Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Celtic 67

Friendly view from a Celtic fan

Thank you Celtic 67. A fair summary.

A friend of mine is a fanatical Liverpool fan. And her husband is a fanatical Celtic fan. Based on what she tells me we have got ourselves one awesome manager. I am very pleased with the Brodge!

We can now enjoy the rest of this season and a very promising 2019/20...

1 minute ago, turtmcfly said:

The only bit in that relevant to the OP's actual post is the first five words. Must be a blast on Xmas morning round yours.

To be honest Im a little sick of Celtic fans. It was alright when the likes of MON or Lennon were poached but there reaction around social media has been quite classless and gutless.

I know it may have sounded like I took it out on the OP but the reality is they are all desperate for him to stay and are sick that he is going. All I have seen all day is everyone from Rod Stewart to Kris Commons along with there fan base talking about there club like they are one of the best in the World. They play in a mickey mouse league, attract largely pish players and managers and the fact that Rodgers is coming down here should not diminish his record for the Celts having won 7 out of 7 trophies, got them lined up for a few more despite selling there best players. They should be grateful that he put them on the map.

Sick of the Celts!!

16 minutes ago, Analysethis said:

Cheers for your Celtic view but the reality is many of your fans have this delusional feeling like its 1967 again or something. He was always going to go to a bigger club and despite people still thinking of us as "Little Leicester", our brand has grown hugely around the world since our prem win, it continued the following season as we narrowly lost to Athletico Madrid in the Quarter Finals which remarkably is a round that I think I am right in saying Celtic having reached since 1980? We have more value of players in transfer fees out on loan than Celtics first team squad is worth so of course he wouldn't want to stay in that mickey mouse league. If ever Celtic and Rangers joined the EPL then its a different thing altogether and these mega clubs could mix with our elite with a transfer budget we get but it wont happen any time soon. Just to remind Celtic fans you got Rodgers and before that you had Ronny Deila (who?) and the likes of Lennon and Mowbray!! The football club is massive but you cant bypass finances and all these clubs like ours are more of an attractive option.

As for my opinion of Rodgers, forget the negative transfer stuff as our recruitment has been a team effort and not just the manager making the decisions so we can handle that side of things. The positive is he improves players and many talk about how he has helped them, has a record of introducing youth, plays attractive football and builds from the back (with our players I cant see why people think we cant do this as we have some of the better ball players in the division), plays a pressing game and has passion. I personally think its the absolute perfect fit and the timing is great. If he does as well as hoped over the next 2-3 seasons I can see him going to a top 4 club but most of them have settled managers and Chelsea love a big foreign name so I can see why he isnt waiting to get that gig.

I'm not sure of your suggestion Leicester is a bigger club than Celtic is a serious one?!

I like Leicester and they are a growing brand as you say and I loved it when you won the league. I think Celtic are widely considered a "bigger club" though.

Could Leicester sell 60,000 season tickets?

Take 80,000 to a Europa final in Seville?

Do Leicester get invited to play every testimonial in the county because of the sheer size of fanbase?

Celtic will lose players and managers to smaller, richer clubs from the EPL. So will Ajax and Benfica. It doesn't make provincial clubs like

Leicester , Stoke or WBA bigger than any of those clubs. Are Crystal Palace a bigger club than Ajax , they stole their manager last season.

Edited by Celtic 67
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, That_Dude said:

The man took the pain to write a good, unbiased summary of Rodgers' tenure at Celtic, despite the circumstances and that's your answer?

It was heavily biased with more negatives than positives. he talks of crap in Europe but fails to say that they play in a low class league with it being difficult to go from St Mirren to Barcelona in a week. Also it was a breakdown of Celtic players which in truth Im not bothered about.

7 minutes ago, Analysethis said:

It was heavily biased with more negatives than positives. he talks of crap in Europe but fails to say that they play in a low class league with it being difficult to go from St Mirren to Barcelona in a week. Also it was a breakdown of Celtic players which in truth Im not bothered about.

My,what a chebend! 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Celtic 67 said:

I'm not sure of your suggestion Leicester is a bigger club than Celtic is a serious one?!

Do Leicester get invited to play every testimonial in the county because of the sheer size of fanbase?

Celtic will lose players and managers to smaller, richer clubs from the EPL. So will Ajax and Benfica. It doesn't make provincial clubs like

Leicester , Stoke or WBA bigger than any of those clubs. Are Crystal Palace a bigger club than Ajax , they stole their manager last season.

We are a better proposition. Your league is shite and Rangers have been away for years so its a one horse race. Playing the teams you do as a competition is a bit of a joke in 2019 but it is what it is. The glory days of the Glasgow clubs and Scottish football as a whole is long gone and the whole football in Scotland from the national team to kids coming through is in the dumps. Its a reality of today. Of course Celtic travel in huge numbers and you have a great fanbase but Leicester is a club whose reputation has grown whilst yours has gone backwards over the years. You will always be a massive fish in a tony bowl and with no TV money you will always struggle. As I mentioned, we had one crack at the Champions League and got to the quarter-finals and I think I am right in saying you havent got to that stage since 1980? I talk finances and we have a 30m player out on loan in Slimani and even a young lad in Benkovic was bought for 15m and loaned out to you! Thats the level of the two clubs and Celtic are not on the level of us.Yes you will quote fanbase and honours domestically but as mentioned Rodgers has come to us as we are a much better proposition regardless of how your mob will crow!

Good luck with Neil Lennon!!!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Celtic 67 said:

I like Leicester and they are a growing brand as you say and I loved it when you won the league. I think Celtic are widely considered a "bigger club" though.

Ignore the fools. Celtic is a far bigger club than Leicester. Your main problem is the state of Scottish football, just a terrible competition. The lure of the PL means 'smaller' clubs such as ourselves can prise away managers and players from the likes of Celtic etc

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Analysethis said:

We are a better proposition. Your league is shite and Rangers have been away for years so its a one horse race. Playing the teams you do as a competition is a bit of a joke in 2019 but it is what it is. The glory days of the Glasgow clubs and Scottish football as a whole is long gone and the whole football in Scotland from the national team to kids coming through is in the dumps. Its a reality of today. Of course Celtic travel in huge numbers and you have a great fanbase but Leicester is a club whose reputation has grown whilst yours has gone backwards over the years. You will always be a massive fish in a tony bowl and with no TV money you will always struggle. As I mentioned, we had one crack at the Champions League and got to the quarter-finals and I think I am right in saying you havent got to that stage since 1980? I talk finances and we have a 30m player out on loan in Slimani and even a young lad in Benkovic was bought for 15m and loaned out to you! Thats the level of the two clubs and Celtic are not on the level of us.Yes you will quote fanbase and honours domestically but as mentioned Rodgers has come to us as we are a much better proposition regardless of how your mob will crow!

Good luck with Neil Lennon!!!

I can quote honours in Europe if you like? 

Ever won the European cup? Ever been to 5 European finals?

We have. 

All of what you say is true. Leicester is a more attractive proposition than Celtic because of the finances that come with being in the Premier League.

Celtic is still a bigger football club. I would rather play for Leicester than Benfica because I would get more money at LCFC. Doesn't make LCFC

a bigger club. You are financially far superior thanks to TV money , so are Huddersfield . More people still turn up to watch Celtic. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Celtic 67 said:

We have. 

All of what you say is true. Leicester is a more attractive proposition than Celtic because of the finances that come with being in the Premier League.

Celtic is still a bigger football club. I would rather play for Leicester than Benfica because I would get more money at LCFC. Doesn't make LCFC

a bigger club. You are financially far superior thanks to TV money , so are Huddersfield . More people still turn up to watch Celtic. 

Its typical of so called big clubs and there supporters. When you pilfer the other Scottish clubs of there talents for a pittance its all OK. When you get a reality check when a mid-table Prem club grabs your manager you dont like it. You can talk down Leicester all you want fella, we have your manager, you have a player of ours on loan who will never sign for you unless we want to get rid and thats where we are in 2019. Whether its the TV money or whatever, its the current state of affairs. No one doubts your history but it hasnt happened in years and there is no prospect of it happening in the future. The only hope for you is that there is some breakaway leagues and then you are back in the game. For now, just have a reality check and realise that your club is big in structure but is a pauper in real terms and cant compete with us.

Anyway, moving on I wish your mob go battle it out with St Mirren, Hamilton and Livingston as they will be massive games for you. Oh BTW, even Jock knew LOL 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SO1 said:

Having been following Celtic for 2 1/2 years I can say with as much speculation as you that your comments as per Transfers are based on no evidence.

Celtic has No money and an idiot for a CEO. Red Bull Salzberg actually know how to run a business and It looks like LCFC does as well. Celtic's record transfer was 9 million. Last Year. Go beat Barcelona with that! Oh that's right he should have parked the bus. 

Watch what Brendan and the club create here. Its going to be something special. You should go home and send Brendan a post saying Thank You.

I get the feeling you are gonna be in his corner a lot in the up coming months

Edited by HankMarvin

I'm a 60 year Leicester fan, but like many others I've always had a soft spot for Celtic since there 67 European win with a bunch of misfits in the nicest terms.

Many people say that our league win will never be repeated, But equally Celtics 67 win will also never be repeated with the whole team being born within 30 Miles of Celtic park. Could you see any of the big 6 doing that, not likely.

About 20 years ago one of the papers done an independent analysis as to who were the biggest club in the world. Celtic came out on top with Real Madrid and Utd coming behind them.

The problem they have now is not so much a lack of money, but an owner who is a financier first and foremost and not really a football person.

He's very wealthy but cautious with it. Or put another way if a buyer came along and offered a worthwhile profit i believe he'd take it and move on. Without much thought for the Club or the fans.

I think the current situation is a win for both clubs, they get Cash and Lennon back were he excelled and knows the Club well. While we get Rogers who seems like a good fit for our young team.

Let's hope both Clubs to on to better times again.

I have to work with a load of Glaswegians who know I'm a Leicester fan. 

Half of them think it's hilarious Brendan left at this stage of the season.  You can guess which half. 

So this thread is the only friendly view from a Celtic fan I'm likely to see. 

:scarf:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Celtic 67 said:

We have. 

I'm not sure why you both persist. Just agree to disagree. 

If I might jump in though, it would probably be best to say Celtic are a bigger club historically. Massive. But Football has changed. Leicester are going to have the most advanced training ground in Europe before long and the stadium is going to be expanded. No doubt it would sell out no matter the size. Globally Leicesters brand has grown on an epic scale, understandably after the title win. I think the whole 'my club is bigger than yours' debate is pretty pointless these days as there are too many factors that determine the actual size of a club. 

Edited by srex9

2 hours ago, HankMarvin said:

I get the feeling you are gonna be in his corner a lot in the up coming months

Brendan's not beyond reproach for me. I seek knowledge. I want to learn why. That said, I know where I am. A modern football blog.

4 hours ago, Celtic 67 said:

His transfer record is very poor at Celtic. There is plenty of evidence for it. We have a thread on our forum and he has signed 14 players with no first team impact in 3 seasons.  A good DOF will hopefully negate this problem at LCFC.

Celtic have a more expensive side than  Red Bull Salszburg , we have a higher wage bill at 60m. With that investment you should be able to compete better with Europa League teams. 

Lennon managed to beat Barcelona and qualify for the last 16 of the UCL.

Strachan managed to beat Man United, AC Milan , Juventus,  and qualify for the last 16 of the UCL twice.

MON managed to beat Barcelona , Liverpool, Juventus, Benfica, Ajax, Valencia and others and do well in the UCL as well as Europa final and Quarter final.

Rodgers bombed horribly in Europe while every other Celtic manager was a success ( last 16 of the UCL or latter stages Europa is success for us ) . This was purely down to his inability to to adapt a game plan or set a side up defensively.  It is his major flaw imo. The " it's too big a step up from SPL to Europe" is a convenient excuse he used often  - as I have outlined , other managers were able to get results and give us modest "success" at that level. 

Good Luck and have a nice day!

Rodgers, to put it bluntly, is useless.   This talk about improving young players ??  Most of the Celtic team were there when he arrived and they would have improved with game time anyway.  He tried to buy John McGinn from Hibernian for £3million  plus Ryan Christe (Hibs wanted £5 million) and it was only after an injury to Scott Brown that he discovered that Christie was a better player than McGinn.    This is what angered Lawwell more than anything.  He played young lads like Mikey Johnson who showed up well and they weren`t even on the bench for the next few weeks.  He then put him in as a lone striker against Sevco rangers and Celtic then got the biggest going over I ever experienced from a *rangers* team in over 60 years.  He inherited a 40 goal striker , Leigh Griffiths, who is built like a racing snake and told him to lose weight.  Griffiths is still the best striker at Parkhead but he isn`t "super fit".   Make sure he doesn`t bring his medical team down with him.  On second thoughts, make sure that he does as the injury list at Celtic is horrendous.  When players from other teams have injuries their players are out for a few weeks, where in Celtic`s case it can be more than a year.   The truth of the matter is that Rodgers is absolutely terrified that Gerrard will put one over on his old master which would have seen him frogmarched to Leicester.  I will give him less than a year down in Leicester unless he gets a job in one of your stocking factories.  I am not the only one glad to see the back of him, I can assure you.  As for a previous comment about a mickey mouse league..... how many teams have a chance of winning the FPL (foreign premier league)?   Two at the most and none of them ever winning the Cl.  If every team in the UK had to stand on their own feet then Celtic would be king.   There`s no credit in winning anything when Rupert Murdoch is dishing out money like confetti.  I look forward to the bubble bursting, as it surely will.  I never ever look at the FPL but I will now to see wee Brendan`s antics on the touchline.  As for the group he has taken with him; just what was their purpose in life?   Tell me when you wish to have Lee Congerton delivered.   I will do the needful free of charge. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, HesNotGudjonsonn2 said:

So we need to be looking at a striker to gradually replace Vardy. What about Dembele? How is it going for him at Lyon and did him and Rodgers work well/get on well? 

No, they do not get along at all. Seen dembele taking shots at rodgers on twitter.