Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Granby Halls Rush Hour Circa 1963/4

0_LM-RUSH-MAR19.jpg

This is rush-hour in Leicester 1960s style.

We wonder how many of our readers would swap today's jam-packed roads for these conditions?

This great photograph from our archive was taken in about 1963/64 at the roundabout which used to be located near to the Granby Halls.

The venue can just be glimpsed back right, while what is now Nelson Mandela Park, but was then called Welford Road Recreation Ground, is on the left.

The main road leading off into the distance is Welford Road, with the road signs on the left of the roundabout directing traffic out of the city in the direction of Coventry and Rugby.

We love some of the old cars and buses on show, including Morris Minors, Morris Minor Travellers and Triumph Heralds.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/history/check-out-old-cars-buses-2661146

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, davieG said:

0_LM-RUSH-MAR19.jpg

We wonder how many of our readers would swap today's jam-packed roads for these conditions?

This great photograph from our archive was taken in about 1963/64 at the roundabout which used to be located near to the Granby Halls.

The venue can just be glimpsed back right, while what is now Nelson Mandela Park, but was then called Welford Road Recreation Ground, is on the left.

The main road leading off into the distance is Welford Road, with the road signs on the left of the roundabout directing traffic out of the city in the direction of Coventry and Rugby.

We love some of the old cars and buses on show, including Morris Minors, Morris Minor Travellers and Triumph Heralds.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/history/check-out-old-cars-buses-2661146

That brings many memories back including one I hoped I'd never remember.  I was in the front of a Corporation bus (of the type top centre of the picture) travelling down Welford Road which hit a woman who stepped onto the crossing marked by the Belisha beacons outside Granby Halls at the last moment - she'd been talking to someone with her back to the traffic and turned round and stepped out without looking.  I walked away in shock, the poor woman was unconscious or dead, the bus driver seemed more interested in getting witnesses to prove it wasn't his fault than help her.  I didn't think I could help (I was a child at the time) and there were a lot of passers-by around her.  The image of her lying in the road is still in my mind.

• Sad 1

63/64 that's when they started out to get down to Wembley "66". The traffic was so bad you had to start out early! !!

And you could still drink n drive...!!

Crinkleyfox.posted something sad...

I well try and lighten it a bit...ca7 yearss later,I was getting off the bus stop just after the beacons,to go to work early shift has an  Apprentice at Bentleys.

There use to be an early fresh  fruit & vegetable market and a meat one on another day,not so far away..

as we were a lighting a big woman Layden with 2 big shopping bags,actually came running towards the bus...the conductor saw her,but still rang the bell...

what happened next as stayed with me, all my life (and with that friend until we lost touch)....

the woman actually covering the distance quite well,looked a bit like the Italian mother of old,out doing the restaurants or family's months shopping,so full were her bags...Well she stumbled,tripped along,but still kept her feet and footing..Then the bags exploded carrots cabbages and what seemed 50 cauli's bounced out of her bags and along the road.At the time only a few cars...I never thought a Cauli or cabbage could bounce so high..!! 

Anyway the bus started to draw away quickly,the bus conductor smiling...Well a car,collided with  a few of the cabbages and cauliflowers....and 2-3 went hurtling towards the bus, 2 landed on the floor of the platform,with my mate quipping,well at least they will get home....starting to laugh on the all round scene,a cauli bounced up and hit the conductor right on the head,as he bent down,to clear the cabbages....Well that finished us,we actually fell against the railings,killing ourselves and collapsing  with Laughter...the woman in the meantime had actually done a jig with a turn,and an Italian send off direction bus!!

That finished us off altogether,we were 15 minutes late clocking in!!!  And yes it was actually an Italian-mother...We spoke to her and helped her,but she too saw the funny side of it....ahh memories when crossing the street was just an easy carnage like any normal day of the triffids...!!....

about 18 months later,my mate and I ,were meeting in the canteen...(an eXcellent works 24h r canteen). And there serving at the counter before our very eyes was this big beautifully mama..

And all 3 of us cracked up again,especially when she asked.. "Would you like cabbage,or can I conduct you to the cauli""" ...

.Man you can't write such scripts!!

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Haha 2

Good picture, but it's only if you see one of the cars from this time, do you realise how small and insubstantial they were. The current Mini must be at least twice the size of 60's version. (I think it's aMini partially hidden behind the Triumh Herald in forefront of picture) I recently saw an old Fiat500 being driven which now seems like a glorified toy. 

On 19/03/2019 at 15:13, davieG said:

0_LM-RUSH-MAR19.jpg

Pre EU....but I bet now  post Brexit...!!!  :whistle:

13 hours ago, surrifox said:

Anyone identify the model of car to the left of the light coloured Anglia on the right of the picture ? An MGB perhaps. 

I don't think it's an MGB. It's a Bond, which was a much more humble beast. Del Boy would have loved one of those!

Don't remember the roundabout but I know exactly where that was because I remember the swings. I was that sort of age.

I am just about old enough to remember the Leyland buses in the old maroon and cream paint before they swapped the two colours round in the late sixties.

And I also remember going Skeggeh with a friend's family in a sit-up-and-beg Ford Pop, like the black thing behind the Mini. That was a very long day trip in a vehicle with only three gears and a maximum speed of 40 mph!

Also hidden on the extreme right is what looks like a PA Cresta. My grandad had one and he used to drive from Blackpool to Leicester to wash it in the first drive through car-wash in England, next to the Old Horse on Victoria Park.

1960_Bond_Minicar_Mark_F_Family_Saloon.jpg

• Thanks 1