Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
smileysharad

Brexit!

9 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

We know that a long period of amendments etc, won’t go anywhere as there was never a majority for any of the indicative votes. Boris doesn’t want ‘bill fatigue’ to result in a ‘watered down’ version. 

it’s possible that a two week timetable could just about be acceptable to the govt but they won’t get that from the HOC as the 322 all want stuff in the bill that the govt don’t (and a majority cannot agree anyway) 

so a GE is the only way forward but the opposition down want that either !!

I expect the deal to get through eventually tbh. Think the MPs have got sick of the whole thing. 

Just expect amendments to change a raft of points like, for example, the fact it was hidden within the bill that MPs wouldn't be able to force an extension in a years time when the trade deal isnt complete on time. Utterly ludicrous. 

Though what Boris has brought home essentially splits the UK into two. Despite his dishonest bluster, the agreement means that not only will NI be in the customs union with the EU, it will have to take all new rules and laws and be subject to the ECJ. The Tories really need to drop 'and unionist' from their full name. 

Just now, HappyHamza said:

I expect the deal to get through eventually tbh. Think the MPs have got sick of the whole thing. 

Just expect amendments to change a raft of points like, for example, the fact it was hidden within the bill that MPs wouldn't be able to force an extension in a years time when the trade deal isnt complete on time. Utterly ludicrous. 

Though what Boris has brought home essentially splits the UK into two. Despite his dishonest bluster, the agreement means that not only will NI be in the customs union with the EU, it will have to take all new rules and laws and be subject to the ECJ. The Tories really need to drop 'and unionist' from their full name. 

Tbh I think any outcome henceforth splits the UK in two. I can't think of a single one that doesn't.

Just now, leicsmac said:

Tbh I think any outcome henceforth splits the UK in two. I can't think of a single one that doesn't.

True but there is a difference between outcomes leaving us divided and this particular outcome leaving us legally split with a hard customs border (which, again, despite Boris' dishonest bluster, there will be).

8 minutes ago, HappyHamza said:

True but there is a difference between outcomes leaving us divided and this particular outcome leaving us legally split with a hard customs border (which, again, despite Boris' dishonest bluster, there will be).

From a legal standpoint, certainly. From an overall outcomes standpoint in terms of ill feeling and unrest, on that I'm unsure how much difference there is.

Don't get me wrong, I think the damage Brexit will do to science research collaboration is enough for me to be fed up with the idea, but.I also know that what I want right now would result in just as much blood on the floor as what is currently being proposed, if not more.

15 minutes ago, HappyHamza said:

You might be right.

But if this is now a three month extension we need a general election, Boris can throw his deal in the bin and we can campaign on getting an even better one actually doing what we should do - taking it down to the wire to drag out every concession we can without the Benn Act/Bercow/this parliament handcuffing the PM.

Then they can decide whether to vote that through or take us out on no deal.

44 minutes ago, MattP said:

You might be right.

But if this is now a three month extension we need a general election, Boris can throw his deal in the bin and we can campaign on getting an even better one actually doing what we should do - taking it down to the wire to drag out every concession we can without the Benn Act/Bercow/this parliament handcuffing the PM.

What sort of concessions do you envisage?

53 minutes ago, MattP said:

You might be right.

There are no concessions to be gained Matt. The argument that the Benn Act has stopped us getting some amazing new deal is ridiculous.  The EU have been consistent for the whole three years.  Ever since the UK designed the backstop, the EU have been clear that it does a job but if theUK can find another workable solution they'll go with that.  There is no workable solution.  What boris has done is swap a temporary backstop for a permanent border within the UK. And yet the right are lapping it up when it's clearly a worse position. What we need is to find a deal that's close to finding consensus - so across the views of the house, not just a narrow section of the tory party - and put it to the people in a referendum.  To be honest, i don't expect to get my wish on that, an election is more likely with corbyn seemingly more interested in that, but a referendum is the only true way to sort the issue out for good. 

11 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

What sort of concessions do you envisage?

Probably very little in terms of the withdrawal agreement - but I'd like to see us right at the point of No Deal to see.

It would also give us more power when talking future trade in the next step of negotiations if we had a majority government prepared to walk away.

1 minute ago, HappyHamza said:

There are no concessions to be gained Matt. The argument that the Benn Act has stopped us getting some amazing new deal is ridiculous.  The EU have been consistent for the whole three years.  

I stopped reading at this point.

The EU has said on numerous occasions the backstop had to stay, it said the withdrawal agreement would never be re-opened and it said certain extensions wouldn't be granted.

All of it has proven to be total nonsense, just as Yanis Varoufakis always said it would be and he would know.

21 minutes ago, MattP said:

The EU has said on numerous occasions the backstop had to stay, it said the withdrawal agreement would never be re-opened and it said certain extensions wouldn't be granted.

All of it has proven to be total nonsense, just as Yanis Varoufakis always said it would be and he would know.

The EU originally offered something like the current deal but TM rejected it. After much negotiation they ended up with the Backstop. All Johnson has done is go back to the idea that TM rejected as she didn’t want to alienate the DUP, so not much of a victory there. When they said they wouldn’t reopen the WA, TM was still in charge and obviously there’d be no scope for the current arrangement. It’s Johnson who’s moved the Tory red lines. As some have said, the Backstop has been replaced with a Frontstop.

Not sure what you mean about certain extensions.

Edited by WigstonWanderer

28 minutes ago, MattP said:

Are you joking?

Have you ever been involved in any serious negotiations?

Just now, HappyHamza said:

Are you joking?

Have you ever been involved in any serious negotiations?

Certainly have, affiliate agreements that often took months to conclude just as an individual - an absolute nightmare and a couple of times I did walk away rather than take terms I didn't see as worth it.

Yourself?

23 minutes ago, MattP said:

Certainly have, affiliate agreements that often took months to conclude just as an individual - an absolute nightmare and a couple of times I did walk away rather than take terms I didn't see as worth it.

Yourself?

Yep, business partnerships and terms etc.

I've always found that a deal is sought when two parties want an outcome and those two parties both state clearly what their ideal outcome is before working to try to find a common position that does it's best to satisfy both.  Good negotiation is something involving mutual respect and positivity. The way the right talks about the trade negotiations as being us vs them Is setting us up to fail.

5 minutes ago, HappyHamza said:

Yep, business partnerships and terms etc.

I've always found that a deal is sought when two parties want an outcome and those two parties both state clearly what their ideal outcome is before working to try to find a common position that does it's best to satisfy both.  Good negotiation is something involving mutual respect and positivity. The way the right talks about the trade negotiations as being us vs them Is setting us up to fail.

There is a World of difference between negotiation in business partnership to a negotiation that sees the conclusion of that negotiation become a business competitor.

The EU needs a find a balance that doesn't hurt their own people but also discourages anyone else from leaving the bloc, our government needs one that does the same but also satisfies the electorate that voted to leave.

It's different to anything either of us will have done. 

Rumours of a Tories-Brexit pact electoral pact where they would put Boris deal v No Deal to the electorate afterwards. 

That's a pretty good idea I have to say and would surely unite the leave vote. 

BP steps aside in Tory marginals - Tory step aside in Midland/Northern seats that they can't win.

3 minutes ago, MattP said:

Rumours of a Tories-Brexit pact electoral pact where they would put Boris deal v No Deal to the electorate afterwards. 

BP steps aside in Tory marginals - Tory step aside in Midland/Northern seats that they can't win.

Wtf is the point in that? A monumental waste of time and money.

2 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Wtf is the point in that? A monumental waste of time and money.

Delivering a parliamentary majority for Brexit and then letting the people decide what sort of Brexit they want. 

FWIT I still don't see Boris taking it up.

Edited by MattP

3 hours ago, HappyHamza said:

Just expect amendments to change a raft of points like, for example, the fact it was hidden within the bill that MPs wouldn't be able to force an extension in a years time when the trade deal isnt complete on time. Utterly ludicrous

Yet your beloved EU negotiators agreed to it? Strange that.

Maybe they too are getting sick of the delays.

20 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Yet your beloved EU negotiators agreed to it? Strange that.

Maybe they too are getting sick of the delays.

The bill isnt the same at the withdrawal agreement. 

The withdrawal agreement doesn't consider the mechanisms for how the UK reaches decisions.

The bill is the UK way of implementing the agreement but they are separate things. 

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, MattP said:

Can you imagine this place if boris won a majority and the leader of the opposition was Nigel Farage. I know it’s pure fantasy but I can’t get my head around anyone voting labour anymore.