Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Paninistickers

Rugby League

I now don't mind who the other finalist is. Wigan would make it a good local Derby, but Hull kr would make it a good change for the sport to avoid a 'top' club in the final.

I'll not be going this year with Fev not making the 1895 final.

8 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

Good news for all four clubs appearing there but can already hear the doomsayers groaning about a poor Wembley attendance 

Usually the case but they won't ever be stopped. The final changes date most years and is back in August school holidays this year.

Last year was a change of venue and on the May Bank Holiday. Didn't help that Huddersfield got there last year who are not too well supported. Huddersfield Town also got to Wembley for the play offs the same weekend so people went to that instead who I know.

• 1 month later...
On 18/02/2023 at 01:05, Heathrow fox said:

Ullberg has had a great start to the season.I like Bienek he’s a beast.I would love Featherstone to go up and stay there.So good luck for the season.Keep us updated with who impresses you along the way.

Just seen that Sheffield beat Batley 36 nil.Kin hell,their next up after the weekend.

Big game for London this weekend, hopefully they get the win!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, slymunn said:

I was planning on popping down on Sunday ... admittedly as much to tick off Wimbledon's ground ... but looks like engineering works on the trains in that area, and bus only service.    

Not sure I fancy a long tube journey in its place, so might try another match.

Big games tonight in the Super League tonight, top and bottom.   

I'm hoping Wakefield can pull off a surprise win v Catalans.   Lose that, and if Castleford win, then it's just about curtains for The Trin.   :(

1 hour ago, worth_the_wait said:

I was planning on popping down on Sunday ... admittedly as much to tick off Wimbledon's ground ... but looks like engineering works on the trains in that area, and bus only service.    

I'm hoping Wakefield can pull off a surprise win v Catalans.   Lose that, and if Castleford win, then it's just about curtains for The Trin.   :(

It's going to be tough for Wakey. Can't see Cas winning again this season so it's just if Wakey can get a win now.

8 hours ago, slymunn said:

Yes.Widnes Bradford and Keighley to come.All at Plough Lane.Still happy that relegation wasn’t an issue.The coach has done wonders in 14 months.Playoff’s would be real bonus.

In the likely event London don’t get to the final,I would like to see a Featherstone Bradford final.

6 hours ago, worth_the_wait said:

I would thoroughly recommend Plough Lane.Easily my favourite new ground.Wimbledon should be very proud.

6 hours ago, Heathrow fox said:

Yes.Widnes Bradford and Keighley to come.All at Plough Lane.Still happy that relegation wasn’t an issue.The coach has done wonders in 14 months.Playoff’s would be real bonus.

In the likely event London don’t get to the final,I would like to see a Featherstone Bradford final.

I'd love that. Just don't want to play Toulouse as we don't tend to do well against us. 

Home advantage is massive against Bradford with the pitch size issue they have.

London should beat Keighley so one win in the other two should be enough?

9 hours ago, Lionator said:

Saints have been horrendous this year yet are probably favourites to win the thing. It’s a bit sad really. 

They just always do enough don't they! I'm not too fussed who wins it really but Catalans would be a good change for the sport. Good to see a new name on the trophy.

16 hours ago, worth_the_wait said:

I had a feeling Cas would beat Hull (who effectively had nothing to play for).

Miracle needed for the Trin now.   Can't see it happening ...................

• Sad 1

On 12/09/2023 at 22:18, Tielemans63 said:

I've said it before, if you've got Sky and can watch the NRL games, that's a different level to the Super League. Aussie RL is great to watch. The playoffs have just started and there were some incredible games last weekend.

I haven't got Sky, and only get to see Super League highlights ... so I can't comment on why it's "a different level".

All I can say is that some of the games that have been on terrestrial TV this summer, have been absolute humdingers:

Leigh v St Helens  and Hull KR v Wigan (semi finals) and Leigh v Hull KR (final)

I find it hard to believe that anything gets more exciting than those 3 games.

I know what you mean about the NRL as the players are overall a standard above the SL. Some of the skill is just something else. There's just more so much money involved in the NRL that they can attract and keep the best players...and why we lose a lot of the better ones to it.

The problem with that at times is that the games are too much going through the motions, because they are just waiting for a mistake. High % set completion and low % errors. Doesn't feel like that watching the match, but you know it's happening. 

SL is a little bit more off the cuff and a few more errors. Adds to the excitement at times but can also make some terrible games!

The NRL has a much higher turnover (and profile) than the SL.   But it is worth remembering, we're not comparing like with like here.

NRL is based mainly in sexy/sunny places with massive populations like Sydney: 5.3 million, Melbourne: 5 million, Brisbane: 2.6 million, Auckland: 1.4 million, Canberra: 500,000.

SL is mainly based mostly in (slightly less than sexy) ex-industrial North England in towns with populations such as Wigan: 108.000, St Helens: 103,000, Warrington: 165,000 ... and pretty much ignored by most of the National media.

I realise that the likes of Sydney have several teams, but you're still in a different order of magnitude re money, catchment, publicity etc)

13 hours ago, worth_the_wait said:

The NRL has a much higher turnover (and profile) than the SL.   But it is worth remembering, we're not comparing like with like here.

NRL is based mainly in sexy/sunny places with massive populations like Sydney: 5.3 million, Melbourne: 5 million, Brisbane: 2.6 million, Auckland: 1.4 million, Canberra: 500,000.

SL is mainly based mostly in (slightly less than sexy) ex-industrial North England in towns with populations such as Wigan: 108.000, St Helens: 103,000, Warrington: 165,000 ... and pretty much ignored by most of the National media.

I realise that the likes of Sydney have several teams, but you're still in a different order of magnitude re money, catchment, publicity etc)

It does. I believe the salary cap is three times the SL, going closer to ×4 in the next couple of years. Just look at the stadiums they use for the matches..The suncorp is one of the best stadiums I've ever watched a match live in, whereas the best super league stadiums are average football grounds.

Thats the joys of marketing the sport abit as well. Rfl have just accepted the new sky deal which is 5 million less than the last one...whilst the NRL has its own channel and creates publicity within the cities. Sl have tried to put the bigger cities into the league, adding teams from other countries..but while they don't really promote the sport great its not going to grow.

I like the coverage on channel 4 they have for SL but there is no money involved, only more exposure for now.

Edited by slymunn

• 4 weeks later...