Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigWesMorgan

Aston Villa post match thread 2-1

25 minutes ago, FoxyJim1987 said:

Mate their keeper made 3 World class saves in the first 30 mins and we had a blatant peno not given. On another day that's us won the game by half time. Then the first leg aswell we completely dominated and they scored with about their only attack. Yes we could have defended the goals they scored better, but we should have scored 2 or 3 in each leg rendering their goals meaningless. We were the better team clearly and were unlucky, 

Could feel it wasn't our day when Targett made a tackle and instead of going out for a corner, it hits the corner flag and stays in

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, FoxyJim1987 said:

Yeah I remember that, it just wasn't meant to be. Maybe we are destined to win the FA cup instead... 

Watched the replay on sky yesterday evening ....that first half .......as you say, just wasn’t meant to be 

their goal........ the sequence of events that led to the break with ricochets etc and finally the grealish pass to target which comes off his left foot so bounces up to make the block for cags harder and enables him to strike down on the ball so it goes through Kasper ....... coupled with the nyland saves (who was poor against Man City but lev yashin twice against us) just said to me that it wasn’t meant to be .....

On 31/01/2020 at 07:05, FoxyJim1987 said:

Mate their keeper made 3 World class saves in the first 30 mins and we had a blatant peno not given. On another day that's us won the game by half time. Then the first leg aswell we completely dominated and they scored with about their only attack. Yes we could have defended the goals they scored better, but we should have scored 2 or 3 in each leg rendering their goals meaningless. We were the better team clearly and were unlucky, 

You can put that game down to pure ill fortune or you can look at the reasons why we lost it. One approach will lead to us making the same mistakes over and over, the other to addressing them. You're obviously all for the 'ill fortune' path. Personally, I'd prefer to accept that we didn't do enough, ask why that is, and try to rectify the problems.

You should look at the Spurs forums round about May 2016.

On 02/02/2020 at 01:58, inckley fox said:

You can put that game down to pure ill fortune or you can look at the reasons why we lost it. One approach will lead to us making the same mistakes over and over, the other to addressing them. You're obviously all for the 'ill fortune' path. Personally, I'd prefer to accept that we didn't do enough, ask why that is, and try to rectify the problems.

Look mate we have a young team with strengths and weaknesses, we have gone pretty far in both cups and are 3rd in the league. There's teams with far more problems than us. I'd rather people focus on the positives that we create chances and play good attacking football and are punching above our weight than make every defeat or poor result a crisis. 

On 02/02/2020 at 01:58, inckley fox said:

Yes... it wasn't one game but two.

We have had a painful lesson and must learn from it.  How do we set up to play a team that will try and disrupt us.  Do snowflake players have the right attitude prior to games? What are the mantras and tactics we should use?

We have to be aware of our biases and habits that might end up counting against us.   This result has lessons for team selection. . Tactics.. and psychology.  If we put it down to bad luck it will happen again.... and again

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 28/01/2020 at 21:39, Fox 4 Life said:

SPURSY

On 28/01/2020 at 21:39, TheUltimateWinner said:

Embarrassing from us tonight. 

Edit: okay maybe not embarrassing but our failure to win any high pressure game this season is infuriating 

On 28/01/2020 at 21:40, foxfanazer said:

Our league position is great but question marks must hang over Brendan in the big games

On 28/01/2020 at 21:40, frany104 said:

Losing to that shower. Brendan and big games just don’t mix. Bottle jobs

On 28/01/2020 at 21:40, Finnaldo said:

We’ve blew every big game this season without fail.

On 28/01/2020 at 21:41, Fox85 said:

We have 2 days to get some key players bought in or bye bye to top 4 as well.

We have looked crap for weeks now 

On 28/01/2020 at 21:41, Tanya said:

Absolutely. Weak. Bottlers.

Some players did well but the defence should have let in three. Remember Samatta's easy miss. We are weak at the back and spursy at the top 

Grealish should be in the England squad over Madders at this rate.

I will have a more even handed comment at some point but even though our title winners weren't pretty they were tough. Not like our current bottlers.

(Kelechi though!!!)

On 28/01/2020 at 21:42, MC Prussian said:

Attitude stank again in parts and Rodgers is again to blame for not being able to react quickly enough after going 1-0 down.

On 28/01/2020 at 21:46, EastAnglianFox said:

Look top 4 will always be the priority and I am still pretty calm, but their is without a doubt an issue with Rodgers and big game mentality

On 28/01/2020 at 21:47, coolhandfox said:

Better side over two legs, but you have to worry about the mental strength of this squad.

Not turned up in a in the big games time and time again.

Just reading back through this thread, these are comments from the first few pages, sound familiar? It was after this game that I was seriously worried about the mentality of our squad and their fight in big games when the pressures turned up. All of these comments (or similar ones) could easily have been posted in the Bournemouth post match thread. I can't think of a big game we've actually won this season, even Everton we bottled a 2-0 lead and scraped through on penalties. Add to that Rodgers doesn't seem to have a clue what to do in the high pressure games either, and its a seriously bad combo.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Just reading back through this thread, these are comments from the first few pages, sound familiar? It was after this game that I was seriously worried about the mentality of our squad and their fight in big games when the pressures turned up. All of these comments (or similar ones) could easily have been posted in the Bournemouth post match thread. I can't think of a big game we've actually won this season, even Everton we bottled a 2-0 lead and scraped through on penalties. Add to that Rodgers doesn't seem to have a clue what to do in the high pressure games either, and its a seriously bad combo.

Should've known after the pathetic 'efforts' against Man City & Liverpool too - say what you like about how good those two are but we couldn't have made it any easier for them. Ever since those two games I've known we're nothing special tbh.