Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
shailen

What is our best starting XI and what formation

4 hours ago, matty98 said:

I don't think we have a best starting 11 or formation.

I think against weaker teams our best 11 is probably this:

Schmeichel

Castagne    Fofana     Soyuncu      Ricardo

Ndidi

Tielemans       Maddison

Under                Vardy                 Barnes

It seems harsh to leave Evans out but I think the pace of our back line would allow us to play a ridiculously high line and completely trap the opposition in their own half.

But against teams that are stronger than us our best 11 is this:

Schmeichel

Fofana           Evans            Soyuncu

Castagne        Tielemans     Mendy          Ricardo

Maddison

Vardy                 Barnes

This is the one for me. Main difference is Ndidi plays against the weaker teams as he allows Tielemans to play further forward by essentially doing the job of two players. 

Mendy and Tielemans have shown themselves to be a good combo when we want to play the low block

• Like 1

Against strong teams who will fancy attacking us and won’t try to stifle us: Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea types:

Kasper

Forfana Soyuncu Evans

Ricardo            Ndidi               Castange
                     Tielemens

Maddison                   Barnes

Vardy

Reason: Stronger to cope with strong attacks and world class talent but enough to cause space that they inevitably leave us. These are the games we should use 5 at the back. Elite teams and occasionally a freak team like Leeds who are crazy over attacking.

Against the weaker teams who we are just a lot better than man for man. Sheffield Utd, Fulham, West Brom, Burnley types:

Kasper

Ricardi Forfana Evans Castange

Ndidi

Tielemens Maddison

Under Vardy Barnes

Reason: Well this above is imo the best 11 if we are just thinking about ourselves and not the opposition. So against weak teams we should not fiddle around and just play round pegs in round holes. Strongest team and we can’t go far wrong. I’d have Madders over Praet and Evans over Soyuncu in 2 close decisions. Maddison has less energy but more creative so he’s better for these teams than Praet, Evans less movement and energy than Soyuncu but better at reading the game and marshalling Little Wes.

Against Solid teams who are fairly strong but are more defencive deep sitting teams, West Ham, Wolves, Newcastle types:

Kasper

Ricardo Forfana Soyuncu Castange

Ndidi
           Tielemans  Praet

Under Vardy Barnes

Reason: 5 at the back plays into these teams hands. Has to be 4141 and requires more energy as these type of teams are not as talented as the top lot but very hard working, physical and fitter and stronger than the weak lot, so we need to not be so deep but at the same time, have enough energy. Soyuncu and Praet are my 2 changes I’d put vs these teams from what I’d say is our first 11 above if everyone fit. This is because Soyuncu and Praet have better fitness, get into the faces more over the respective other 2.

• Like 1

It seems that people seem to think we're better set up 4-1-4-1 against teams that sit back against us and 3-4-3 with Mendy in against teams that are likely to have a go. It's interesting as can we deliver performances playing these different styles week in week out.

My only concern is in games in the PL where we're the ones taking the game to the opposition we've struggled a little bit, but in those games we haven't had a fit Maddison so that does make a difference. Maddison is probably our most creative midfielder and is good at dribbling in tight spaces and creating something which is needed in these types of games. 

• Like 1

Schmeichel

Ricardo

Fofana

Evans

Castagne

Tielemans

Ndidi

Praet

Maddison

Barnes

Vardy

I know we haven't seen this team yet but I would say it's our strongest eleven. Soyuncu, Mendy would easily slot in and the likes of Justin have made a great claim to be in as well.

• Like 1

This has got to be the best Leicester City squad I have seen in my 48 years on planet earth!

With injured players starting to filter back and so many of those standing in performing admirably, it does pose a quandary for Brendan on what his best team is. Tactically, I get the feeling that we have that 352/532 option in addition to the 451/433. I have no idea what our best 11 is but it will be interesting to read how you all feel we should go if every player was fit and in form.

Kasper 

Fofana - Evans - Caglar 

Riccardo                                   Castagne

Tielmans - Ndidi 

Maddison       Barnes

Vardy

I changed my mind about 7 times but I reckon I`d like to see that side in action.

• Like 1

The good thing about all this is that since we won the league, we seemingly had 11 or 12 players that you'd consider proper first teamers. The rest were fringe players who were basically downgrades to what we had on the pitch.   Now we probably have what 16 or 17 proper first team players who could be put in to certain areas, and it weakens us none.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

I wonder what happens when more of our players are fit ?  Will we play different formations to suit the opposition or stick with a set up ??

I don't like the idea of switching formations to play the opponent and much prefer us to have our set style and let our football do the talking. I'd rather the tactical element focus on intensity, defensive line, width, etc., as most of the top teams play a certain way and style and don't alter for many teams at all. If we want to be in the same bracket we will at some point have to stop chopping and changing and stick to this 3-4-3 formation.