Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Japanfox

Will Brendan Rodgers be judged on next season's results?

To make an extrapolation that is not necessarily fair, surely if having all our best players available wouldn't have made much difference, this surely means that holding such a position means that a) you've given up on the management or b) no new players need to be bought.

I am of course being silly. However.......they are both logical conclusions based on that premise.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

To make an extrapolation that is not necessarily fair, surely if having all our best players available wouldn't have made much difference, this surely means that holding such a position means that a) you've given up on the management or b) no new players need to be bought.

I am of course being silly. However.......they are both logical conclusions based on that premise.

Exactly. Nobody denies our form dropped off but to take the position that having all our players fit would not have made any difference and we would still have been just as poor is counter intuitive. Something, or some combination of factors led to that drop off and it is not unreasonable to suggest that the run of injuries we suffered had some part in that, and therefore identifies the need to strengthen in those areas.

If we would have been so poor with everyone fit and available then the whole management team and playing squad would by inference be substandard and we would need to rebuild our entire club from the bottom up. A little perspective on some people's part is needed here I think.

46 minutes ago, urban fox said:

Exactly. Nobody denies our form dropped off but to take the position that having all our players fit would not have made any difference and we would still have been just as poor is counter intuitive. Something, or some combination of factors led to that drop off and it is not unreasonable to suggest that the run of injuries we suffered had some part in that, and therefore identifies the need to strengthen in those areas.

If we would have been so poor with everyone fit and available then the whole management team and playing squad would by inference be substandard and we would need to rebuild our entire club from the bottom up. A little perspective on some people's part is needed here I think.

Well some would have you believe that that's what's needed. 

2 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...quite clearly you overstating the absences!!!

The listed players were not all out at the same time and the example of Caglar does not bear scrutiny as he was part of the Bournemouth debacle.

Doesn't matter if they were not out all at the same time (though they were also ALL out at the same time during many games). It's a team. They need consistency playing together. Ndidi, Maddisson, Pereira are KEY players. The argument we lack depth is valid. But you don't see how these two things are connected? The PL is a competitive league that is often defined by small margins. Having key players out of any team effects results (look at Real the other night without Ramos). Where I've changed my opinion from reading some posts is that maybe we should have just been able to dig out results even if it was 1-0 where we defended most of the game. Or been able to hold onto a goal lead longer than five minutes to see out a game. That kind of frailty needs stamping out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoopla10 said:

Doesn't matter if they were not out all at the same time (though they were also ALL out at the same time during many games). It's a team. They need consistency playing together. Ndidi, Maddisson, Pereira are KEY players. The argument we lack depth is valid. But you don't see how these two things are connected? The PL is a competitive league that is often defined by small margins. Having key players out of any team effects results (look at Real the other night without Ramos). Where I've changed my opinion from reading some posts is that maybe we should have just been able to dig out results even if it was 1-0 where we defended most of the game. Or been able to hold onto a goal lead longer than five minutes to see out a game. That kind of frailty needs stamping out. 

..I am more than aware that in order to be consistent you need consistency!!!

Of course the injuries did not help and we seem to want to cling to that mantra when it was more obvious that the team looked lost and unable to fathom out the reason for the contrast in form, failing to appreciate that a tactical ploy had nullified their effectiveness and their  managers' inability to combat it.

That is clearly at the managers door, a deeper squad depth would ( in my opinion) still have floundered and like the second half of the season, sank without a trace.

11 hours ago, urban fox said:

Is it the managers fault if we cannot secure the targets we want, even if they are available? Did he actually have a budget? Did they want to come here/ could we afford them? deciding to operate with a small squad could be a smokescreen for we ain't got no money to spend.

None of us know what the clubs finances are in any detail, what targets the manager and the recruitment team have identified so it is all speculation.  That said results need to improve and we have to get some consistency back or as is the case at every club, the manager will carry the can ultimately

Perez was a Rodgers choice, I know that much.

Wonder what is the comparative data for  'BR brings young players on with his excellent coaching'? Hope its true, but better than other PL managers? Comparisons may be difficult, but any ideas on how this can be compared? We see lots of data for players and whole teams of staff measuring performance on the players, but is there any published information on managers?

On 10/08/2020 at 04:30, Dan LCFC said:

The Sheffield United game was a really good performance and I think arguably our best at home all season weirdly, we could've won that 4/5-0 if Barnes had his shooting boots on. We were really good. Sadly this game was an anomaly. Even the Palace game, a good win but we were gifted two of the goals and I don't think we'd been that good up until we went ahead either.

It is a worry, we're banking on a big summer I think.

Well as Pat Nevin on Radio Five Live said last night after the Wolves v Seville game, "if you stand still in the Prem., you go backwards"! Probably about right if anything beyond year on year survival is expected from the board and fans alike.... 

This year will suffice. Jan and summer transfer windows. Enough time for players to bed in. Injuries even themselves out over the duration (ie competition will have experienced similar levels) so no excuses can be used there either. 

8th or above is a very realistic expectation come end of December.

Edited by Mythyaar