Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigWesMorgan

Aston Villa post match thread 2-1

I am still very disappointed because I was quite sure that the Foxes would definitely go to Wembley. But if you can't beat AV in two games, you don't deserve to make it to the final. Playfully it was one of the better games of the last weeks. The biggest tactical mistake was that we left Grealish so much room. You have to step on his feet 5 times in the first 10 minutes, then he just cries and will avoid duels. But he was able to move almost without any resistance, almost like in a youth game, completely free moving.  Brendon Rodgers should have realized that, because Grealish is a brilliant technician, but I just have to attack him physically more...what a pity, I would have loved to travel to London

Can anyone one shed any light on the decision to swap Evans and Soyuncu position? Neither looked comfortable.

Its almost as if Rodgers wanted to play a sort of back 3, in which case Evans would need to be in the middle and Chilwell on the left, leaving Soyuncu on the right. Ricardo and Barnes then used as wingbacks. I’m not very good at seeing these things, but didn’t notice Chilwell playing as more of a CB.

Edit: I see this idea has already been floated in the Chilwell thread.

Edited by WigstonWanderer

18 hours ago, FoxyJim1987 said:

Villa had as many gilt edged chances? What 2 games were you watching. They had hardly any compared to us. 

I didn't say 'as many' at all! And it depends how you define gilt-edged as to whether Villa had their share of chances. If you take tap-ins, one-on-ones and decent opportunities in the box as 'gilt-edged', and exclude the twenty-five yard 'half-chances' where a bit of brilliance nearly creates something out of nothing, then you only need to look at the highlights to see that they had their moments. Not as many, no, but more than they might have expected. Especially considering the EPL experience in our line-up and the difference in league positions. If I were in the Leicester camp I certainly wouldn't be saying 'we did our bit, deserved the win, and little more than cruel fortune has deprived us.' My point remains - and it's a fairly self-evident one, considering we just lost outright, having won neither leg - that we didn't defend well as a team, didn't create enough quality chances, and didn't convert enough of the ones we had. 40 or 50 hopelessly fluffed half-chances, a bit of dodgy refereeing and glorious possession stats shouldn't disguise the fact either.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, filbertway said:

If Villa went down, I'd definitely be enquiring after Mings and Grealish. Could be pricey but those two would both improve us.

Mings would give us 3 good centre backs, he can also play left back.

Grealish, in for Perez. Instant upgrade. Perez then improves the bench.

No idea how much we'd be looking at though. I could imagine them costing £60-80 million for the pair.

Would like them both.. but im guessing at least 70 million for Mings and 90+ for Grealish

11 hours ago, NaijaFox said:

So best to forgo the IMMEDIATE danger?

Furthermore, Gray was so far away from Grealish that he could not conceivably have stopped the ball getting to Grealish if El-Mohammedy had taken that option.

I think any player in that situation would say - go on then, just lob a cross from there in rather than playing in their best player to get in behind or run towards the penalty area....... our defence should 100% deal with that cross ..... it’s not gray’s fault although if it hadn’t been grealish behind him, I suspect he would have made an attempt to split the two and put some pressure on EM to rush his delivery ....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, inckley fox said:

I didn't say 'as many' at all! And it depends how you define gilt-edged as to whether Villa had their share of chances. If you take tap-ins, one-on-ones and decent opportunities in the box as 'gilt-edged', and exclude the twenty-five yard 'half-chances' where a bit of brilliance nearly creates something out of nothing, then you only need to look at the highlights to see that they had their moments. Not as many, no, but more than they might have expected. Especially considering the EPL experience in our line-up and the difference in league positions. If I were in the Leicester camp I certainly wouldn't be saying 'we did our bit, deserved the win, and little more than cruel fortune has deprived us.' My point remains - and it's a fairly self-evident one, considering we just lost outright, having won neither leg - that we didn't defend well as a team, didn't create enough quality chances, and didn't convert enough of the ones we had. 40 or 50 hopelessly fluffed half-chances, a bit of dodgy refereeing and glorious possession stats shouldn't disguise the fact either.

Recalling the league game, we set up as a diamond, allowed their wing backs the freedom and said go on then, we will win a game of basketball. 

I expect we believed we would win an open game on Wednesday and on chances created and our conversion rate, we should have .... 

maybe we wanted a more open game where they didn’t play a low block 9 behind the ball .....

So in that context they will get chances and opportunities it we gambled that they would score less than us.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

He thinks he's way too clever for his own good.

He isn’t going to change though .... not here anyway. If he goes somewhere that you don’t need to do much then perhaps but he strikes me as being way too progressive to relax and allow things to just happen....

i, for one, am enjoying the ride and hope others can aswell. If we can get to where he wants us to be it will be worth it - but we may well not be able to and some won’t cope with the experience as it frustrates and on occasions, is ugly ....

15 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

Think that just for Grealish.

I'm really struggling to put a price on them, proven premier league players but could potentially be playing for a championship team. I suppose it depends how Villa's financial situation looks. If they're comfortable and won't need to sell then you'd probably be looking at close to £100 million for the pair

4 hours ago, filbertway said:

I'm really struggling to put a price on them, proven premier league players but could potentially be playing for a championship team. I suppose it depends how Villa's financial situation looks. If they're comfortable and won't need to sell then you'd probably be looking at close to £100 million for the pair

Would you sell Soyuncu and Maddison for £100m?

2 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Would you sell Soyuncu and Maddison for £100m?

Absolutely not. 

If Villa stayed up and the players were happy to stay playing for a team hoping to finish somewhere between 10-17th. Then we'd have to pay extortionate fees. 

The moment those players heads are turned or if they're in a division below. Villa's hand becomes significantly weaker. The price will start to become more reasonable.

That's why I'm saying it depends on Villa's situation. We're in a much stronger position, we're looking like playing in the Champions league next season and are comfortable financially.

"Meanwhile, Aston Villa defender Kortney Hause admitted his side resorted to "the dirty side of the game" to secure their place in the final.

"The game plan was not to give them any respect and go up against them and foul them," said Hause.

"As soon as they looked like they were going to break through, bring them down, break up the play.

"Being aggressive, getting in people's faces, breaking up the play and, as bad as it sounds, fouling people is part of the game. Against [Manchester] City, that's what you've got to do because they're a very good side."

I hope whoever refs the final has read this. What a lovely side Villa are, such a sad loss to the Premier League if they are relegated.

6 minutes ago, trabuch said:

"Meanwhile, Aston Villa defender Kortney Hause admitted his side resorted to "the dirty side of the game" to secure their place in the final.

"The game plan was not to give them any respect and go up against them and foul them," said Hause.

"As soon as they looked like they were going to break through, bring them down, break up the play.

"Being aggressive, getting in people's faces, breaking up the play and, as bad as it sounds, fouling people is part of the game. Against [Manchester] City, that's what you've got to do because they're a very good side."

I hope whoever refs the final has read this. What a lovely side Villa are, such a sad loss to the Premier League if they are relegated.

I'd want us to do exactly this against Man City or Liverpool, and was pissed off that we didn't this season.

Edited by ParkerPen
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, trabuch said:

we should expect such - it was up to us to solve this.    MY issue is not that we lose games to Liverpool or man city (where face it... a win would be a bonus) but that we lose key games to clubs we should beat all day long (and this includes villa).  Yet they stopped us in the first game... and in fact we had plenty of changes in the first half of the second... but didn't manager to take them. This is a [painful lesson for us....   lets' hope our management and players learn how to counter such tactics - villa are not the first and wont be the last - we need to be ready to deal with this.

Edited by foxinsocks

9 minutes ago, trabuch said:

It's part of the game, the top teams do it all the time. Quite frankly we're pretty bloody naive when it comes to this sort of thing. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Babylon said:

It's part of the game, the top teams do it all the time. Quite frankly we're pretty bloody naive when it comes to this sort of thing. 

I agree, and Liverpool do it constantly, but I do think refs need to stop persitant fouling.

2 hours ago, filbertway said:

Absolutely not. 

If Villa stayed up and the players were happy to stay playing for a team hoping to finish somewhere between 10-17th. Then we'd have to pay extortionate fees. 

The moment those players heads are turned or if they're in a division below. Villa's hand becomes significantly weaker. The price will start to become more reasonable.

That's why I'm saying it depends on Villa's situation. We're in a much stronger position, we're looking like playing in the Champions league next season and are comfortable financially.

Didn’t villa reject big bids for Grealish when they were in the championship? It will undoubtedly reduce their power but £100m for both isn’t realistic 

3 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Didn’t villa reject big bids for Grealish when they were in the championship? It will undoubtedly reduce their power but £100m for both isn’t realistic 

Nothing ridiculously big IIRC. In the 20/30m region.

15 hours ago, st albans fox said:

I think any player in that situation would say - go on then, just lob a cross from there in rather than playing in their best player to get in behind or run towards the penalty area....... our defence should 100% deal with that cross ..... it’s not gray’s fault although if it hadn’t been grealish behind him, I suspect he would have made an attempt to split the two and put some pressure on EM to rush his delivery ....

Don't want to unnecessarily belabor the discourse, because it's mainly all hypothetical on your part (it's not as if every time grealish received a ball on the touchline he or Villa would score). Nonetheless, that hypothesis would have more gravitas if Gray actually cut off the supply lane to Grealish or otherwise went to close Grealish down.  

Rather, the only we know for certain (that is, not hypothetical) is that rather than attempt to close down El-Mohammedy or otherwise disrupt his cross, Gray simply backed away from BOTH  El-Mohammedy and Grealish, allowing the former the freedom of the park to more precisely pick out a cross behind our defense.

Anyway, I suppose it's all a matter of individual opinion.

On 30/01/2020 at 01:14, inckley fox said:

Mate their keeper made 3 World class saves in the first 30 mins and we had a blatant peno not given. On another day that's us won the game by half time. Then the first leg aswell we completely dominated and they scored with about their only attack. Yes we could have defended the goals they scored better, but we should have scored 2 or 3 in each leg rendering their goals meaningless. We were the better team clearly and were unlucky, 

• Like 1