Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
An Away Move

BBC / Blue Peter Archive

4 hours ago, SydenhamFox said:

This surely has been posted before, but couldn’t find it so,

Bring back memories?!

Who’d have thought we were state of the art even in 1972 (year I was born!)?

Thanks for sharing!

I can't get my head around the fact that this was almost 50 years ago!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Uncle Monty said:

This has to be around the same time as the "Ice Kings" team? 

Nice little video that, a good break from the doom and gloom. Thanks for posting.

About 10 years after the Ice Kings, so no, not the same time.

I remember this Blue Peter episode very well. I was about 10 years old.

It was exciting stuff at the time. But despite what Peter Purves said it was a real expensive flop. The tent was constantly getting ripped and eventually it was binned. (big bin needed)

Leicester City were featured on Blue Peter again soon after when John Noakes *(I think) had a training session with Peter Shilton at Belvoir Drive**.

edit : *John Noakes and Peter Purves....here it is  https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/history/shilts-puts-childrens-tv-presenters-2926699

** not at Belvoir Drive as it happens.

Edited by ultrafox
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, urban fox said:

I remember the "tent" being something of an innovation at the time. before the days of undersoil heated pitches

When the bad winter weather set in we were almost guaranteed to be on tv as the ‘tent’ ensured that the pitch was playable. Wasn’t such a great idea when we lost 6-2 to Birmingham though

8 hours ago, SydenhamFox said:

This surely has been posted before, but couldn’t find it so,

Bring back memories?!

Who’d have thought we were state of the art even in 1972 (year I was born!)?

Nostalgia personified my lad said what was Blue Peter ?

Even then it showed how much we were ahead of others in Technology, wasn’t we also one of the first to install under soil heating too?

• Like 1

Also in 1973.... Old England vs Rest of Europe with a host of star veterans including ..Ferenc Puskas

I wrote an article about this for The Fox many moons ago...and just found an old posting of my article .....for those who like a little nostalgia.

https://www.xtratime.org/threads/when-puskas-came-to-filbert-street-1973.120135/#post-1743551

Edited by ultrafox
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ultrafox said:

Also in 1973.... Old England vs Rest of Europe with a host of star veterans including ..Ferenc Puskas

I wrote an article about this for The Fox many moons ago...and just found an old posting of my article .....for those who like a little nostalgia.

https://www.xtratime.org/threads/when-puskas-came-to-filbert-street-1973.120135/#post-1743551

I remember this game. Puskas must have been well into his forties but was still brilliant, if somewhat slow.

24 minutes ago, boots60 said:

and Ipswich v Leeds (packed Filbert Street) & Grimsby v Southampton (Not so packed!)

I went to that Grimsby/Saints match for some reason that completely eludes me now.

Remember the City fans who were there (not a vast amount I suppose, but still a fair few) started off supporting Grimsby, but got dogs abuse from the Mariners' fans so switched allegiance to S/ton. Think they won - not sure. The Saints that is.

Also remember a fairly serious tear-up between the Arsenal & Wednesday fans when they were in town.

Weirdest one was an international U23 game between England & Bulgaria. It was cold and so foggy you couldn't see the penalty spot from the Kop. Remember thinking sod this and went home - the only time I left Filbert Street early.

Also got a feeling Joe Waters (of blesséd memory) was in that Grimsby team. Man, it feels like several lifetimes ago.

Incidentally remember an 'ITFC' scrawled (in paint) on one of the walls of the Kop (from the Leeds replay). Was there for years. Always irritated me. Though graffiti on football grounds' walls is another 20th Century phenomenon  - now almost extinct - that I kind of miss.

11 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

Also got a feeling Joe Waters (of blesséd memory) was in that Grimsby team. Man, it feels like several lifetimes ago.

Incidentally remember an 'ITFC' scrawled (in paint) on one of the walls of the Kop (from the Leeds replay). Was there for years. Always irritated me. Though graffiti on football grounds' walls is another 20th Century phenomenon  - now almost extinct - that I kind of miss.

Just looked it up. Match took place in January 1978. Saints won 4-1. Attendance was 11,000

8 minutes ago, 49er said:

Just looked it up. Match took place in January 1978. Saints won 4-1. Attendance was 11,000

Thanks. Yes - remember the score now you say it. From memory the Grimsby fans were mostly down the Filbert St end (in the corner of the Pop Side where away fans used to go). Pretty sure now Joe was playing for them. 

42 years ago. Hard to credit.

18 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

Thanks. Yes - remember the score now you say it. From memory the Grimsby fans were mostly down the Filbert St end (in the corner of the Pop Side where away fans used to go). Pretty sure now Joe was playing for them. 

42 years ago. Hard to credit.

Looks like Malcolm Partridge May have also played for Grimsby. One of my all time favourite moments were Jo Waters’ goals against QPR

4 minutes ago, 49er said:

Looks like Malcolm Partridge May have also played for Grimsby. One of my all time favourite moments were Jo Waters’ goals against QPR

Me too - went to that one with my flat mate who was a QPR fan. Was supposed to be staying round his folks' place in London that night. He got mardy and disappeared after the match and I'd no idea of the address...

Spent an interesting evening in the West End finding an alternative place to sleep (that's another story).

Met up the next day and hitched back to Weymouth (where we lived at the time). Took 2 days to get home (and for him to get over it).

Can't beat the 70s!