Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
smileysharad

Brexit!

23 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

Just looking across the news coverage briefly and the majority of the media outlets seem to be taking the same approach. There's little mention of his decision being based on 175 year old parliamentary procedure.

And out the people come, furious. As ill-informed as always.

"hez stopin dimocrisy, commiting treezun!"

If they are he has only got himself to blame, I mean when it suits him he throws centuries of parliamentary procedure out the window, as he did with the Grieve amendment.

Part of the job of speaker is not only to be impartial but to be seen by all as impartial - he's failed on both counts where all his predecessors succeeded.

It's a shame as most of the things he has done have been terrific.

Bercow hasn't done anything wrong today.  Certain brexiteer mps need reference to a dictionary to find out the meaning of the word "amendment".

How can he possibly allow something original back following an amendment? 

They are utterly clueless and yet people have full confidence in this lot organising a free trade deal by Dec 2020?  lol Seriously.

This bill won't get through by Oct 31st.  Not a chance.  More and more people will fall by the wayside as it goes further and further through.  

If only a common consensus could have been worked on from the outset involving everyone across the house.  Too sensible an option though clearly.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, HappyHamza said:

Surely this is a huge mistake, I can't believe anyone is actually going to vote for any of those numb skulls! Bring back the Monster raving loony party, at least we knew what we were getting with that lot.

2 hours ago, RoboFox said:

Twitter aflame with thousands of burning gammons. 

Brexit Barrys who somehow have a better grasp of parliamentary procedure than the speaker.

He signalled this would happen on Saturday, why are people surprised?

Erskine May seems clear that the Speaker cannot allow Johnson to bring back his meaningful vote today. 

https://erskinemay.parliament.uk/section/4748/matters-already-decided-during-the-same-session/?highlight=Matters already

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

Isn't Bercow just ensuring the rules of the House are met, in line with law and legislation? 

Why is everyone shitting their knickers about it? Is it just because they don't like him? 

To put it simply democracy is the most important thing in the world unless it's not giving you what you wanted, then it's betrayal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The reason why Bercow is subject to so much criticism (putting aside the allegations of bullying) is that he is not perceived as impartial, which is what a Speaker should be. Whist the decision today was entirely expected, his decisions previously do seem to favour the MP's in the Remain camp as was argued in this article from 6 weeksa go:

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/09/john-bercow-and-the-abandoning-of-the-speakers-impartiality/

Don’t really have a problem with not rushing through anything, and giving MP’s the time needed to review and digest Johnson’s deal before making a decision. 

(I think an issue is that the speaker is an absolute c*nt and any stick that is offered will be used to beat him).

Similarly, the MP’s who don’t want Brexit will vote against it whatever the content of the deal. 

I also don’t really have a problem with pro Brexit types trying everything they can to leave and anti Brexit types trying every trick to string it out. 

But the delay feels a bit pointless.

Has the stirrings of the beginning of the end game, though...

• Like 1

This is great, they are getting pissed off in the European parliament now lol

Can't help thinking the Remainers might be going a bit Extinction Rebellion here.

1 hour ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Bercow is an arse.

That's not a remain or leave point, he's just an arse.

Was described as a "sanctimonious dwarf cuckold" by someone once.

I forgot the story about his wife cheating on him with his cousin, if his personal life is that much of a car crash maybe his behaviour in the chair is a reaction to it. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3157608/amp/I-ll-straying-Sally-one-chance-says-John-Bercow-Speaker-wife-affair-cousin-friends-say-does-marriage-toast.html

Edited by MattP

I’m pleased for all you remainers that Bercow is finally upholding parliamentary precedent. I just hope you were right all along, that the EU were never bothered about no deal, because they certainly seem pissed off with you boys. I’d die laughing if they vetoed the extension and we crashed out now. I wonder who you’d all blame. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oxford blue said:

The reason why Bercow is subject to so much criticism (putting aside the allegations of bullying) is that he is not perceived as impartial, which is what a Speaker should be. Whist the decision today was entirely expected, his decisions previously do seem to favour the MP's in the Remain camp as was argued in this article from 6 weeksa go:

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/09/john-bercow-and-the-abandoning-of-the-speakers-impartiality/

Not sure I entirely agree.

The speakers role has traditionally not so much to be impartial, as to make sure that the minority representatives are given a fair voice and are not bulldozed by the majority. A hugely important parliamentary position.

This twat has taken it upon himself to suppress the minority (leave) MP's voice to further his own (Remain) viewpoint. 

Parliamentary VAR      

45 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I’m pleased for all you remainers that Bercow is finally upholding parliamentary precedent. I just hope you were right all along, that the EU were never bothered about no deal, because they certainly seem pissed off with you boys. I’d die laughing if they vetoed the extension and we crashed out now. I wonder who you’d all blame. 

Trump. 

2 hours ago, Salisbury Fox said:

I’m not sure clueless is the word I would use looking at the polls.  Of course they knew he wasn’t going to allow it.

I do wonder where they drum up these poll figures from.

We've got our esteemed brexit secretary Barclay not knowing what is in his bill today contradicting himself in his meeting.  Clueless.

We've got our esteemed chancellor not giving any analysis of the financial implications of this bill as the positives outweigh the negatives apparently.  That's ok then, we'll take your word for it.  Clueless.

Oh and let's dish this all out and have it through by Thursday in time for tea - Rees Smug.  Clueless.

There's not a chance this goes through.  Johnson will pull the plug.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

That's correct that a 2/3 majority is required if BJ calls for an early election. He has at least a couple of other routes, but they're complicated....

- A no-confidence vote would only require a simple majority. The opposition parties have opted not to table one recently, though Labour - or SNP - might do so before long. Maybe BJ could call a no-confidence vote in himself, but would look odd!

- He could resign as PM (but not as Tory party leader)

In both those cases, there'd then be a 14-day period during which Parliament would see whether someone else (Hunt? Clarke? Corbyn? Beckett?) could form a govt.....seems unlikely, but would be a massive risk for BJ to take.

In either case, if no alternative govt was approved within 14 days, then there would be an election.

I believe the government could also move a “not withstanding” motion, which basically ignores the fixed term parliament act to call an election and only requires a simple majority, but this could then be amended to add conditions such as “after a referendum”, or “after an extension”, etc, which is why they haven’t yet done so.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

I do wonder where they drum up these poll figures from.

We've got our esteemed brexit secretary Barclay not knowing what is in his bill today contradicting himself in his meeting.  Clueless.

We've got our esteemed chancellor not giving any analysis of the financial implications of this bill as the positives outweigh the negatives apparently.  That's ok then, we'll take your word for it.  Clueless.

Oh and let's dish this all out and have it through by Thursday in time for tea - Rees Smug.  Clueless.

There's not a chance this goes through.  Johnson will pull the plug.

If he does it’ll be to win an election comfortably, then we’ll be back in a couple of months.  More uncertainty, more money to the EU, more time wasted.  Pointless.

8 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

I believe the government could also move a “not withstanding” motion, which basically ignores the fixed term parliament act to call an election and only requires a simple majority, but this could then be amended to add conditions such as “after a referendum”, or “after an extension”, etc, which is why they haven’t yet done so.

They could defeat said amendments if they had a majority though.  The fact is MPs looking after  their own backsides won’t vote for a GE facing deselection or impending defeat.

Edited by Jon the Hat
  • Like 1