the Cutty Sark and the meridian line. 

Good shout. Did a boat cruise on the Thames once from Westminster all the way to Greenwich and we get a couple hours to roam around that area (meridian line, Cutty Sark etc). 

Better to do in summer if you choose the cruise though!

3 hours ago, StanSP said:

I hardly would call THAT transfer between Jubilee and Piccadilly at Green Park a "short"  change lol  

• Haha 1

Any change at Green Park should involve heading for the exit signs, going up the escalators and, before you hit the ticket barriers, going down the desired escalators to the line to your required line. Far quicker than walking for 10 minutes underground between lines.

• Like 1

Parking in Stanmore is fine, 5 mins from the M1, Try Merrion Ave which is right next to the station.  if you want something a bit more secure rent a drive way around the station for around £5 for the day.  (justpark.co.uk)

The tube on the weekend is 24 hours.  Use contactless - it may be cheaper than buying tube tickets.

Take the thames clipper as its a nice way to see most london buildings from the thames. 

Buy tickets to attractions in advance, Its cheaper.

Edited by blue blood
  • Like 1

If your driving down the M1 from Leicester then Stanmore is the easiest and quickest option. About 5 mins off J4. Jubilee line takes about 35 mins to the west end. If you drive any further into London the most direct route is on the A5 Edgware Road from Staples Corner (M1 J1). Traffic down that road can be a nightmare even at weekends. You can pay by contactless in Stanmore car park, plus the tube. Kids under 11 are free, use the wide ticket gates to travel with them. There's also Finchley Central station on the Northern Line about 10 mins off of  M1 J2 as an alternative.