Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Japanfox

Will Brendan Rodgers be judged on next season's results?

The last time we were in Europe,  we know that Claudio was saving the players energy by rotating the fringe players.   As we don't have a big team and if Rodgers goes this route and firms drops off in the premiership, will our fans / the players turn.......?   

2 minutes ago, Kinowe Soorie said:

I’ve said this before, but I think that he’s on too much money to sack him. The only reason/way, would be if it looked like we were to get relegated.

Yeah it's a rare balls up from the club putting him on that sort of deal. Hindsights a wonderful thing though and we were in great form when he was linked to Arsenal. I just hope he learns from his mistakes

• Like 1

Of course is there any other way of judging a manager.

For next season he has 3 competitions, a season similar to Wolves this season would be the expectation.

If we can finish top 7 have a good run in the EL and get back into Europe again, it will be a successful season.

It will be tough as the so called “top 6” all look in a better position next season than they did this season. 
Wolves will not have Europe unless they win the EL and teams like Everton and Southampton I think will be better than they are this year.

Add to this, I think Leeds, WBA and Fulham are all better teams with better managers than the three who have dropped.

Never the less we should be looking to contour rise, and if we don’t that will as always lie at the managers door.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Collymore said:

If he pretends that everything is fine then it'll be testing.

He needs to turn on the players, fans and media at some point Big Nige style. 

I know this is tongue in cheek but there's more than a grain of truth to it. 

Lampard has been a real success this year. He's also heaped pressure and scrutiny on his players at times. When they were having a good spell he was very pointed about players not keeping it up losing their place.

I can't help but think the 'outstanding effort' is fast becoming the new 'quality and intensity'. At certain points players need a bollocking and I don't think he's got it in him. 

I doubt the owner is paying him 10 million a year to finish mid table, anything less then being in around the top 6-7 and going deep in the Europa League and FA Cup and our his going to be under pressure

7 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

I know this is tongue in cheek but there's more than a grain of truth to it. 

Lampard has been a real success this year. He's also heaped pressure and scrutiny on his players at times. When they were having a good spell he was very pointed about players not keeping it up losing their place.

I can't help but think the 'outstanding effort' is fast becoming the new 'quality and intensity'. At certain points players need a bollocking and I don't think he's got it in him. 

Easier to do when you have quality replacements in waiting in the wing to replace them. 

Let be honest there is little competition for places in our 11 due to the quality of the squad.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

I doubt the owner is paying him 10 million a year to finish mid table, anything less then being in around the top 6-7 and going deep in the Europa League and FA Cup and our his going to be under pressure

Easier to do when you have quality replacements in waiting in the wing to replace them. 

Let be honest there is little competition for places in our 11 due to the quality of the squad.  

'I prefer to work with a small squad' - Brensan Rodgers on not signing anyone in January. 

He set up this small squad, and didn't want to buy in the depth. If you're going to set out with a patard prepare to be hoisted with it. 

I'm not saying the guy needs to go. Far from it. But these decisions he makes in the name of his philosophy are also the ones that contribute to his judgement. If he's going to prefer a small squad then his decision needs to be justified. I don't think it has been. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

'I prefer to work with a small squad' - Brensan Rodgers on not signing anyone in January. 

He set up this small squad, and didn't want to buy in the depth. If you're going to set out with a patard prepare to be hoisted with it. 

I'm not saying the guy needs to go. Far from it. But these decisions he makes in the name of his philosophy are also the ones that contribute to his judgement. If he's going to prefer a small squad then his decision needs to be justified. I don't think it has been. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/leicester-citys-transfer-priorities-2020-3212977.amp

It was before the season started he made the comment about small squads but I'm 99% this was echoed in January. I can't find it off hand. 

But the point remains. The lack of squad depth was his choice. If you're choosing that then you need to suffer the consequences when it doesn't go well. Not just keep saying it's outstanding. 

6 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

I said "quality replacements", there is no issue with the size, it the quality that is the issue. 

He's had 12 months and 2 windows, how do you know who he wanted to buy or not? How do you know whether the club gave him any more funds, in the summer or in the winter window, the what he spent.

Once again its about quality, he didn't say he like a small squad with average ability 

I think the goal again and will be for the foreseeable future is to develop the team and challenge the big 6. Last season we did and broke them up and finished 5th, is we can finish in the top 6 again it would be an amazing achievement. Realistically we can finish 4th down to 8th. Any lower than that and I think the manager will then get deserved stick. But unfortunately based on Foxtalk and not based on any Leicester fans I know, the knives are out and that would suggest a large section of this forum believe we should be in the top

4, as they are not happy with 5th. The table never lies after 38 games and we were the 5th best team last season and that to me is a step in the right direction. Also it Depends on finances, we

know We have a first 11 that can compete with the top 4, but any players out of form or injury issues and our squad is not good enough. So if we can add 4-5 players of quality, then who knows. The main thing is we keep moving forward  under Rodgers, just like we have done since his time in charge. Most exciting time ever to be a leicester fan, as for the first time in our history we have a chance of winning a European trophy and challenging for a

champions league spot. But we do need a good start to get the confidence back.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

I said "quality replacements", there is no issue with the size, it the quality that is the issue. 

He's had 12 months and 2 windows, how do you know who he wanted to buy or not? How do you know whether the club gave him any more funds, in the summer or in the winter window, the what he spent.

Once again its about quality, he didn't say he like a small squad with average ability 

You're making excuses for poor planning. 

Support him all you like but there's a reason we didn't bring in anyone and that is down to Brendan Rodgers. He had time. He has money. 

This cultish devotion to defending mistakes isn't going to change my mind. It just makes you look a little bit odd. He's made a mistake and deserves to be called out for it. It's not a character assassination and certainly doesn't need you to ride in and defend his honour.

He took the gamble of having a small squad AND NOT ADDING TO THE QUALITY WITH THE 80 MILLION WE RECEIVED FOR MAGUIRE and it backfired when we had an injury crisis. The manager of the club carries the can for this. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, foxile5 said:

You're making excuses for poor planning. 

Support him all you like but there's a reason we didn't bring in anyone and that is down to Brendan Rodgers. He had time. He has money. 

I'm not making excuses or riding to defend his honour, just making observations, they we don't know what budget he had, unless you can prove other wise, or whether he was told he can spend the 80m from the Maguire deal.   

1 minute ago, foxile5 said:

This cultish devotion to defending mistakes isn't going to change my mind. It just makes you look a little bit odd. He's made a mistake and deserves to be called out for it. It's not a character assassination and certainly doesn't need you to ride in and defend his honour.

That statement actually makes you seem odd, I thought posting on a forum was about creating debate and having an opinion? What's cultist about having a balance view of a situation, does he deserve criticism for a poor second half of the season, of cause he does.

But your taking a statement about liking to work with a small squad and turning that into a statement that he didn't want to improve the squad is just guess work. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Rodgers has 10 league games to save his job in the eyes of the fans. The club will be thankful we aren't allowed to attend.

In all seriousness, the slump needs to be arrested quickly. We saw how difficult it was to recover in 2016/17 from a poor opening half of the season and given we are borderline relegation form over the last 10-15 games in 2020 we need to be careful as the media will be the last to catch on to how bad things have really got as they'll point towards us being 5th last season and not that over the course of half a season + the new season that the form equals a relegation scrap and thats not acceptable for a team like ours and for a manager who would eat himself if he could.

Speak for yourself. He should get a similar amount of time that Claudio did.

Just now, coolhandfox said:

I'm not making excuses or riding to defend his honour, just making observations, they we don't know what budget he had, unless you can prove other wise, or whether he was told he can spend the 80m from the Maguire deal.   

That statement actually makes you seem odd, I thought posting on a forum was about creating debate and having an opinion? What's cultist about having a balance view of a situation, does he deserve criticism for a poor second half of the season, of cause he does.

But your taking a statement about liking to work with a small squad and turning that into a statement that he didn't want to improve the squad is just guess work. 

Everything about discussing the internal affairs of a football club is guesswork. Some is more accurate than others. 

3rd in January, with owners who cover the Champions League and openly state they wanted to be there, with a publicly known 80m in the bank from the Maguire sale...do you think he'd have had any trouble improving the squad? 

I don't. At all. 

He made his choices and its a valid criticism to say that he got it wrong. You keep going on about 'quality additions' but he hasn't made any. The owners have furnished him with a whacking contract and are obviously happy to invest.

Like I said initially, just calling every game outstanding when it isn't real smacks of denial. After 18 months or so he's responsible for the state of the squad and he's chosen a small squad - as his preference - and has failed to add the quality. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Japanfox said:

The last time we were in Europe,  we know that Claudio was saving the players energy by rotating the fringe players.   As we don't have a big team and if Rodgers goes this route and firms drops off in the premiership, will our fans / the players turn.......?   

There are Now a couple of more Mitigating circumstances....

# Ranieri stated they wont buy players for the sake of it....

# We dont know what Funds will be available for Team Rodgers...

# Covid will have its Time  rooted repercussions....unknown values/variants through the Next 2 months.

#Covid, what repercussions are Left Behind on KP Business & family...

# Brexit rulings..!!

# Again,even if we had reached CL....We still have difficult of enticing some of the best or required Quality players to our City & club...

# How Good in reality is our Player Marketing/transfer skills.....

## The fans past critical and laudibal platforms, are just empty vessels....This situation is just Simply  unique....

I'll say now..

# I expect better all round Team performances

# We must Continue to compete at Top 7..Level

#depending on performances and commitment levels BRodgers Leicester might be excused placing of 10-8th

# Aspiration & Ambition should still be...Target Top 4..!!

# Reach a cup final...

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 2