Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bellend Sebastian

Eddie Van Halen dies

10 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

....at 65, not bad for a rock star.

Naturally just put Michael Jackson's Beat It on. The presence of the prancing paedophile (alleged) can't detract from the fact that's a belting solo. And on a pop record!

You can't really imagine it now, can you?

He already knew Quincy Jones through VH's producer Ted Templeman, when he was invited to play on the track. He came into the studio, rearranged the song, then recorded two one-off improvised solos. MJ was in the next studio and having been advised that some young upstart was rearranging his song, came in to listen and loved that he'd had the confidence to improve the song. There's a lot of mythology about the session, but it was completed in about thirty minutes and it's true that Eddie declined payment. That he requested dance lessons and a case of beer is probably apocryphal - or that the solo was so blazing hot that one of the monitor speakers in the control room bust into flames. Nice to think so though. 

RIP Eddie:

Edited by Line-X
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

....at 65, not bad for a rock star.

Naturally just put Michael Jackson's Beat It on. The presence of the prancing paedophile (alleged) can't detract from the fact that's a belting solo. And on a pop record!

You can't really imagine it now, can you?

Did he play lead guitar for Michael Jackson or produce? I don't know that much about him but they've just played an extract from Beat It (the single) on the radio.

Edited by Fox92

35 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Did he play lead guitar for Michael Jackson or produce? I don't know that much about him but they've just played an extract from Beat It (the single) on the radio.

He played the solo for Beat It, it was two takes and they chopped one half from each. It's a great solo. Quincy Jones produced all of MJ's stuff of that era, I think

Real shame about EVH, I used to absolutely love Van Halen's first album, such an awesome sound

Edited by Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

He played the solo for Beat It, it was two takes and they chopped one half from each. It's a great solo. Quincy Jones produced all of MJ's stuff of that era, I think

Real shame about EVH, I used to absolutely love Van Halen's first album, such an awesome sound

Ah, cheers. Yeah it is a good solo. Tbf Michael Jackson did write some greats riffs/solo's when you think of Beat It/Black and White/Smooth Criminal etc and although I like his stuff, I've never been massively into it, which is why I've never looked at personell.

Edited by Fox92

Was only listening to 1984 a few weeks ago. I guess people can be guilty of just lumping in Van Halen with everyone else who had that kind of Hair Metal style, but he really was an innovator. Bet he loved having his son playing in a band with him more recently too. Mad how one family could produce three musicians of that quality.

Edited by Voll Blau
  • Like 1