Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Celtic 67

Friendly view from a Celtic fan

Thank you for that info. 

Can't see him bringing his own DoF as our current one is wedged tightly into a few boardmembers' ar5es.

Would be interesting to see if he'd go back for players. We would be in need of a striker in the summer and Edouard looks a tidy player from what I've seen.

If his art is taking potential to the next level then we are a perfect fit. Chilwell, Benkovic, Ndidi, Tielemans, Barnes, Grey, Maddison all fall under the "potential" criteria.

This COULD be something great. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, wardyfox86 said:

Thank you for that info. 

Can't see him bringing his own DoF as our current one is wedged tightly into a few boardmembers' ar5es.

Would be interesting to see if he'd go back for players. We would be in need of a striker in the summer and Edouard looks a tidy player from what I've seen.

If his art is taking potential to the next level then we are a perfect fit. Chilwell, Benkovic, Ndidi, Tielemans, Barnes, Grey, Maddison all fall under the "potential" criteria.

This COULD be something great. 

If that is a list you would file under "potential " than Rodgers is the perfect man for you. It is his speciality , without doubt. 

31 minutes ago, Celtic 67 said:

Hi there, English Celtic fan here. Went to Leicester Uni back in the day so have always looked out for the club and love the city , enjoyed my time there. 

Thought I would give my two pennies on Brendan .

Positives - Great coach. Very good tactician . Good motivator.  Turns decent players into very good ones. Develops younger players. Attractive , attacking brand of football.

Negatives - Horrendous in the transfer market when signing "finished products" . Stubborn at adapting his style against better sides. Will not play defensively even when the opposition 

calls for it. Under achieved hugely in Europe. £60m wage bill should have seen us very competitive at Europa League level but were outplayed by Red Bull Salzburg who have                       less resources and a lower wage bill. Made hard work of qualifiers, again against teams with far less resources. Got off lightly in Europe using the money excuse which is fine in 

the UCL but at Europa league level our investment should have seen us as competitive. 

What I must stress is his ability to improve players.

Mcgregor ,Tierney , Rogic , Forrest , Boyata all improved hugely under him.

He signed some very good young players in Ntcham , Dembele and Edouard and made them all better .

So if you have some good younger players (Maddison etc ) he could well take them on a level or two.

He will no doubt be in for a few of our boys in the Summer. We have some very good players who would make the step up 

to the EPL , like Van Dijk, Robertson , Forster and Wanyama have in recent years. 

Tierney is an obvious one , but has today been heavily linked with Arsenal for £25m quid ( great day for us this ). 

Forrest has been linked with Liverpool and could make the step up. 

Rogic is top class but has signed a new deal recently. There would be question marks over his injury record and fitness.

Mcgregor is the best of the lot , Brendan has turned him into a top player. He would be one I would be very interested to see in the EPL.

Boyata is out of contract and wants a Premier League move but I don't think he is quite good enough , although BR did improve him.  Lives off of the fact he plays for Belgium. 

Benkovic looked decent when he played but had a deer in the headlights appearance at Ibrox before getting injured. Be interesting to see how he gets on when he is

back with you.

Edouard is a striker with huge potential , Brendan is a huge fan of his . 

Will be interesting to see if he tries to take any of them in the summer. 

He also had a very good relationship with some of the senior pro's like Brown , Gordon and Lustig. I Imagine he will get on well and get the best out of Vardy, Schemiechael  etc.

Be very very wary of his scouting team and the director of football that follows him to clubs ( Lee Congerton ). His general record in the transfer market here is very very poor . 

I would say his success rate with signings was about 25% during his time here. He got some big ones right ( Moussa Dembele, Edouard , Ntcham , Sinclair ) but signed a long list of duds. He relies on his ability to coach current players and improve youth more than his eye in the transfer market. If he starts signing unknowns beware. 

I think he could be extremely good for you overall, and will be a step up from Puel.  If he can get it right in the transfer market than you have won a watch as his coaching and tactics will

take care of the rest. 

Best of luck.

Even the negatives seem to be workable with us as our DOF is bullet proof here and if Ridgers tries to take him on then he wont win. Likewise signing players isnt going to solely be down to him but we seem to have lost our head of recruitment so that bothers me somewhat in who is responsible for bringing in that new man. 

We have such a young team its ridiculous and sounds like Rodgers will improve most of them. Great news.

Having been following Celtic for 2 1/2 years I can say with as much speculation as you that your comments as per Transfers are based on no evidence.

Celtic has No money and an idiot for a CEO. Red Bull Salzberg actually know how to run a business and It looks like LCFC does as well. Celtic's record transfer was 9 million. Last Year. Go beat Barcelona with that! Oh that's right he should have parked the bus. 

Watch what Brendan and the club create here. Its going to be something special. You should go home and send Brendan a post saying Thank You.

32 minutes ago, Celtic 67 said:

Hi there, English Celtic fan here. Went to Leicester Uni back in the day so have always looked out for the club and love the city , enjoyed my time there. 

Positives - Great coach. Very good tactician . Good motivator.  Turns decent players into very good ones. Develops younger players. Attractive , attacking brand of football.

Negatives - Horrendous in the transfer market when signing "finished products" . Stubborn at adapting his style against better sides. Will not play defensively even when the opposition 

calls for it. Under achieved hugely in Europe. £60m wage bill should have seen us very competitive at Europa League level but were outplayed by Red Bull Salzburg who have                       less resources and a lower wage bill. Made hard work of qualifiers, again against teams with far less resources. Got off lightly in Europe using the money excuse which is fine in 

the UCL but at Europa league level our investment should have seen us as competitive. 

He signed some very good young players in Ntcham , Dembele and Edouard and made them all better .

So if you have some good younger players (Maddison etc ) he could well take them on a level or two.

He will no doubt be in for a few of our boys in the Summer. We have some very good players who would make the step up 

to the EPL , like Van Dijk, Robertson , Forster and Wanyama have in recent years. 

Tierney is an obvious one , but has today been heavily linked with Arsenal for £25m quid ( great day for us this ). 

Rogic is top class but has signed a new deal recently. There would be question marks over his injury record and fitness.

Mcgregor is the best of the lot , Brendan has turned him into a top player. He would be one I would be very interested to see in the EPL.

Boyata is out of contract and wants a Premier League move but I don't think he is quite good enough , although BR did improve him.  Lives off of the fact he plays for Belgium. 

Benkovic looked decent when he played but had a deer in the headlights appearance at Ibrox before getting injured. Be interesting to see how he gets on when he is

back with you.

He also had a very good relationship with some of the senior pro's like Brown , Gordon and Lustig. I Imagine he will get on well and get the best out of Vardy, Schemiechael  etc.

Be very very wary of his scouting team and the director of football that follows him to clubs ( Lee Congerton ). His general record in the transfer market here is very very poor . 

I would say his success rate with signings was about 25% during his time here. He got some big ones right ( Moussa Dembele, Edouard , Ntcham , Sinclair ) but signed a long list of duds. He relies on his ability to coach current players and improve youth more than his eye in the transfer market. If he starts signing unknowns beware. 

I think he could be extremely good for you overall, and will be a step up from Puel.  If he can get it right in the transfer market than you have won a watch as his coaching and tactics will

take care of the rest. 

Best of luck.

GOSH!

Wasn't who i wanted and tbh i have not been as excited as many of you guys have been who have posted on forums today. Saying that i was exactly the same with most LCFC managers when they were appointed. I think i did get abit excited when we got Sven though :blush:

However reading this post and hoping its true, it seems he might just be what we want, still apprehensive though, but looking forward to the remaining games of the season. Which if i am honest (yea yea call me plastic) i wasnt after watching the Palace game. 

Personal feelings aside, i am 100% backing him and really hope the crowd show they are too. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the summary. Thanks for Brendan, he'll fit in nicely here.

All the best for the remainder of the season under Lennon - although I think it's time Rangers mounted another challenge at winning the league title, Aberdeen are already too far off.

It's been a bit dull up North in terms of footballing surprises in recent years.

11 minutes ago, SO1 said:

Having been following Celtic for 2 1/2 years I can say with as much speculation as you that your comments as per Transfers are based on no evidence.

Celtic has No money and an idiot for a CEO. Red Bull Salzberg actually know how to run a business and It looks like LCFC does as well. Celtic's record transfer was 9 million. Last Year. Go beat Barcelona with that! Oh that's right he should have parked the bus. 

Watch what Brendan and the club create here. Its going to be something special. You should go home and send Brendan a post saying Thank You.

His transfer record is very poor at Celtic. There is plenty of evidence for it. We have a thread on our forum and he has signed 14 players with no first team impact in 3 seasons.  A good DOF will hopefully negate this problem at LCFC.

Celtic have a more expensive side than  Red Bull Salszburg , we have a higher wage bill at 60m. With that investment you should be able to compete better with Europa League teams. 

Lennon managed to beat Barcelona and qualify for the last 16 of the UCL.

Strachan managed to beat Man United, AC Milan , Juventus,  and qualify for the last 16 of the UCL twice.

MON managed to beat Barcelona , Liverpool, Juventus, Benfica, Ajax, Valencia and others and do well in the UCL as well as Europa final and Quarter final.

Rodgers bombed horribly in Europe while every other Celtic manager was a success ( last 16 of the UCL or latter stages Europa is success for us ) . This was purely down to his inability to to adapt a game plan or set a side up defensively.  It is his major flaw imo. The " it's too big a step up from SPL to Europe" is a convenient excuse he used often  - as I have outlined , other managers were able to get results and give us modest "success" at that level. 

Edited by Celtic 67
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Celtic 67 said:

back with you.

take care of the rest. 

Best of luck.

Gracious of you in what must be a turbulent day for all Celtic fans. I remember how it felt when MON left us after bringing the best era of the club since I started watching them in the mid 70's. I don't think it's quite the same as Lennon will I'm sure, will do a decent job up there for you, coupled with the fact that it seemed inevitable that Rodgers was going to leave for a club in the EPL, sooner or later.  

As most have said, we have to thank Puel for building a core of cracking young players with bags of potential, so the positives you outlined are exactly what we need.

The owners are much more engaged and supportive of the manager here, but with our DoF, we have a strong gatekeeper, so doubt he'll be bringing his own guy in there.

Finally, I'm pragmatic and honest enough to understand that if Rodgers gets a higher profile offer in the coming years, he'll be off. But, my consolation is that it will be because he has been doing a good job with us and we will be closer to a top European Training Facility as well as plans to extend and redevelop the KingPower Stadium, which should allow us to attract the right replacement.

Best of luck and I still expect you'll do the treble!:fc::scarf:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Celtic 67 said:

His transfer record is very poor at Celtic. There is plenty of evidence for it. We have a thread on our forum and he has signed 14 players with no first team impact in 3 seasons. 

Celtic have a more expensive side than  Red Bull Salszburg , we have a higher wage bill at 60m. With that investment you should be able to compete better with Europa League teams. 

Strachan managed to beat Man United, AC Milan , Juventus,  and qualify for the last 16 of the UCL twice.

MON managed to beat Barcelona , Liverpool, Juventus, Benfica, Ajax, Valencia and others and do well in the UCL as well as Europa final and Quarter final.

Rodgers bombed horribly in Europe while every other Celtic manager was a success ( last 16 of the UCL or latter stages Europa is success for us ) . This was purely down to his inability to to adapt a game plan or set a side up defensively. 

Agggh dont spoil it, i was just getting on board with all the hype :S 

Joking aside didnt you or someone mention this was partly down to some DoF he takes along with him, Lee something? If thats the case i doubt he will be coming to LCFC as we already have a steady guy that there is no way on hell will be replaced. Unless i am reading it wrong? 

Edited by Suzie the Fox

1 minute ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Agggh dont spoil it, i was just getting on board with all the hype :S 

Joking aside didnt you or someone mention this was partly down to some DoF he takes along with him, Lee something? If thats the case i doubt he will be coming to LCFC as we already have a steady guy that there is no way on hell will be replaced. Unless i am reading it wrong? 

Lee Congerton was his head of player recruitment and has done a horrible job . He is still at Celtic somehow. Maybe he should take the blame and not BR, who knows. The buck stops with the manager for me though. 

Just now, Celtic 67 said:

Lee Congerton was his head of player recruitment and has done a horrible job . He is still at Celtic somehow. Maybe he should take the blame and not BR, who knows. The buck stops with the manager for me though. 

Thank you for clarifying. And i agree the buck does stop with the manager IF the manager is allowed to say no and its not done over its head. Seems this is not always the case nowadays though .. eg  Conte @ Chelsea. 

16 minutes ago, Celtic 67 said:

His transfer record is very poor at Celtic. There is plenty of evidence for it. We have a thread on our forum and he has signed 14 players with no first team impact in 3 seasons.  A good DOF will hopefully negate this problem at LCFC.

Rodgers bombed horribly in Europe while every other Celtic manager was a success ( last 16 of the UCL or latter stages Europa is success for us ) . This was purely down to his inability to to adapt a game plan or set a side up defensively.  It is his major flaw imo. The " it's too big a step up from SPL to Europe" is a convenient excuse he used often  - as I have outlined , other managers were able to get results and give us modest "success" at that level. 

On the European failures, it is a blot on his copy book yet of all the other managers bar O'Neill they havent impressed me at clubs in England. Where as Rodgers did brilliantly at Swansea and at Liverpool he did fairly well when you measure his whole time there but if you look purely at the season they nearly won the league then it's a big tick. They were phenomenal that year. 

Cheers for your Celtic view but the reality is many of your fans have this delusional feeling like its 1967 again or something. He was always going to go to a bigger club and despite people still thinking of us as "Little Leicester", our brand has grown hugely around the world since our prem win, it continued the following season as we narrowly lost to Athletico Madrid in the Quarter Finals which remarkably is a round that I think I am right in saying Celtic having reached since 1980? We have more value of players in transfer fees out on loan than Celtics first team squad is worth so of course he wouldn't want to stay in that mickey mouse league. If ever Celtic and Rangers joined the EPL then its a different thing altogether and these mega clubs could mix with our elite with a transfer budget we get but it wont happen any time soon. Just to remind Celtic fans you got Rodgers and before that you had Ronny Deila (who?) and the likes of Lennon and Mowbray!! The football club is massive but you cant bypass finances and all these clubs like ours are more of an attractive option.

As for my opinion of Rodgers, forget the negative transfer stuff as our recruitment has been a team effort and not just the manager making the decisions so we can handle that side of things. The positive is he improves players and many talk about how he has helped them, has a record of introducing youth, plays attractive football and builds from the back (with our players I cant see why people think we cant do this as we have some of the better ball players in the division), plays a pressing game and has passion. I personally think its the absolute perfect fit and the timing is great. If he does as well as hoped over the next 2-3 seasons I can see him going to a top 4 club but most of them have settled managers and Chelsea love a big foreign name so I can see why he isnt waiting to get that gig.

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

On the European failures, it is a blot on his copy book yet of all the other managers bar O'Neill they havent impressed me at clubs in England. Where as Rodgers did brilliantly at Swansea and at Liverpool he did fairly well when you measure his whole time there but if you look purely at the season they nearly won the league then it's a big tick. They were phenomenal that year. 

Rodgers is the best manager on that list for me overall. 

Lennon has alot more potential than people realise. He needs to reign in his emotions at times but he is a good tactician and very astute in the transfer market. 

Strachan is a cock. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Celtic 67 said:

Rodgers is the best manager on that list for me overall. 

Lennon has alot more potential than people realise. He needs to reign in his emotions at times but he is a good tactician and very astute in the transfer market. 

Strachan is a cock. 

Hahahaa very well put!!