Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SpacedX

Greatest rhythm sections ever to grace the planet.

Unsurprisingly, start with the power trios. (Proper drum n' bass innit)...

Commiserations but honourable mentions to...

Bill Wyman and Charlie Watts

Reni and Mani

John Deacon and Roger Taylor 

Cliff Williams and Phil Rudd

Paul 'Guigsy' McGuigian and Tony McCarroll...

(One or some of those may not be entirely serious).

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, spacemunky said:

I love the way that Moon and Entwistle combined. Especially given that they were exact polar opposite personalities, but it was magic. The Who should have called it quits when Keith died.

Technically Keith Moon wasn't a great drummer, didn't keep time particularly well, but he was fantastic, the only other drummer that reminds me of Keith Moon is Clem Burke of Blondie.

• 3 weeks later...
On 30/06/2019 at 23:38, bovril said:

I never thought the Stone Roses were quite as good as people made them out to be, but..... Reni and Mani were brilliant. Shame you can hardly hear Mani on the first album. 

I've always thought you can hear the influence of Johnny Marr in John Squire. I think Squire is the only guitarist to sound like Marr. That said, Waterfall and Fools Gold are great riffs.

Just now, Fox92 said:

I've always thought you can hear the influence of Johnny Marr in John Squire. I think Squire is the only guitarist to sound like Marr. That said, Waterfall and Fools Gold are great riffs.

Squire was a bit too guitar hero for me. Prefer Brown's more minimalist approach. Worked ok on the first album but he went full cock rock on the second and it hasn't aged well. 

2 hours ago, boots60 said:

Ronnie Lane & Kenny Jones

Paul Simonsen & Topper Headon

Bruce Foxton & Rick Buckler

John Entwistle & Keith Moon

John Bentley & Gilson Lavis

Agree with all of these - bar Simonon who really couldn't play bass for shit, but was blessed by arguably the most talented drummer that punk has ever seen. Bentley and Lavis is an interesting take. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Agree with all of these - bar Simonon who really couldn't play bass for shit, but was blessed by arguably the most talented drummer that punk has ever seen. Bentley and Lavis is an interesting take. 

Simonen was shit when he started out with The Clash but over time got considerably better. Guns of Brixton being a good example.

Gilson Lavis was in Squeeze for yonks. Their best period when John Bentley was on bass. Cool for cats, Up the Junction etc. Chris Difford being one of the most underrated lyricist/story teller of his era.

Just now, boots60 said:

Simonen was shit when he started out with The Clash but over time got considerably better. Guns of Brixton being a good example.

Not really - catchy bassline but not particularly involved. He did get better, but was never an accomplished bass player. Headon who was a multi-instrumentalist was much better. Norman Watt-Roy played one of the best Clash basslines - although credit to Simomon, his contribution to "Death or Glory" is bloody good.  

1 minute ago, boots60 said:

Gilson Lavis was in Squeeze for yonks. Their best period when John Bentley was on bass. Cool for cats, Up the Junction etc. 

He was also in Jools Holland's Rhythm and Blues Orchestra and is in his touring band today. 

5 minutes ago, boots60 said:

Chris Difford being one of the most underrated lyricist/story teller of his era.

The Difford/Tilbrook songwriting partnership is massively overlooked.