Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

The biggest waste of money thread.

In Izzet's case could almost arguably have been talking about wages whilst he was injured. As it happens, they'll get a lot of the money back on this from insurers. Also he's back playing now.

I think Swissfox, who claims to be a fairly articulate, intelligent man has actually completely mis-read/misunderstood the topic and instead gone for players who he thinks are over-rated OR players who he loved when they were at Leicester and now have become cr ap in the space of a season or two... (as if)

Nope. I was referring to players (predominately in the Premiership) who have been praised as a football savior, instead displaying lacklustre performances in almost every single game. Therefore a waste of money. And there are only three former Leicester players on that list. ;)

Can't agree with Beckham at all. His form has been brilliant all season, one of the best players for Madrid and he is the last player you could call waste of money because of all the revenue he makes from merchandise.

Owen was not a waste of money- he scores goals and that costs money. £16/17 million is a lot but it gets results.

Veron has cost more in all his transfers together than any other player ever. He did nothing in England for Man U or Chelsea but I don't really know if he did anything extaordinary abroad. Never worth what people have paid for.

Lee Bradbury - Man City paid £3M for him. He's absolutely crap. 81 goals in 11 seasons as a professional footballer, and a "striker" at that. Every single one was a fluke.

Incidentally, Ade Akinbiyi's career transfer fees total £12.75M. :o That's £5M more than Teddy Sheringham. :o:o

Didier Drogba - £24m

He is rubbish! I dont rate him at all. He is a chancer and gets his goals without little effort at all. Ok, doesnt matter how goals come but he doesnt show much for his price!

I also think Essien is over rated and they payed way too much for him! Not that price is an issue for chelsea!

Essien may be a little over rated and perhaps a little overpriced but come on, he's a quality player. You can argue that all footballers are overpriced. At the end of the day, its all relative and Chelsea wanted to prise away a competitor's most prized asset.

Essien is quality. In one so young he is so close to being the finished product.

Essien may be a little over rated and perhaps a little overpriced but come on, he's a quality player. You can argue that all footballers are overpriced. At the end of the day, its all relative and Chelsea wanted to prise away a competitor's most prized asset.

Essien is quality. In one so young he is so close to being the finished product.

he is a good player but he hasnt proved himself at the highest level and therefore it doesnt justify the amount of money payed. but as you say, chelsea can get what they want and money is no object!

Connolly for possibly £3 Million to Wigan.

Great for us, but if they're not gonna play him, thats a lot of money for a player probably not worth £1 million.

Perhaps. But then again, the season's still young, only a third played, and should Roberts picks up an injury, Connolly will get his chance again. And he has proven that he can score on that level. Time will tell.

Don't remember what they were paid for, but the following players are totally underperforming (as of right now):

- Beckham (the reason why footballers are called divas nowadays)

- Woodgate (Injured one day, injured the other... lol)

- Bent (Everton)

- Cech (he's not that good, it all boils down how well Terry, Del Horno, Huth and Gallas are performing)

- Rio Ferdinand

- Gerrard

- Scholes (very, very quiet recently)

- Van Persie (Arsenal is built around Henry and his "replacements" just aren't as good as the original)

- Robbie Keane

- Ronaldo (ManU)

- Garcia

- Crouch (Overrated? Wrong club?)

- Dickov (lol)

- Izzet :ermm:

- Forssell

- Baros

On this occasion, I'd like some controversial figures back on the pitch. Aren't there any modern Cantonas, Gascoignes, Roy Keanes, Vinnie Jones' around any more...? It's all way too smooth in today's football culture... What do you think?

I have to say, I find some of those suggestions absolute bollox, Swiss....sorry!

Beckham has arguably been Real Madrids best and most consistent player this season.

For the amount Everton paid for Bent, and the performances he put in last season, playing a big part in getting 4th place for them, is hardly a waste of money. He's hardly had a chance this season.

Cech, not that good? Everyone's raving about Chelseas defence, and never acknowledge Cech's contribution. He was awesome in France and he's just about as solid as goalies come!

Gerrard and Scholes are youth products and have thus far never been transferred...

Van Persie isn't a striker really. Feyenoord always played him out wide as a wing. He's incidentally done reasonably well for Arsenal to be honest.

Garcia was together with Gerrard the one who arguably won the Champions League for Liverpool

Dickov was virtually free and Izzet cost nothing

Forssell, give him a chance...he's only just returned from injury.

However, I would add other big profiles like Morientes, Pellegrino, Saha, Kewell to your list...

Veron has cost more in all his transfers together than any other player ever. He did nothing in England for Man U or Chelsea but I don't really know if he did anything extaordinary abroad. Never worth what people have paid for.

He was well worth the money when Lazio bought him from Parma. He was my far and away favourite player then, and was arguably the best midfielder in the world. Incidentally this was under the 'boring' and 'shit' Sven Göran Erikssons leadership :rolleyes:

Good thinking with Laslandes and Marlet. Absolute disasters the pair of em.

Yup, they were awful in England... But like many of the South Americans who try their luck in England, they get shipped out and enjoy plenty of success in places that are more suited to their style. Marlet is doing well with Marseilles at this time..

Archived