Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Paninistickers

Rugby League

33 minutes ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

Yes, basically. When Union went pro, a couple of U.S. players switched codes, as it were. Some gridiron positions (RB especially) are suited. I am not saying an entre team's worth, but enough to get more curiosity in the U.S.

Admittedly, I haven't lived in the U.S. in 20 years, so am speaking a bit out of my rear end.

It’s a valid point, wasn’t replying to disagree. I think to some extent it could work. It doesn’t look like it, but the game is very technical (not as much power/size dependent as it may look), although I’m sure NFL is also. 

Massive fitness required to make it at the top level of RL too, which again, may not always seem the case! 

2 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

It’s a valid point, wasn’t replying to disagree. I think to some extent it could work. It doesn’t look like it, but the game is very technical (not as much power/size dependent as it may look), although I’m sure NFL is also. 

Massive fitness required to make it at the top level of RL too, which again, may not always seem the case! 

College football players are super skilled and fit. The weird thing about U.S. sports is that there is no middle class. You are making millions are you are making a pittance. So for a lot of really good athletes, if they aren't good enough for the NFL, aren't gonna really make a living wage in the other basically semi-pro leagues. Believe it or not, Super League pays more, even if the wages aren't great.

49 minutes ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

College football players are super skilled and fit. The weird thing about U.S. sports is that there is no middle class. You are making millions are you are making a pittance. So for a lot of really good athletes, if they aren't good enough for the NFL, aren't gonna really make a living wage in the other basically semi-pro leagues. Believe it or not, Super League pays more, even if the wages aren't great.

From friends I know who play SL, salaries vary from £40k-100k. Spouses often employed on generous salaries by clubs. Not to be sniffed at if managed well, it can be a short career.

NFL players would be unbelievably out of their depth on defence - let alone needing to building their stamina to levels they don't need in NFL. 

I am surprised you haven't seen more GAA players quit their amateur status to transfer over to Rugby - League more adaptable than Union. 

On 04/11/2022 at 02:48, CosbehFox said:

NFL players would be unbelievably out of their depth on defence - let alone needing to building their stamina to levels they don't need in NFL. 

I am surprised you haven't seen more GAA players quit their amateur status to transfer over to Rugby - League more adaptable than Union. 

The GAA players often come over here and try there hands at AFL, with mixed success, but the opportunity is there to make a lot more money than they do in Ireland. 
PreCovid there was an annual GAA v AFL game played each year with hybrid rules. It was always a great game, the Rules maybe suited the GAA players more, but the professional nature of AFL led most to have superior fitness.

Just a shout for the wheelchair event if anyone hasn't seen it yet.  I used to vaguely assume it was like the so-called "wheelchair rugby", which is hardly rugby at all; but "wheelchair rugby league" is basically the same rules as running rugby league with a minimum of tweaks to allow for all participants, disabled or not, being in wheelchairs.  Five a side, tackling is by tag rather than bringing the man to the ground (though that does happen), and kicks are done by the clenched fist or wrist.  Otherwise, it's the same game with 6 tackles, tries scored by touching down, offside, and so forth.  80 minute games too.  These lads (and lasses - at least one woman is playing) are fit.

Australia v New Zealand tonight.

Narrow win for the Aussies, but what a game.   One of the best Rugby League matches I've seen  ... had everything ...  power, physicality, speed, skill, great tries.

If I ever give up football completely, I'm gonna stick a pin in an atlas and start supporting someone like Wakefield Trinity or Featherstone Rovers.

ok, I realise our domestic clubs aren't going to quite as good as World Cu top teams ... but I'm really starting to get into the sport.

15 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Two ridiculously good semi finals and the women's Union final this morning was absurdly good too. 

Absolutely.   Probably the most exciting pair of semi finals I've ever watched. 

Obviously gutted for England ... we just made too many basic mistakes, but it was a thrilling match.   So good, I didn't even bother to follow the City's progress at West Ham until 20 minutes after the final whistle.

• Like 1

First time I've watched a wheelchair rugby game and I bloody loved it. It helped that England won but it was super exciting all the way through. Some of the athleticism on show was amazing, especially with the last England try and the huge grey-haired French player who scored at some point in the second half too.

That French ref was really unprofessional. The commentators said he was the one who also denied England a legit try as well as, in a different incident, awarding a penalty to France for a double tap on the ground that didn't happen. Mistakes happen but suspicions will always be raised with that kind of behaviour, gesticulating from the sidelines and chucking his flag away after France scored from a kick.

Edited by ALC Fox

21 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

That HT moment with Kevin Sinfield was quite emotional, what a man!

70,000 people giving him a standing ovation was incredible.

Can't get my head around 7 ultra marathons in 7 days, he looked like he could hardly walk bless him.

I know people joke about 'Sir' Kevin but it'll be a disgrace if he doesn't get knighted for his charity work (and his career)

• Like 2