Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Tierney

15 minutes ago, Fox85 said:

Do you actually believe that Celtic is a more lucrative club than Leicester?

This is no disrespect but huddersfield has more attraction that Celtic and they have just been relegated to the championship.

We can offer players to play in the best league in the world instead of the 78th best league in the world.

We can offer more money which unfortunately is all that matters in the modern game. Also players who play for Leicester get recognised a million times more than a player that plays for Celtic.

I really don't think there is any value in comparing the clubs, both have very positive factors and both have limiting factors, I really don't think it's important.  Leicester are in a more competitive league, have more money, better players.  Celtic have a bigger fanbase, play in Europe, win more trophies albeit it a less competitive level. It's like comparing apples and oranges really, I don't get why people do it and I don't really care if one person think's Celtic are bigger than Leicester or vice versa.  The whole definition or myth if you will of a 'big club' nowadays is pointless, antiquated and a misnomer given how far the football landscape has changed.

Again, if you are going to try and argue a point, please be better informed and less sensationalist, Leicester may be a bigger pull than Celtic, I'm not arguing against that, but any person who knows any iota about football would know Huddersfield in the championship are not, nor is the Scottish league the 78th best in the world, in fact it's after this year's European co-efficient re-allignment the 20th best in Europe and the highest attended per head of national population in Eurrope.  It's not even in the same stratosphere in terms or quality and finance of the EPL but please try and be balanced to some degree and  if your going to try and make an argument based on facts at least try and be accurate.

Edited by henrik_62
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

I'll use the Vardy example again, it's like me standing here saying Vardy will be off if Spurs come in for him

But this is where we're saying you're a little biased and a tiny bit deluded. I'm sorry but, no, it's not like that at all. 

If you wanted to use Spurs as the target club you'd have to be talking about a player at Sunderland or Coventry or some other "big" club languishing in obscurity. You do not have the same standing relative to us that we have to Spurs. 

Mid table premier league clubs, especially upwardly mobile ones like Watford, Wolves, Leicester and probably even Bournemouth have a much bigger gravitational pull relative to any SPL side compared to those same clubs vs Tottenham (or Arsenal or Chelsea.)

Plus, Vardy is a thirty year old with little left to do or prove in football. Every single one of us in this thread knows that if City or United come in for Chilwell or Maguire then they're off because they're above us in the football picking order and that's just life. 

The only exception is if our board refuse, which - again - a top flight club in England can afford to do because of just astronomical television money that's outside your wildest dreams. 

If Celtic refuse to sell that's another matter entirely but I'd personally be surprised. I imagine you'll be keen to cash in and build up some transfer revenue now that newco have closed the gap and you've actually got to start maintaining a decent squad again instead of just cruising to titles on your own. 

Edit: and just to be clear, my admittedly arrogant attitude towards you is nothing to do with me thinking Leicester are some huge leviathan of the sport, we absolutely aren't. I don't think we're some big massive fish in this pond. Its just that you are very tiny fry. 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

But this is where we're saying you're a little biased and a tiny bit deluded. I'm sorry but, no, it's not like that at all. 

If you wanted to use Spurs as the target club you'd have to be talking about a player at Sunderland or Coventry or some other "big" club languishing in obscurity. You do not have the same standing relative to us that we have to Spurs. 

Mid table premier league clubs, especially upwardly mobile ones like Watford, Wolves, Leicester and probably even Bournemouth have a much bigger gravitational pull relative to any SPL side compared to those same clubs vs Tottenham (or Arsenal or Chelsea.)

Plus, Vardy is a thirty year old with little left to do or prove in football. Every single one of us in this thread knows that if City or United come in for Chilwell or Maguire then they're off because they're above us in the football picking order and that's just life. 

The only exception is if our board refuse, which - again - a top flight club in England can afford to do because of just astronomical television money that's outside your wildest dreams. 

If Celtic refuse to sell that's another matter entirely but I'd personally be surprised. I imagine you'll be keen to cash in and build up some transfer revenue now that newco have closed the gap and you've actually got to start maintaining a decent squad again instead of just cruising to titles on your own. 

Edit: and just to be clear, my admittedly arrogant attitude towards you is nothing to do with me thinking Leicester are some huge leviathan of the sport, we absolutely aren't. I don't think we're some big massive fish in this pond. Its just that you are very tiny fry. 

If you are trying to compare Celtic to Sunderland or Coventry i'm out.  I've already said explicitly Leicester are a bigger draw than Celtic to a potential player for a whole host of reasons, 99.9% of the time a player will chosse Leicester over Celtic, that's just the way it is.  However, there are outliers where it's not the case and guys like Tierney and Vardy etc are great examples of this due to their emotional attachment to their clubs.

If you read my previous posts on this then you'll clearly see Celtic wanted to sell him to Everton last summer, that was public knowledge, a club very comparable to Leicester in terms of league, stature, finance, competitiveness, etc, etc.  That's the bones of my point, Tierney dug his heels in and refused to move, despite potentially quadrupling his wage, that's the very reason why I don't see him moving to Leicester or a club of that level anytime in the next couple of years at least.

Edited by henrik_62

6 minutes ago, matty98 said:

Where has this come from that Tierney turned down a move to Everton? Everything I can see online says Everton weren't willing to pay £25 mil.

Was an open secret start of last summer then Tierney came out and said as much publicly then Dembele said similar re: Rodgers trying to get him to go to Brighton and China which were the main reasons our summer window descended into farce thereafter.

3 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

Was an open secret start of last summer then Tierney came out and said as much publicly then Dembele said similar re: Rodgers trying to get him to go to Brighton and China which were the main reasons our summer window descended into farce thereafter.

Any links to back this up? pretty much everywhere online says Everton walked away

• Thanks 1

Surely this is all purely hypothetical unless Chilwell is allowed to leave which I can't imagine for 1 minute. I think our priorities will be Tielemans (or similar), a RB and striker who can also play wide. If Maguire goes (more likely than Chilwell) than possibly a proven CB as well. Chilly stays and we're all happy!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Silva Fox said:

Surely this is all purely hypothetical unless Chilwell is allowed to leave which I can't imagine for 1 minute. I think our priorities will be Tielemans (or similar), a RB and striker who can also play wide. If Maguire goes (more likely than Chilwell) than possibly a proven CB as well. Chilly stays and we're all happy!

This, exactly.  Degenerating into the old my club is bigger than yours snash.

• Like 1

Years of work done by Celtic to try and achieve this ten in a row and we can unravel it with a few bids this summer for players that might not even get in the squad. That’s the levels between the two clubs. Took Brendan about 5 seconds to jump ship lol

43 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

This, exactly.  Degenerating into the old my club is bigger than yours snash.

That's pretty much how the vast majority of football business goes. I think the difference between you and I is that you're just taking it personally is all. 

I'm not on a Man City forum telling them Chilwell won't ever sign for them because he's a Leicester boy and our own academy prospect and they're not much bigger than we are. 

Football is a ladder you progress up. You're just a lower rung, that's not an insult it's just a fact. FWIW, I've said this to Celtic fans on here before, I like the SPL and I much prefer your club to newco. It's not the usual English sneering down the nose at Scotland (for a start, I'm Welsh) and Scottish* football. 

It's just realism mate. :dunno:

(*I mean I haven't even called you Scotch yet and trust me that's taking a lot of restraint on my part.) 

Edited by Finnegan

12 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

That's pretty much how the vast majority of football business goes. I think the difference between you and I is that you're just taking it personally is all. 

I'm not on a Man City forum telling them Chilwell won't ever sign for them because he's a Leicester boy and our own academy prospect and they're not much bigger than we are. 

Football is a ladder you progress up. You're just a lower rung, that's not an insult it's just a fact. FWIW, I've said this to Celtic fans on here before, I like the SPL and I much prefer your club to newco. It's not the usual English sneering down the nose at Scotland (for a start, I'm Welsh) and Scottish* football. 

It's just realism mate. :dunno:

(*I mean I haven't even called you Scotch yet and trust me that's taking a lot of restraint on my part.) 

LOL I'm not taking it personally as much as it's a frustration at times I'm well aware of where Celtic are in the food chain (lower down than Leicester), where I took umbrage was the Coventry and Sunderland comparisons which I don't think are fair, we're not a basket case of a club like those mentioned.

18 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

LOL I'm not taking it personally as much as it's a frustration at times I'm well aware of where Celtic are in the food chain (lower down than Leicester), where I took umbrage was the Coventry and Sunderland comparisons which I don't think are fair, we're not a basket case of a club like those mentioned.

Oh no not at all. I was comparing you to Sunderland in terms of them being a "big" club in a little league. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Oh no not at all. I was comparing you to Sunderland in terms of them being a "big" club in a little league. 

Top work getting a 'like' without having to caveat the Coventry comparison.

• Haha 1

Fwiw I'm grateful for @henrik_62's contributions on here, very self aware and balanced about Celtic. Personally I think Tierney is probably holding out for better than a club like us or Everton but I'm not sure it'll happen.

• Like 4