Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Milo

Ethernet cable

Hi all,

Now, I don't consider myself to be particularly thick, but...

I had no idea that ethernet cables had such an impact on download speed. This was particularly apparent when recently trying to download Modern Warfare, and it took about 2 days. I couldn't understand why the download speed was so slow, when the broadband speed coming into the house was quick.

You may already be aware of this, of course, and it was just me that was in blissful ignorance.  

I've just replaced all my 10 year old found-in-a-drawer ethernet cables for Cat8 cables and now get lightning fast download speeds.

Posting this in case you were like me and didn't realise that those little cables could play such an integral part.

Oh, and :facepalm: for it taking me years to learn this. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Always go Ethernet over Wireless.

The amount of times our users ring and haven't got an Ethernet plugged in.

Not easy if they’re 3 rooms apart though

2 hours ago, Milo said:

Hi all,

I had no idea that ethernet cables had such an impact on download speed. This was particularly apparent when recently trying to download Modern Warfare, and it took about 2 days. I couldn't understand why the download speed was so slow, when the broadband speed coming into the house was quick.

You may already be aware of this, of course, and it was just me that was in blissful ignorance.  

I've just replaced all my 10 year old found-in-a-drawer ethernet cables for Cat8 cables and now get lightning fast download speeds.

Posting this in case you were like me and didn't realise that those little cables could play such an integral part.

Well I do consider myself to be particularly thick mate :D

Does this Ethernet cable plug directly from the wi-fi box/router into your PC/Laptop? (I can't see a port on my laptop apart from USB/HDMI though :dunno:)

My laptop is quite near my wi-fi box but the download speed is still shite as we live out in the sticks with no fibre. 

Haha. 

I use power line adapters - they plug into a normal wall socket and you attach an Ethernet cable from the plug to your computer. In my case that’s the kids pc, the wife’s desktop and my desktop. 

Changing those cables was something I hadn’t thought about doing before, but it’s made a ridiculous difference. 

Don’t have a laptop! But the Ethernet port is the one that looks a bit like the socket that your home phone plugs in to. 

You’re not exactly out in the sticks, mate!!! lol

Edited by Milo
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Does this Ethernet cable plug directly from the wi-fi box/router into your PC/Laptop? (I can't see a port on my laptop apart from USB/HDMI though :dunno:)

My laptop is quite near my wi-fi box but the download speed is still shite as we live out in the sticks with no fibre. 

If you don`t know you don`t know, it doesn`t mean you are thick, 

Yes the Ethernet lead plugs into the router and into the device you are using, not to sure about Laptops but would of thought so..

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Izzy said:

Not all laptops will have one, especially if they are quite thin. Maybe you can buy an adapter to go into the HDMI or USB port? 

Edited by Wrighty22
yes you can, plenty of choices on Amazon
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Izzy said:

You would need a USB to ethernet adapter

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Wrighty22 said:

Not all laptops will have one, especially if they are quite thin. Maybe you can buy an adapter to go into the HDMI or USB port? 

1 hour ago, DB11 said:

You would need a USB to ethernet adapter

Thanks fella's :thumbup:

Yeah there's defo no Ethernet port on my laptop so good to know I can get an adapter. I'll order off Amazon and hopefully job done.

Cheers

On 03/01/2020 at 19:01, Milo said:

Hi all,

Can you het higher quality adsl cables too? I ordered some cat8 Ethernet cables after reading this post, they arrived today. But the cable going from the wall to the modem is adsl, I don’t know if that’s the case all the time, but I’m just using the one that came with the modem, so just wondering if there are better quality ones on the market and if they’re categorised like Ethernet cables are. 

14 minutes ago, stix said:

Can you het higher quality adsl cables too? I ordered some cat8 Ethernet cables after reading this post, they arrived today. But the cable going from the wall to the modem is adsl, I don’t know if that’s the case all the time, but I’m just using the one that came with the modem, so just wondering if there are better quality ones on the market and if they’re categorised like Ethernet cables are. 

Good question.

No idea! 

Sorry - I don't have any experience with ADSL. One of the clever bods on here should be able to help, though.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/01/2020 at 21:44, Milo said:

Haha. 

I use power line adapters - they plug into a normal wall socket and you attach an Ethernet cable from the plug to your computer. In my case that’s the kids pc, the wife’s desktop and my desktop. 

Changing those cables was something I hadn’t thought about doing before, but it’s made a ridiculous difference. 

Don’t have a laptop! But the Ethernet port is the one that looks a bit like the socket that your home phone plugs in to. 

You’re not exactly out in the sticks, mate!!! lol

So the speed isn't throttled by the power line but is by an older ethernet? Might have to look into this if that's the case. 

1 hour ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

So the speed isn't throttled by the power line but is by an older ethernet? Might have to look into this if that's the case. 

Made a big difference for me - I was never quite sure why all the speed tests were fine but the actual download speed was poor. Hadn’t even considered ethernet cable could be the reason. 

Do a quick google Cat 8 Ethernet search.