Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Celtic 67

Friendly view from a Celtic fan

5 hours ago, Celtic 67 said:

Hi there, English Celtic fan here. Went to Leicester Uni back in the day so have always looked out for the club and love the city , enjoyed my time there. 

Thought I would give my two pennies on Brendan .

Positives - Great coach. Very good tactician . Good motivator.  Turns decent players into very good ones. Develops younger players. Attractive , attacking brand of football.

Negatives - Horrendous in the transfer market when signing "finished products" . Stubborn at adapting his style against better sides. Will not play defensively even when the opposition 

calls for it. Under achieved hugely in Europe. £60m wage bill should have seen us very competitive at Europa League level but were outplayed by Red Bull Salzburg who have                       less resources and a lower wage bill. Made hard work of qualifiers, again against teams with far less resources. Got off lightly in Europe using the money excuse which is fine in 

the UCL but at Europa league level our investment should have seen us as competitive. 

What I must stress is his ability to improve players.

Mcgregor ,Tierney , Rogic , Forrest , Boyata all improved hugely under him.

He signed some very good young players in Ntcham , Dembele and Edouard and made them all better .

So if you have some good younger players (Maddison etc ) he could well take them on a level or two.

He will no doubt be in for a few of our boys in the Summer. We have some very good players who would make the step up 

to the EPL , like Van Dijk, Robertson , Forster and Wanyama have in recent years. 

Tierney is an obvious one , but has today been heavily linked with Arsenal for £25m quid ( great day for us this ). 

Forrest has been linked with Liverpool and could make the step up. 

Rogic is top class but has signed a new deal recently. There would be question marks over his injury record and fitness.

Mcgregor is the best of the lot , Brendan has turned him into a top player. He would be one I would be very interested to see in the EPL.

Boyata is out of contract and wants a Premier League move but I don't think he is quite good enough , although BR did improve him.  Lives off of the fact he plays for Belgium. 

Benkovic looked decent when he played but had a deer in the headlights appearance at Ibrox before getting injured. Be interesting to see how he gets on when he is

back with you.

Edouard is a striker with huge potential , Brendan is a huge fan of his . 

Will be interesting to see if he tries to take any of them in the summer. 

He also had a very good relationship with some of the senior pro's like Brown , Gordon and Lustig. I Imagine he will get on well and get the best out of Vardy, Schemiechael  etc.

Be very very wary of his scouting team and the director of football that follows him to clubs ( Lee Congerton ). His general record in the transfer market here is very very poor . 

I would say his success rate with signings was about 25% during his time here. He got some big ones right ( Moussa Dembele, Edouard , Ntcham , Sinclair ) but signed a long list of duds. He relies on his ability to coach current players and improve youth more than his eye in the transfer market. If he starts signing unknowns beware. 

I think he could be extremely good for you overall, and will be a step up from Puel.  If he can get it right in the transfer market than you have won a watch as his coaching and tactics will

take care of the rest. 

Best of luck.

Thanks for the info I love posts like this from other fans. I've been reading a Celtic forum over the last 48 hours and quite a few on there are very negativite towards Lennon. Why is this? I always thought he did really well up there as a player and as a manager and was loved by the fans?

Celtic 67, thanks for the info, Celtic being my second team and always will be, I wish them all the success in the world. Celtic broke all my dreams when you stole MON from us back in the day but in away I was ok with it! When Lennon went I was more pissed off. I don't like using the word karma but there you go I said it. But this time round it's a win win for both party's £6m to the boys in green and a true Celtic legend back in the fold, wish you well, I know Brendan will do us proud here ?

12 hours ago, Analysethis said:

All I have seen all day is everyone from Rod Stewart to Kris Commons along with there fan base talking about there club like they are one of the best in the World. 

Like no one on her does the same. All we've won is one title and three league cups. That's not even 1% of the silver celtic have won. But still some of our fans rate us the same. 

13 hours ago, Danizen said:

I'm living in Glasgow, at the minute. Almost every Celtic fan I've ever met has been so friendly. Had loads of drunken reminiscing over O'Neill (and to a a lesser extent, Lennon). 

Hope that doesn't change after all this! lol

Wear chain mail

27 minutes ago, sylofox said:

Like no one on her does the same. All we've won is one title and three league cups. That's not even 1% of the silver celtic have won. But still some of our fans rate us the same. 

No one is saying that Celtic historically are not a big club but sometimes people need to be realistic or in fact that we are the same. You cant argue with history. Historically Nottingham Forest are a much bigger club that us with there honours lists but we are talking about 2019 and not decades ago.

The facts are Celtic cannot attract the players we can, can not afford what we can and dont play in the league we do. However, because they win a one horse race which at times is a two horse race, they have a superiority complex. I cant see how many of there first team would get into ours. I cant see them being this big club that can poach lets say a premier league manager if they have a vacancy but will of course be attractive for an out of work manager or lower league manager. It may hurt t hear it because they have a massive fanbase and the club used to have some of the worlds best players, best managers and do well in all competitions but thats all finished and they need to know who they are.

12 hours ago, Analysethis said:

Its typical of so called big clubs and there supporters. When you pilfer the other Scottish clubs of there talents for a pittance its all OK. When you get a reality check when a mid-table Prem club grabs your manager you dont like it. You can talk down Leicester all you want fella, we have your manager, you have a player of ours on loan who will never sign for you unless we want to get rid and thats where we are in 2019. Whether its the TV money or whatever, its the current state of affairs. No one doubts your history but it hasnt happened in years and there is no prospect of it happening in the future. The only hope for you is that there is some breakaway leagues and then you are back in the game. For now, just have a reality check and realise that your club is big in structure but is a pauper in real terms and cant compete with us.

Anyway, moving on I wish your mob go battle it out with St Mirren, Hamilton and Livingston as they will be massive games for you. Oh BTW, even Jock knew LOL 

Using child abuse as one up against a football fan is about as low as you can get. It's utterly disgusting and I feel so sorry for you if you think so little of it that you feel it's fine to throw in people's face. 

Go support Rangers if you wanna act like a fuching animal. No place for it at Leicester. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, sylofox said:

Who cares? Live in the now! We are top 20 wealthy club in the world. Celtic are barely hanging on.

3 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

Using child abuse as one up against a football fan is about as low as you can get. It's utterly disgusting and I feel so sorry for you if you think so little of it that you feel it's fine to throw in people's face. 

Go support Rangers if you wanna act like a fuching animal. No place for it at Leicester. 

I’ll second that.

I have no desire to get involved in this, but, if you take a look at official Club Media platforms (Facebook/Twitter/Instagram) and compare the number of followers,  Celtic might not as big as they think they are, compared with little old Leicester.

14 hours ago, Celtic 67 said:

Will not play defensively even when the opposition calls for it.

He'll fit right in then ;) We're pretty adept at that already!

We've also had some 'less said, the better' transfers ourselves. I'm not entirely sure how we go about transfers tbh so Rodgers might not have as much say as he's used to.

Otherwise, there seems reason to be optimistic. I'm looking forward to the next couple of matches (and I've not said that for a while!) just to see what changes Rodgers might make (players and tactics)

9 hours ago, Yush96 said:

Uh, I was gonna post something else, but feel like I should address your reply to OP first. You are calling him out for no reason here at all, especially when you say "You can talk down Leicester all you want fella". OP never started the topic about which club is bigger, you did. He came and politely gave an opinion about he thinks of Brendan as manager, in which you proceeded to insert your beef with other celtic fans for no reason, and now you're just going on OP as if he was the one who started this whole debate.

Anyways, back to what I was gonna post initially. I am a Liverpool fan (btw, if I came on here and started talking about how Leicester are a small club than Liverpool then you wouldn't like it either, so just give him some respect. He didn't have to come to this forum and write this but he did to give you guys an idea of what your new guys is about), and I have to say you guys have a real manager here. What OP said in his post regarding his transfer market success is true, his transfer dealings at Liverpool and Celtic haven't been great. But what OP said about regarding his ability to coach players to a higher level is also true, during his time at Anfield BR was able to significantly improve the players he had his disposal. Sterling, Suarez, Sturridge, Coutinho, are all perfect examples of the players he took to the next level. The likes of Coutinho, Suarez and Gerrard still hold BR in the highest regard and have called him one of the best man managers in the game, which I think should work for you given the problems that I have read about Puel vs Player power at the club. He is also a good tactician, as evidenced in game against arsenal when we went up 4-0 within the first 20 mins, which is still one of the best games i have seen in recent memory, but he does have problems defensively, which he needs to improve upon, and hopefully he does, because if his record at Celtic against bigger teams in Europe are to go by, then you will likely get trashed a lot when you play the top 6 teams. Here's to hoping that it doesn't come to that and that he has learnt from his mistakes because I genuinely believe this squad has a lot of potential to challenge for top 6/7, and BR just might be the guy to take you to that level.

All said, you guys have a good manager now. I always felt that the Liverpool move came in too early in his career but this one seems like a perfect match. Hope you guys can have a great rest of the season, and hopefully maybe even snag that 7th place spot by the end of the season because I am curious to see what he can do in Europe with a better squad and more finances to compete. Cheers guys!

LOL you do have to have a giggle at some of the generic stuff that people type with little detail. For starters, you talk of Rodgers having a dodgy transfer record. He does have some stinkers in there but which manager doesnt? What you need to talk about is he was the manager who signed Coutinho for £8.5m, bought in Firmino, Joe Gomez, Emre Can, Clyne, Lovren, Milner, Sakho, Lallana, Sturridge etc. His record deal I think I am right in saying was about 30m for Benteke and we know that didnt work out. We spent a similar amount on Slimani. Had he had Klopp money (£56m Allison, £75m Van Dijk, £40m Fabinho, £52m Keita, £35m Chamberlain, £34m Salah) maybe Liverpool would have won the title if they kept the faith with him.

Its the same at Celtic. He didn't have the luxury of mega money and got Celtic to play a brand of football that was superb and put them on the map after that Ronny Deila debacle. Its been common knowledge that Brendan Rodgers has been arguing with the hierarchy of Celtic for months as they haven't backed him with first choice transfer targets. They have money in the bank which the Rangers fans will tell you is being held back to pay compensation for the nonces in the club of yesteryear and the payments they have to pay. Here is an interesting article for those who dont know what I am talking about https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-46109874

Anyway, opinions are always blinkered and fuzzy when a player leaves you or in this case the manager. They go from heroes to zeros. More bias is always on what these lot didnt do as opposed to did do and thats my point. Its a bit of sour grapes. Just check out the media and the Celtic fans. Its quite sad really.

17 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

Im talking about the football club in General. You may want to sweep this disgusting historical fact under the carpet but to me this is part of the club. The way it was covered up was disgusting and akin to what went on with Saville and the BBC. If you want to deflect things to say I am the low one then I`ll come back at you then that says more about you than me mate.

Just now, Analysethis said:

Im talking about the football club in General. You may want to sweep this disgusting historical fact under the carpet but to me this is part of the club. The way it was covered up was disgusting and akin to what went on with Saville and the BBC. If you want to deflect things to say I am the low one then I`ll come back at you then that says more about you than me mate.

But it's got Fuch all to do with football and you didn't use it to bring awareness to what happened or to stop it being "sweeped" away. You used it as an insult to rile him up. Absolutely no different from the scum Celtic fans who mentioned the helicopter crash yesterday. You're using human tragedy to wind up someone because they wear a different coloured shirt on a Saturday. It's pathetic.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

But it's got Fuch all to do with football and you didn't use it to bring awareness to what happened or to stop it being "sweeped" away. You used it as an insult to rile him up. Absolutely no different from the scum Celtic fans who mentioned the helicopter crash yesterday. You're using human tragedy to wind up someone because they wear a different coloured shirt on a Saturday. It's pathetic.

You are saying me highlighting that they are a club that hid paedos makes me no different to those who joke about the helicopter crash? I think you are delusional.

The constant here is we have a Club that hid paedos and then makes jokes about our owners passing. I have read obscene things that the Celts wanted Rodgers to fly down in the helicopter. I have read some real disgusting things over the last 24 hours. Its coming from them not me. Also dont attempt to blame me for the sick stuff they let go on in their club, I am just highlighting them just like you did about what they said about the helicopter crash.

For me Celtic fans (and of course I am generalising) are typical of a massive fish in a small bowl. They were once massive but are now not significant in todays modern day football. They have hate today by some of the obscene things they are saying about our club and what they want to happen to Brendan Rodgers. They are also a club that to this day is having to deal with the paedo stuff of yesteryear, something they attempted to sweep under the carpet. 

You may have guessed I am not a fan of the club as a whole and the last 24 hours has only intensified my view point on many of the scumbags.

51 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Who cares? Live in the now! We are top 20 wealthy club in the world. Celtic are barely hanging on.

Actually, this is no longer true. We're 22nd in the world, with revenue last season of €179.4 mil.

Celtic are on €114.7m. So yes, they are financially worse off. But then you look at Everton, on €212.9m, and Spurs with double that at about €400m, and United with almost double that; really we're closer to Celtic than we are to the big dogs. 

I have a lot of hope for the future and I believe in our club to grow and compete one day, but we can't get ahead of ourselves.

12 minutes ago, Analysethis said:

You are saying me highlighting that they are a club that hid paedos makes me no different to those who joke about the helicopter crash? I think you are delusional.

The constant here is we have a Club that hid paedos and then makes jokes about our owners passing. I have read obscene things that the Celts wanted Rodgers to fly down in the helicopter. I have read some real disgusting things over the last 24 hours. Its coming from them not me. Also dont attempt to blame me for the sick stuff they let go on in their club, I am just highlighting them just like you did about what they said about the helicopter crash.

For me Celtic fans (and of course I am generalising) are typical of a massive fish in a small bowl. They were once massive but are now not significant in todays modern day football. They have hate today by some of the obscene things they are saying about our club and what they want to happen to Brendan Rodgers. They are also a club that to this day is having to deal with the paedo stuff of yesteryear, something they attempted to sweep under the carpet. 

You may have guessed I am not a fan of the club as a whole and the last 24 hours has only intensified my view point on many of the scumbags.

You can't mock Celtic by saying that their European success is historic and simultaneously hold historic atrocities against them, isn't really a coherent position. 

Yes, some Celtic fans have said despicable things about the helicopter crash but there'll be that minority in any fan base. We have taken their popular and successful manager from them mid-season and I think some humbleness is due; this thread was started by a Celtic supporter - who didn't have to - offering us an even-handed evaluation of our new manager. I for one am grateful for that.

Edited by SirFox

4 minutes ago, Analysethis said:

Where you using the child abuse scandal for justice for those families involved? No. You brought it up to put down another football fan. Same as those moron Celtic fans yesterday. That's where the similarities are. You mentioned it to win an argument you started with what seems like a fairly decent guy. 

Don't talk to me about Celtic. I was a season ticket holder at Ibrox until I was 15. I know how horrible they can be as fans in general but the reason I don't support Rangers anymore is because they are just as bad,if not worse and I want no part of a fan base that uses non footballing issues, horrible ones at that to point score against other football fans. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Celtic 67 said:

His transfer record is very poor at Celtic. There is plenty of evidence for it. We have a thread on our forum and he has signed 14 players with no first team impact in 3 seasons.  A good DOF will hopefully negate this problem at LCFC.

Celtic have a more expensive side than  Red Bull Salszburg , we have a higher wage bill at 60m. With that investment you should be able to compete better with Europa League teams. 

Lennon managed to beat Barcelona and qualify for the last 16 of the UCL.

Strachan managed to beat Man United, AC Milan , Juventus,  and qualify for the last 16 of the UCL twice.

MON managed to beat Barcelona , Liverpool, Juventus, Benfica, Ajax, Valencia and others and do well in the UCL as well as Europa final and Quarter final.

Rodgers bombed horribly in Europe while every other Celtic manager was a success ( last 16 of the UCL or latter stages Europa is success for us ) . This was purely down to his inability to to adapt a game plan or set a side up defensively.  It is his major flaw imo. The " it's too big a step up from SPL to Europe" is a convenient excuse he used often  - as I have outlined , other managers were able to get results and give us modest "success" at that level. 

Ref his poor transfer record at Celtic you have to put it into perspective. Celtic and the Scottish league, despite what their own fans think is not a big draw for top standard players. They cannot compete with either the transfer fees or wages available in the English Premier League, wasn't this one of the reasons he left?  Actually here at Leicester city, he will find he doesn't have a lot of say on what players come in and go we have a certain Mr Rudkin who does all that.

1 minute ago, Foxy_Bear said:

Where you using the child abuse scandal for justice for those families involved? No. You brought it up to put down another football fan. Same as those moron Celtic fans yesterday. That's where the similarities are. You mentioned it to win an argument you started with what seems like a fairly decent guy. 

Don't talk to me about Celtic. I was a season ticket holder at Ibrox until I was 15. I know how horrible they can be as fans in general but the reason I don't support Rangers anymore is because they are just as bad,if not worse and I want no part of a fan base that uses non footballing issues, horrible ones at that to point score against other football fans. 

I stated a fact that the club covered up what was going on, even from the top. I have them on the same level as the BBC with Saville (and others) and the Roman Catholic church to the thousands that have let suffer. That topic is maybe for another day and another thread. You did highlight the atrocious things that Celtic fans are saying about our club, our owners passing and Rodgers. I didn't. I have read plenty and I detest that section of their fan base. Again thats maybe for another thread.

The point is I am not a fan of their club for a number of reasons and the last 24 hours has only lessened my opinion of them. I offer an apology to those like the OP who may have come here in good faith but I just cant stand them. Just go on to there fans forums and social media to see the disgusting things that they are saying. I hope Rangers catch and surpass the classless bunch.