Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

Centre half ... lots going on.

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Not read a single glowing report about Ajer from anyone who has watched him regularly. Ominous.

Ajer has had an indifferent season but he has great potential. Better than Benkovic at this moment in my view.

Celtic aren't keen on Benkovic. He started absolutely fantastic but bottled it at Ibrox. Questions about mentality in big games.

Both however are young men and inconsistency is natural. Big Christopher Jullien is easily better than both.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Deebhoy said:

Ajer has had an indifferent season but he has great potential. Better than Benkovic at this moment in my view.

Celtic aren't keen on Benkovic. He started absolutely fantastic but bottled it at Ibrox. Questions about mentality in big games.

Both however are young men and inconsistency is natural. Big Christopher Jullien is easily better than both.

..Just watched the YouTube trailer!!!!

Very good defender, good recovery and positional play great, outballs to initiate attack. Dangerous in the opposition's box, got to be a viable option for us.

3 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

..Just watched the YouTube trailer!!!!

Very good defender, good recovery and positional play great, outballs to initiate attack. Dangerous in the opposition's box, got to be a viable option for us.

He's solid most of the time but I once watched him get absolutely MUGGED by Livingstons CF at the Tony Macaroni Arena and it always put me off him. 

39 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

He's solid most of the time but I once watched him get absolutely MUGGED by Livingstons CF at the Tony Macaroni Arena and it always put me off him. 

to be fair Livingston are a top class team....

:ph34r:

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

Kind of says it all about Benko and Ajer at the min when Jullien, who was an average Ligue 1 defender, is better than both. 

Benkovic got injured after a good start with us and when Rodgers left, Lennon favoured playing the players we would have after the season started. I like Benkovic and would take him back in a heartbeat. 

Ajer had lapses in concentration during some big games this year. He’s still only 22, he played excellently in most European games, bar a couple. I like him, he’s passionate, determined but he’s rash at times. He’s going to improve a lot and it’s maybe one of them where he needs to take his game to the next level so he can concentrate more. Rodgers would probably get that out him again. Lennon doesn’t have the same philosophy as Rodgers. We don’t play out from the back as much now, we are much more direct. Also, when we went to a back 3, Ajer significantly improved. 

I don’t want Ajer to go but his agent has been making some noise so if we have to lose one player this year, Edouard is only one I’d 100% keep at all costs. While I don’t think there is much between Ajer and Benkovic in terms of potential, I’d expect cash plus player offer for Ajer. I wouldn’t do a straight swap, I rate Ajer higher. I haven’t seen enough of Benkovic in last couple of years but would take him back in cash plus player. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Celtic_daft1888 said:

Benkovic got injured after a good start with us and when Rodgers left, Lennon favoured playing the players we would have after the season started. I like Benkovic and would take him back in a heartbeat. 

Ajer had lapses in concentration during some big games this year. He’s still only 22, he played excellently in most European games, bar a couple. I like him, he’s passionate, determined but he’s rash at times. He’s going to improve a lot and it’s maybe one of them where he needs to take his game to the next level so he can concentrate more. Rodgers would probably get that out him again. Lennon doesn’t have the same philosophy as Rodgers. We don’t play out from the back as much now, we are much more direct. Also, when we went to a back 3, Ajer significantly improved. 

I don’t want Ajer to go but his agent has been making some noise so if we have to lose one player this year, Edouard is only one I’d 100% keep at all costs. While I don’t think there is much between Ajer and Benkovic in terms of potential, I’d expect cash plus player offer for Ajer. I wouldn’t do a straight swap, I rate Ajer higher. I haven’t seen enough of Benkovic in last couple of years but would take him back in cash plus player. 

Your description of Ajer sounds similar to another centre back we have  ..  and he certainly improved !! ..  if you would take Benko back then a deal would certainly seem to suit both parties ..  

43 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Your description of Ajer sounds similar to another centre back we have  ..  and he certainly improved !! ..  if you would take Benko back then a deal would certainly seem to suit both parties ..  

I hope you're not referring to Soyuncu. They are nothing alike. Cags is a defender first and foremost. Ajer is a CM playing at CB. He doesn't have the same instincts. 

1 minute ago, Foxy_Bear said:

I hope you're not referring to Soyuncu. They are nothing alike. Cags is a defender first and foremost. Ajer is a CM playing at CB. He doesn't have the same instincts. 

“Has lapses ..  passionate determined but rash at times ..  still only 22 ..  needs to take it to the next level and Rodgers would probably get that out of him .. “ 

24 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

“Has lapses ..  passionate determined but rash at times ..  still only 22 ..  needs to take it to the next level and Rodgers would probably get that out of him .. “ 

Soyuncu has lapsed, Ajer just hasn't got the same instincts or positioning because he's still learning how to be a CB. Two different kettle of fish, pal. 

20 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

Soyuncu has lapsed, Ajer just hasn't got the same instincts or positioning because he's still learning how to be a CB. Two different kettle of fish, pal. 

I know fvck all about him to be quite honest pal but I’m just going on what Celtic daft said ..   “He played excellently in most European games ..   ...He’s going to improve a lot “ ...   which sounds promising to me .....    and this rough diamond description did remind me of Soyuncu.    But ultimately it’s down to the club ...   and they probably know better than me ...   or you.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

I know fvck all about him to be quite honest pal but I’m just going on what Celtic daft said ..   “He played excellently in most European games ..   ...He’s going to improve a lot “ ...   which sounds promising to me .....    and this rough diamond description did remind me of Soyuncu.    But ultimately it’s down to the club ...   and they probably know better than me ...   or you.

Fair enough, I completely forgot you were replying to a comment before I jumped in tbf. I've saw quiet a bit of him (like you said, nothing to the degree of Rodgers) and I'm honestly not that impressed. Especially with the price quoted. Celtic being who they are and the league they play in can get away with a CB who is better on the ball than they are at defending but we can't really afford that luxury and need to CB's who can actually defend and aren't quite as Naive. 

• Like 1

I think we need an Ajer type in midfield, wouldn't be keen on him as a CB. We signed Benković for £13m (iirc) too and he's probably appreciated in value a little bit so if we end up spending £10-15m and moving Benkovic on I don't think that's great business. Can't envisage Celtic would be keen on doing business with us either.

1538296852_Screenshot2020-05-28at19_16_23.thumb.png.84b8fb563f71871ef9aad9404f8d2f86.png157106915_Screenshot2020-05-28at19_16_51.thumb.png.4f418ea9c0f5d4142ad17ca4b588dc1c.png

Edited by Stadt

On 28/05/2020 at 19:14, Stadt said:

I think we need an Ajer type in midfield, wouldn't be keen on him as a CB. We signed Benković for £13m (iirc) too and he's probably appreciated in value a little bit so if we end up spending £10-15m and moving Benkovic on I don't think that's great business. Can't envisage Celtic would be keen on doing business with us either.

Maybe not keen, but gate receipt income wise is pretty important to them, COVID will have a bigger impact on them then the average PL club, so they could be in a position were they need to sell. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

Maybe not keen, but gate receipt income wise is pretty important to them, COVID will have a bigger impact on them then the average PL club, so they could be in a position were they need to sell. 

The fanbase aren’t keen on us but do their board have a problem? A deal was done for Rodgers, they were handsomely compensated. We probably dealt on their terms so we could get our man. 

1 hour ago, Leeds Fox said:

The fanbase aren’t keen on us but do their board have a problem? A deal was done for Rodgers, they were handsomely compensated. We probably dealt on their terms so we could get our man. 

I think if the money right there will be no problem.

• Like 1

We might end up looking down the road like we did in 2018 when we signed Cags and Benkovic. Evans has been superb for us overall but he might have another season or so before he slows down. Not to the same extent as Morgan post 2016 buts its bound to happen.

Soyuncu will still be with us next season you'd imagine but he's on an upward curve so will be hard to retain him going into August 2021. He's not a million miles off Van Dijks level.

4 hours ago, Leeds Fox said:

I don’t think our fan base have an issue with Leicester fans. I think, and with all due respect, we are given an unfair crack of the whip by many substandard EPL sides. I’m not necessarily talking about Leicester here but I think a lot of our fans generally get pissed off when we get these nonsensical quotes about our league/club etc. Our issue is with Rodgers. I don’t really care about him anymore. Lennon has us playing a style of play better suited for  us, the best football we have played since Brendans first year. Teams worked out how to play us after the first season and Rodgers believes in his philosophy so much he’s very unwilling to change his tactics. That’s why we tended to get battered in Europe. Trying to go toe to toe with PSG and Bayern Munich in their own backyard, never going to turn out well. 

I do think that’s a misconception. We don’t really have an with EPL fans, just this delusion of grandeur some of them have. Most clubs are splashing money left right and centre with 15000 seater stadiums. Where they getting the money from? Oh yeah, TV money. I have an issue with sky. Not Leicester’s fans or Arsenals fans etc etc. Most EPL fans I converse with are generally likeable guys. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Celtic_daft1888 said:

I don’t think our fan base have an issue with Leicester fans. I think, and with all due respect, we are given an unfair crack of the whip by many substandard EPL sides. I’m not necessarily talking about Leicester here but I think a lot of our fans generally get pissed off when we get these nonsensical quotes about our league/club etc. Our issue is with Rodgers. I don’t really care about him anymore. Lennon has us playing a style of play better suited for  us, the best football we have played since Brendans first year. Teams worked out how to play us after the first season and Rodgers believes in his philosophy so much he’s very unwilling to change his tactics. That’s why we tended to get battered in Europe. Trying to go toe to toe with PSG and Bayern Munich in their own backyard, never going to turn out well. 

I do think that’s a misconception. We don’t really have an with EPL fans, just this delusion of grandeur some of them have. Most clubs are splashing money left right and centre with 15000 seater stadiums. Where they getting the money from? Oh yeah, TV money. I have an issue with sky. Not Leicester’s fans or Arsenals fans etc etc. Most EPL fans I converse with are generally likeable guys. 

Yeah I get that mate. It was a genuine question regarding your board’s willingness to deal with us. What’s your opinion on that? 

3 hours ago, Celtic_daft1888 said:

Why do you have an issue with SKY? Yes the money they pump in to the English game is obscene but the only reason they don't put decent money in th SPFL is because no one watches it's not even Scottish football fans. 

Be honest, how many Celtic fans do you know that regularly watch Aberdeen when they are on TV? Not a lot. Same goes for Aberdeen fans watching Hibs or Hibs fans watching Killie....

English fans tend to watch whatever English game is on, if Scottish football fans done the same, there would be more money involved in your game. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Leeds Fox said:

Yeah I get that mate. It was a genuine question regarding your board’s willingness to deal with us. What’s your opinion on that? 

There was issues between Lawwell, the chief executive and Rodgers. I think when you showed some interest in Callum McGregor, there was a rumour going around that Dermot Desmond, our owner/majority shareholder had to phone Rodgers and tell him to back off, which I don’t think is true. We wouldn’t stand in the way of a player who wanted to leave and it Leicester gave us the best offer, we would do business with them, I’m sure. 

11 hours ago, Foxy_Bear said:

Why do you have an issue with SKY? Yes the money they pump in to the English game is obscene but the only reason they don't put decent money in th SPFL is because no one watches it's not even Scottish football fans. 

Be honest, how many Celtic fans do you know that regularly watch Aberdeen when they are on TV? Not a lot. Same goes for Aberdeen fans watching Hibs or Hibs fans watching Killie....

English fans tend to watch whatever English game is on, if Scottish football fans done the same, there would be more money involved in your game. 

Sky run the EPL now. Be honest, how many teams in the EPL could survive without that TV money? I don’t think many could. Sky actually gave us a 50% increase in revenue for our new TV deal which starts in August but I would 100% have moved to BT for less cash. They promote the game, they have pundits who defend the game. Sky needs to get people like that in, not Andy Walker and Kris Boyd. 

I watch every Scottish game I can. As I said before, I don’t tend to watch English games unless I’m out but I would rather watch the Edinburgh Derby over Man Utd vs Liverpool. I agree though, most Scottish supporting fans seem to support EPL teams as secondary to their Scottish club. I know a lot of Celtic fans who support Celtic and then Man Utd/Arsenal/Liverpool. 

I think if a wage cap came in, out with a certain number of players in your squad, there would be better competition throughout Europe. All these top teams I mentioned before from smaller leagues getting beaten to signings by Bournemouth and Aston Villa because they can pay £70k a week in wages, it’s mental in my eyes. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Celtic_daft1888 said:

There was issues between Lawwell, the chief executive and Rodgers. I think when you showed some interest in Callum McGregor, there was a rumour going around that Dermot Desmond, our owner/majority shareholder had to phone Rodgers and tell him to back off, which I don’t think is true. We wouldn’t stand in the way of a player who wanted to leave and it Leicester gave us the best offer, we would do business with them, I’m sure. 

Sky run the EPL now. Be honest, how many teams in the EPL could survive without that TV money? I don’t think many could. Sky actually gave us a 50% increase in revenue for our new TV deal which starts in August but I would 100% have moved to BT for less cash. They promote the game, they have pundits who defend the game. Sky needs to get people like that in, not Andy Walker and Kris Boyd. 

I watch every Scottish game I can. As I said before, I don’t tend to watch English games unless I’m out but I would rather watch the Edinburgh Derby over Man Utd vs Liverpool. I agree though, most Scottish supporting fans seem to support EPL teams as secondary to their Scottish club. I know a lot of Celtic fans who support Celtic and then Man Utd/Arsenal/Liverpool. 

I think if a wage cap came in, out with a certain number of players in your squad, there would be better competition throughout Europe. All these top teams I mentioned before from smaller leagues getting beaten to signings by Bournemouth and Aston Villa because they can pay £70k a week in wages, it’s mental in my eyes. 

Absolutely, many English clubs would struggle without TV money, that goes without saying. Saying they wouldnt survive is OTT, ofcourse they would. They just wouldnt be at the same level. 

However, 

It could be argued that if England didnt have the money it did then the Scottish game wouldn't be as strong as the teams down their would rely more on youth which would mean players like Robert's, Ejaria, Kent, Ojo, Maddison etc etc wouldn't be making loan trips north. 

Having an English team is fine but folk up here like to bitch about the lack of money in Scotland when half of them wouldnt watch Aberdeen v  Motherwell free on BBC. 

I suspect your opinion of Kris Boyd is based on his allegiance but you cant deny he does defend the scottish game, just as much as that bellend Sutton, you just dont agree with the formers opinion as much as you do with the latter. 

5 hours ago, Foxy_Bear said:

Absolutely, many English clubs would struggle without TV money, that goes without saying. Saying they wouldnt survive is OTT, ofcourse they would. They just wouldnt be at the same level. 

However, 

It could be argued that if England didnt have the money it did then the Scottish game wouldn't be as strong as the teams down their would rely more on youth which would mean players like Robert's, Ejaria, Kent, Ojo, Maddison etc etc wouldn't be making loan trips north. 

Having an English team is fine but folk up here like to bitch about the lack of money in Scotland when half of them wouldnt watch Aberdeen v  Motherwell free on BBC. 

I suspect your opinion of Kris Boyd is based on his allegiance but you cant deny he does defend the scottish game, just as much as that bellend Sutton, you just dont agree with the formers opinion as much as you do with the latter. 

It’s nothing to do with their allegiance to be honest. I dislike that Ally McCoist and Alex Rae are ex rangers players but I respect them as pundits, albeit they’ve all shown themselves up with the current situation. The BT Scottish team are really really good. Some good debates, it gets heated but ultimately, BT really invested their time in the game. The day of the old firm cup final in November, it was phenomenal build up. I mind Celtic won the league last year on sky, got the trophy and they cut it so some boring EPL game could get started. Watford against Crystal Palace or something. This is the reason we get pissed off. 

On the subject of youth players, there also a benefit to that. We would develop our own more. Eh aria, Kent and Ojo haven’t really done much for rangers. Roberts had a cracking season the first 18 months then second season he struggled with fitness. Can understand the argument you’re trying to make but if EPL clubs weren’t allowed to stock pile players the way they do, these players wouldn’t move there. I mean, look at Chelsea last year, 33 player or something they had out on loan... it’s just mental. 

*Edit- Maddison, can’t believe he turned out the way he has! Played for Aberdeen and no one up here was really that impressed. Think he played a few decent games but certainly didn’t expect him to have the impact in the EPL he has done. 

Edited by Celtic_daft1888
  • Like 2