Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Paninistickers

Rugby League

6 hours ago, slymunn said:

I'm not a betting man but guessing they will be decent odds to win tomorrow.

Yeah worth a couple of quid I’d imagine. Wouldn’t write Leeds off in a final. 

I’m going myself, never been to the grand final before. Hard to believe that this Leeds team is the same one that started the season. They’ve had some resurgence. Saints have tanked them both meetings this season though so will be a big effort to win tomorrow. 

2 minutes ago, Manini said:

Yeah worth a couple of quid I’d imagine. Wouldn’t write Leeds off in a final. 

I’m going myself, never been to the grand final before. Hard to believe that this Leeds team is the same one that started the season. They’ve had some resurgence. Saints have tanked them both meetings this season though so will be a big effort to win tomorrow. 

Rohan Smith coaching and Zak Hardaker coming back has really changed the dynamic of the team. I'm happy for leeds as I like them as a club. Just seemed to of cut out silly mistakes and keeping it simple.

I'm unable to go this year as I've become a dad a couple of months back. Usually go to the grand final and either Magic/Summer bash. It is a good day out and Manchester is good for a drink beforehand.

Can't see St Helens losing this one but I follow the Rhinos having lived in Leeds for 5 years so really hoping they can sneak it. Real shame for Leeds that Aidan Sezer is out after John Bateman almost decapitated him in the semi final, he's a really consistent player.

Saints by 12 I think.

On 23/09/2022 at 22:00, Tielemans63 said:

Saints by 12 I think.

Did you put the lottery on last night? 

Saints looked the better side, to be expected as league leaders. Think the common consensus amongst Rhinos fans was to just enjoy the day out, certainly didn’t hear many complaints over the score line. It’s a shame Leeds didn’t seem to want to have a go and try anything different until the last 15 minutes. Spent the majority of the game just trying to hammer it up the middle and then up and under on the 6th tackle giving the ball back.

Next season will be interesting. 

On 25/09/2022 at 16:51, slymunn said:

My team Fev are struggling in the championship semi final at the minute.

Although if they win today they wouldn't beat leigh in the final.

Just seen you were pipped by Batley. Surely they don’t have the facilities for the Super League? Their ground is about a mile from me (there’s about 10 grounds within a 5 mile radius lol) and it’s not upto much is it. 

What would they do if they won the final? 

1 hour ago, Leeds Fox said:

Just seen you were pipped by Batley. Surely they don’t have the facilities for the Super League? Their ground is about a mile from me (there’s about 10 grounds within a 5 mile radius lol) and it’s not upto much is it. 

What would they do if they won the final? 

They don't but they will get around it as the RFL always seem relaxed about it. It will just be some new floodlights and jobs a good one! Wakey and Cas ground as also just as terrible but good enough for the super league.

Batley have had a cracking season but I can't see past Leigh. They have a mid table super league team as it is.

I'm the same with the amount of Stadiums close to me! Half the rugby league clubs must be within 30 minutes of me 

10 hours ago, slymunn said:

They don't but they will get around it as the RFL always seem relaxed about it. It will just be some new floodlights and jobs a good one! Wakey and Cas ground as also just as terrible but good enough for the super league.

Batley have had a cracking season but I can't see past Leigh. They have a mid table super league team as it is.

I'm the same with the amount of Stadiums close to me! Half the rugby league clubs must be within 30 minutes of me 

Where abouts are you mate? You can’t be that far off me.

Edit - Ignore, just seen it’s Ponte. Hope you don’t have the accent :ph34r:

Edited by Leeds Fox

1 hour ago, Leeds Fox said:

Where abouts are you mate? You can’t be that far off me.

Edit - Ignore, just seen it’s Ponte. Hope you don’t have the accent :ph34r:

Haha. My accents not as bad as most 😂 I'm from Bridlington but have spent a fair bit of time in Leicester with watching matches over the last 30 years! So its a bit of a hybrid if i do say so haha

• Haha 1

I see again "only" football supporters,trying to fathom their way through other sports....decrying one discipline for the other...

Sport is sport...leave it at that..!

Individuals finding their various niches.

Because you are a football fan,doesn't put you on any higher plain..How can you have balanced opinion if you can't respect other people's pastime...just because ones lack of knowledge or interest...!!

17 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

I see again "only" football supporters,trying to fathom their way through other sports....decrying one discipline for the other...

Sport is sport...leave it at that..!

Individuals finding their various niches.

Because you are a football fan,doesn't put you on any higher plain..How can you have balanced opinion if you can't respect other people's pastime...just because ones lack of knowledge or interest...!!

I'm not 'only' a football fan if this is about everyone on this thread 😀 My first Featherstone Rovers game was in the 1995 season, one year after my first Leicester match. 

I'd first posted on here looking to see if others had an interest in RL for a different conversation to the usual one's I have about it.

Just now, Aus Fox said:

It’s such a shame, I was really hoping for a close game. Penrith just far too good.

Yeah, I thought it would be closer than this. Penrith have been ultra-aggressive. Some curious decisions from the bunker, not that that would make a huge difference. I thought the 4th try was definitely obstruction from Kikau.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tielemans63 said:

Yeah, I thought it would be closer than this. Penrith have been ultra-aggressive. Some curious decisions from the bunker, not that that would make a huge difference. I thought the 4th try was definitely obstruction from Kikau.

Based on the games I’ve watched this year, (I’m not the biggest fan, but usually watch the Sunday afternoon games) I was certain that would be ruled out when I saw the reply. 
It is the one thing that stops me watching more, a bit like VAR in the premier league, the bunker is so inconsistent and I’ve given up trying to call it before the final call is made.

• Like 1

Going to nz v Jamaica in Hull as have free tickets and never been to Hull. I’m not a big Rugby league fan but have been to the 2013 world cup semi double header at Wembley and most of the England internationals in London with a friend from Workington who is into the sport. It’s quite enjoyable 

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

Loving the Tonga - Wales match.

Growing up in the US when cable sports showed foreign fare, I learned to love League, since they piped in NRL games. (In fact, didn't realize it wasn't "rugby" for years.)

Unlike Union, I actually know what is going on.

I'm surprised Wales aren't better at Rugby League seeing as Rugby is so popular there.

It was such a shame that Tonga try wasn't given!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/rugby-league/63380983

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

I'm surprised Wales aren't better at Rugby League seeing as Rugby is so popular there.

It was such a shame that Tonga try wasn't given!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/rugby-league/63380983

One of the reasons I love the Rugby League World Cup is how well the smaller Pacific nations perform against much larger nations.

The economics and culture of Rugby (both Union and League) mystify me. Players often make more money in League 2 than the Super League. Given the compatibility of certain roles/positions, I'd get gridiron players from the US (where it is NFL or bust) and see if you could counter program the PL on one of the US networks for Saturday mornings (U.S. time). I seriously think Rugby League would be more popular with general viewers in the U.S. than "soccer."

I watched a documentary on BBC 2 about Clive Sullivan that touched on the Wales lack of interest in League.

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/10/2022 at 08:37, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

One of the reasons I love the Rugby League World Cup is how well the smaller Pacific nations perform against much larger nations.

The economics and culture of Rugby (both Union and League) mystify me. Players often make more money in League 2 than the Super League. Given the compatibility of certain roles/positions, I'd get gridiron players from the US (where it is NFL or bust) and see if you could counter program the PL on one of the US networks for Saturday mornings (U.S. time). I seriously think Rugby League would be more popular with general viewers in the U.S. than "soccer."

I watched a documentary on BBC 2 about Clive Sullivan that touched on the Wales lack of interest in League.

Apologies for maybe not understanding US terminology here… are you suggesting training non-NFL players to play RL? 

Edited by Leeds Fox

On 25/10/2022 at 08:37, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

Rugby league has no chance on surpassing soccer in the states, soccer is booming and has already overtaken ice hockey in popularity and has baseball in its sights.

4 hours ago, Leeds Fox said:

Apologies for maybe not understanding US terminology here… are you suggesting training non-NFL players to play RL? 

Yes, basically. When Union went pro, a couple of U.S. players switched codes, as it were. Some gridiron positions (RB especially) are suited. I am not saying an entre team's worth, but enough to get more curiosity in the U.S.

3 hours ago, purpleronnie said:

Rugby league has no chance on surpassing soccer in the states, soccer is booming and has already overtaken ice hockey in popularity and has baseball in its sights.

Ice Hockey is very regional. So that skews the overall popularity numbers. Soccer is weird in its demographics: Very popular among Hispanics and upper-middle class suburban whites, less so everyone else. However, American football is insanely popular -- and Rugby League is a similar game, and easier to understand than Union. I seriously think that if it were used at counter programming on Saturday mornings in the U.S., it would gain in popularity (especially given it would be super cheap for a network compared to the latest Premier League package.)

Admittedly, I haven't lived in the U.S. in 20 years, so am speaking a bit out of my rear end.