Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Paninistickers

Rugby League

• 2 years later...

Refresh this post from the past to avoid starting a new thread, an amazing gme of State of Origin taking place this evening. This game has got absolutely everything.

Game  3, tied at 1-1, played off injured in the first minute, punches thrown, players in the in bin, both teams giving absolutely everything. 
If you get the opportunity after work today give it a watch… I won’t give the score away but it’s a cracker

• Like 1

Love it.I go to the New Plough Lane to see the London Broncos.My Dad used to watch Leeds when he lived up there.I remember when Grandstand used to show it on Saturday afternoons.It was the closest thing to football without being football.The crowd and grounds were the same.It was professional.There was a league with promotion and relegation.There was even transfer fees.Union had none of these things.

I wanted to start a thread about RL but was scared in a Leicester forum :ph34r: Hopefully the picture  avoids a RL vs RU 'discussion' haha.

I'm a Fev Rovers supporter but go to quite a few other matches. A family couple of family members are fairly high up at Leeds Rhinos so have an interest in them too.

Usually go to the Magic weekend, Summer bash and Grand finals as they are good cheap day out!

Are there many other people who have an interest? 

FB_IMG_1658037593957.jpg

Edited by slymunn
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lionator said:

It is good once you get into it. The passion and atmosphere at games in something Union could only dream of. 

Do enjoy watching super league on a Thursday night though Saints are absolutely ridiculous at the moment. 

Last week’s game at Magic v Warriors was superb. 

Bevan French scored 7 tries this weekend while Toulouse went level on points with Wakefield at the bottom 

24 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Last week’s game at Magic v Warriors was superb. 

Bevan French scored 7 tries this weekend while Toulouse went level on points with Wakefield at the bottom 

Saints are on another level at the minute, they are almost machine like. Doesn't matter who moves on each season as the next kid is up to the standard!

1 hour ago, Tielemans63 said:

I'd highly recommend watching the Australian NRL, miles better than the English Super League. Really entertaining 

The standard is better and so are the rules that are in place. It just feels like a better version on the sport.

They don't spend half the match focused on the referees too in Aus.

• Like 1

One of the sports I'll make an effort to watch if it's on. Did fancy doing a World Cup game but remember the prices not looking to good when I skimmed them?

Problem is there's such a disparity in quality that most of the tournament is pointless anyway sadly.

On 17/07/2022 at 06:59, slymunn said:

I wanted to start a thread about RL but was scared in a Leicester forum :ph34r: Hopefully the picture  avoids a RL vs RU 'discussion' haha.

I'm a Fev Rovers supporter but go to quite a few other matches. A family couple of family members are fairly high up at Leeds Rhinos so have an interest in them too.

Usually go to the Magic weekend, Summer bash and Grand finals as they are good cheap day out!

Are there many other people who have an interest? 

FB_IMG_1658037593957.jpg

I'm round the corner from Rhinos at the moment in Kirkstall mate, think I'll be tempted into going at some point - worth going?

7 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

I'm round the corner from Rhinos at the moment in Kirkstall mate, think I'll be tempted into going at some point - worth going?

I personally would but I've grown up with the sport living in Rugby league area. It's usually what I do in the summer and when Leicester are away.

I'd watch a few matches and see if you enjoy it. I prefer it to union as it's just a quicker game. Less on territory and more on scoring tries to win the games. 

Leeds Rhinos tend to have a decent atmosphere and can usually find ticket offers for certain matches. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

One of the sports I'll make an effort to watch if it's on. Did fancy doing a World Cup game but remember the prices not looking to good when I skimmed them?

Problem is there's such a disparity in quality that most of the tournament is pointless anyway sadly.

Depends what matches you are wanting to go to. There's quite a few matches with adult tickets for £10 and kids start from a couple of quid.

It's always being the same with the RL world cups. There's about 6 big teams but only 3 maybe 4 with a chance of winning it.

I went to the world cup 2008 in Aus and we booked tickets for the semi final in Brisbane knowing England would get that far.. they did and lost!

Edited by slymunn

8 hours ago, Tielemans63 said:

I'd highly recommend watching the Australian NRL, miles better than the English Super League. Really entertaining 

I dunno. Sometimes I find the NRL almost too perfect. Bit like how the PL can be at times. 

1 hour ago, Voll Blau said:

the prices are a bit high IMO but it’s an event that badly needs the money. 

This year’s edition will probably be the most competitive ever. A lot of the Pacific Islanders are electing to play for their origin countries rather than the Aussies. Tonga have improved hell of a lot and Samoa look to have got themselves sorted. 

Things took a twist this week as an Aussie whom was in the NSW squad has announced he’s ready to play for England. That will strip him of his right to play Origin but he would be exciting addition and in the action, I don’t think his commitment can be questioned. 

8 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I dunno. Sometimes I find the NRL almost too perfect. Bit like how the PL can be at times. 

the prices are a bit high IMO but it’s an event that badly needs the money. 

This year’s edition will probably be the most competitive ever. A lot of the are electing to play for their origin countries rather than the Aussies. Tonga have improved hell of a lot and Samoa look to have got themselves sorted. 

Things took a twist this week as an Aussie whom was in the NSW squad has announced he’s ready to play for England. That will strip him of his right to play Origin but he would be exciting addition and in the action, I don’t think his commitment can be questioned. 

We get aussies most world cups announcing they will play for England. Its a shame that he plays the same position as Morgan Knowles as he's one of our better players. Then Bateman, Whitehead and Farrell in second row. Do struggle at times to see where he would fit in without getting capped before but would definitely improve the squad...probably take what was Sean O'Ls place as hes not really got replaced. We are too weak in the front row for me to win the WC.

The Pacific Islanders are all decent as outside bets but do come short usually when it gets to the quarter finals..one of them will get to the semi finals along with the usual Aus, NZ and England

37 minutes ago, slymunn said:

We get aussies most world cups announcing they will play for England. Its a shame that he plays the same position as Morgan Knowles as he's one of our better players. Then Bateman, Whitehead and Farrell in second row. Do struggle at times to see where he would fit in without getting capped before but would definitely improve the squad...probably take what was Sean O'Ls place as hes not really got replaced. We are too weak in the front row for me to win the WC.

The Pacific Islanders are all decent as outside bets but do come short usually when it gets to the quarter finals..one of them will get to the semi finals along with the usual Aus, NZ and England

Tonga were looking serious contenders before the lockdown. Beat all of the usual three in the last five years. 

Ahh I get that about Aussies switching over but it’s the first time I think of an Aussie throwing away his right to play Origin. Normally the Aussies switching are very, very average players. Missing Graham in the front row compared to the last WC as well 

12 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Tonga were looking serious contenders before the lockdown. Beat all of the usual three in the last five years. 

Ahh I get that about Aussies switching over but it’s the first time I think of an Aussie throwing away his right to play Origin. Normally the Aussies switching are very, very average players. Missing Graham in the front row compared to the last WC as well 

We get them in most world cups putting there hand up. Be interesting to see if Hastings is selected in the squad as I think he should be. Its the younger players in the Nrl like Farnworth and Walker I would be interested in joining up but are all backs. 

From the last world cup we have lost Roby, O'loughlan, Burgess, Graham. Then Hodgson is out. Its pretty much the core who I would of called leaders in the team.

Just think we are a little light to win it but would love to be proven wrong.

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

Leeds were superb last week - Saints beginning to falter and have Warmsley out. 

Leeds we’re 3/1 to win that game too. They always seem to do well against Wigan. Gutted I had a long day at work and completely forgot to back them.

*Disclaimer - I don’t even like Rugby League but it’s in your face around here.

7 hours ago, Leeds Fox said:

Leeds we’re 3/1 to win that game too. They always seem to do well against Wigan. Gutted I had a long day at work and completely forgot to back them.

*Disclaimer - I don’t even like Rugby League but it’s in your face around here.

Leeds have played Saints in 4 grand finals and won them all. I'm not a betting man but guessing they will be decent odds to win tomorrow.

I live fairly close to Leeds in the middle of half the rugby league teams. Its my second sport after football 😂