Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
shailen

What is our best starting XI and what formation

Brendan Rodgers has got a good selection headache when all our big players are back from injury but how do people see us setting up and what is our best starting XI. 

I think we'll go back to 4-3-3 once N'didi is back and I'd prefer the following line up. 

Kasper

Ricardo

Fofana

Soyuncu 

Castange 

N'didi 

Maddison

Tielemans 

Under

Vardy

Barnes 

Harsh on Mendy, Praet, Justin, Evans, Perez, Iheanacho, Albrighton and so many more because pretty much everyone has performed this season but I see that as our strongest XI and our best set up. 

• Like 3

If Evans signs a new contract then I think for most games it will be 3 centre backs with our 2 full backs providing the width. Under would be used as an impact sub. 

The advantage now is that our formation will be fluid and can change from game to game or even during. We can now play it different ways depending on the opposition. 

• Like 1

I don't think he has a headache at all. The players have proved they are all capable of coming into the side and doing a job. With European football now we have plenty of fixtures for us to rotate players. Everyone will get game time, yes some more than others, but at least we shouldn't see players not getting any game time at all.

Well except Gray and Slimani. Surely they are gone in January.  

I'm not even sure I can pick our best 11. Who do you pick between Ndidi and Mendy? Mendy has been superb and easily just as good as Ndidi.

Fofana has slotted in with ease. No reason why we cant rotate between Evans, Soyuncu and Fofana as they are all more than capable. I genuinely cant pick the best 2 (If we play 4 at the back). Fofana hasn't put a foot wrong.

James Justin has also been superb. Meaning we can bring Ricardo back slowly instead of throwing him into the Liverpool game from the get go. (Ricardo is the better player though).

The doubts with squad depth have been quashed. Forget a Best 11. We genuinely have a Great squad.

• Like 4

I really don’t know any more. Ricky, Evans, Soy, Wilf and Castagne you would have  assumed to be nailed on starters. Probably same goes for Maddison but look what we have achieved without most of them. Would be extremely harsh on Mendy and Praet in particular to suddenly be left out. Albrighton, Fuchs, Hamza know their role is primarily as back up or being selected for specific jobs in certain games but with the exception of Slimani who is only here because nobody wanted him and Gray who is on the naughty step for refusing a new contract, the whole squad has performed as and when needed in whatever system chosen.

i really do believe that we now truly have a squad and not just a first choice 11 plus others.

i do not think that anyone has the right to expect to start anymore and that type of competition for places can only be healthy. We will see lots of variations and rotation this season with games coming thick and fast. 

Imagine if, when everyone is fit, we put the side that destroyed Braga or Leeds out our bench could look something like any seven from Vardy, Praet, Ricardo, castagne, Mendy, Morgan, evans, Ndidi Barnes, Perez. Any opposing team looking at our dugout would be sh*tting themselves.

I can't see Rodgers committing to the current way we're playing once he's got a fully fit squad, especially when the fixture congestion slows down a bit after the group stages and then the Christmas rush. 

Obviously that's quite a ways away mind. 

Rodgers himself has said multiple times it's not his preference for us to set up defensively, to play deep, to rely on the counter. We even know its not Top's preference or why Rodgers was hired. 

You don't consistently play possession based, attacking football with three centre backs and wing backs as your main source of width. There's a reason almost every desciple of Cruyff plays a version of 451 - whether you call it 4231, 433, 451, 4141, etc. Its about evenly distributing your players over as much as the pitch as you can to utilise space and move the opposition around. 

The best we've ever looked under Rodgers is still last Autumn and he'll go back to it, imo, as he probably should. It gets the best out of our best players in their best positions. 

I'd imagine something like 

Kasper

Castagne/Ricardo, Evans, Cags/Fofana, Castagne/Ricardo 

Tielemans, Ndidi, Maddison 

Under, Vardy, Barnes 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 2

It's pretty tough to pick now, which is a great sign.

I'd guess I'd go with:

Kasper

Ricardo  Evans  Soyuncu Castagne

Ndidi

Tielemans    Maddison

Under                             Barnes

Vardy

Bench: Ward, Fofana, Justin, Mendy, Praet, Perez, Nacho

Or:

Kasper

Fofana      Evans    Soyuncu

Ricardo             Ndidi            Castagne

Maddison        Tielemans

Barnes

Vardy

Bench: Ward, Amartey/Fuchs/Morgan, Justin, Mendy, Praet, Under, Nacho

Seems really harsh on players like Praet and Mendy, though. It's incredible how we have real strength in depth all of a sudden.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I can't see Rodgers committing to the current way we're playing once he's got a fully fit squad, especially when the fixture congestion slows down a bit after the group stages and then the Christmas rush. 

Obviously that's quite a ways away mind. 

Rodgers himself has said multiple times it's not his preference for us to set up defensively, to play deep, to rely on the counter. We even know its not Top's preference or why Rodgers was hired. 

You don't consistently play possession based, attacking football with three centre backs and wing backs as your main source of width. There's a reason almost every desciple of Cruyff plays a version of 451 - whether you call it 4231, 433, 451, 4141, etc. Its about evenly distributing your players over as much as the pitch as you can to utilise space and move the opposition around. 

The best we've ever looked under Rodgers is still last Autumn and he'll go back to it, imo, as he probably should. It gets the best out of our best players in their best positions. 

I'd imagine something like 

Kasper

Castagne/Ricardo, Evans, Cags/Fofana, Castagne/Ricardo 

Tielemans, Ndidi, Maddison 

Under, Vardy, Barnes 

I agree with most of that @Finnegan, though I've no wish to see Ricardo at LB. Relatively speaking, LB and RW are the under strength positions in that XI.

We're expecting Castagne to be as good on the left as he is on the right (and the little evidence I've seen, for Belgium, support that) but he might not be. And while Under has shown flashes of real talent, he hasn't yet put in a good 90 minute shift. Let's see with him. 

But at least we have, injuries permitting, alternatives. Maddison can play, as he did last night, in the front three (to be accurate, he played in a 2 behind Nacho as the 1), with Vardy & Barnes, Praet coming into midfield. Thomas or JJ can play LB. Neither change weakens us. This is real progress! 

A couple more players in January to replace Gray & Slim in the 25 and all being well we could have a great second half of the season.  

Edited by Steve Earle
omission

1 hour ago, Mythyaar said:

Mendy being ignored in most of these theoretical best starting XIs. He's been our most consistent, probably best player this season!

If Vardy was injured and Iheanacho was your best player for four or five games, you'd still eventually want Vardy back in the side, right? 

Not everything has to be a criticism of a player, not everything is disrespect. It's just that Mendy has Ndidi for competition, who has been consistently one of the best ball winning midfielders in all of world football for the last few years. 

Much like Vardy, he's a player you have to actually stop, look at the statistics sometimes and remind yourself that even at the very highest level, there aren't actually that many players better out there. 

1 hour ago, Steve Earle said:

I agree with most of that @Finnegan, though I've no wish to see Ricardo at LB. Relatively speaking, LB and RW are the under strength positions in that XI.

We're expecting Castagne to be as good on the left as he is on the right (and the little evidence I've seen, for Belgium, support that) but he might not be. And while Under has shown flashes of real talent, he hasn't yet put in a good 90 minute shift. Let's see with him. 

But at least we have, injuries permitting, alternatives. Maddison can play, as he did last night, in the front three (to be accurate, he played in a 2 behind Nacho as the 1), with Vardy & Barnes, Praet coming into midfield. Thomas or JJ can play LB. Neither change weakens us. This is real progress! 

A couple more players in January to replace Gray & Slim in the 25 and all being well we could have a great second half of the season.  

Regards Ricardo on the left, I don't actually think his impact would be greatly diminished over there. I might even argue that his footedness and style of play make him a better candidate for left back than Castagne. Castagne looks like a great prospect crossing and squaring passes off his right down that side. Where as Ricardo thrives cutting in off his wing or cutting back from the byline, both of which could actually benefit him to be on the opposite side. 

Ultimately I'm not fussy, as long as both of those are our starting full backs then whichever Rodgers thinks is best is good for me. They're both too good to be on the bench regardless. 

• Like 3

I don't think we have a best starting 11 or formation.

I think against weaker teams our best 11 is probably this:

Schmeichel

Castagne    Fofana     Soyuncu      Ricardo

Ndidi

Tielemans       Maddison

Under                Vardy                 Barnes

It seems harsh to leave Evans out but I think the pace of our back line would allow us to play a ridiculously high line and completely trap the opposition in their own half.

But against teams that are stronger than us our best 11 is this:

Schmeichel

Fofana           Evans            Soyuncu

Castagne        Tielemans     Mendy          Ricardo

Maddison

Vardy                 Barnes

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, matty98 said:

I don't think we have a best starting 11 or formation.

I think against weaker teams our best 11 is probably this:

Schmeichel

Castagne    Fofana     Soyuncu      Ricardo

Ndidi

Tielemans       Maddison

Under                Vardy                 Barnes

It seems harsh to leave Evans out but I think the pace of our back line would allow us to play a ridiculously high line and completely trap the opposition in their own half.

But against teams that are stronger than us our best 11 is this:

Schmeichel

Fofana           Evans            Soyuncu

Castagne        Tielemans     Mendy          Ricardo

Maddison

Vardy                 Barnes

I just soiled myself twice.

• Haha 2

It's so difficult because of the form some fringe players have hit, and that's the joy of a good squad. Brendon will be able to pick players on form or tactical plans for any set match.

If everyone is fit and in 8/10 form and we had a cup final tomorrow, I'd go with this.

Kasper

Ricardo  Fofana  Evans  Soyuncu  Castagne

Tielemans  Ndidi

Maddison                            Barnes

Vardy

Think you can go more attacking and put Under in for a centre back and play 4-5-1 when situation suits.

Still leaves Justin, Mendy, Praet and Kelechi as really really good options to change things. Best squad we have ever had.

5 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

He'll keep playing 343 until it stops working, because right now the new system is paying dividends.

Kasper

Fofana  Evans  Soyuncu

Ricardo  Tielemans Ndidi Castagne

Maddison Barnes

Vardy

That's probably what he will play with everyone fit in that system, but there would be a lot of competition for places. You could make convincing arguments for players like Mendy, JJ, Praet, Under, etc to play on current form.

For me the new system is the maximising the best attributes of our best players and gets the best out of the most number of players we have at our disposal. It's a bit like how in 15/16 our system got the best out of players like Simpson, Drinkwater and Okazaki despite them being decent but not stellar players. 

At some point teams might figure out the 343, but good luck trying to best the team I posted here! It's oozing quality. 

With European competition we will have to rotate the squad not just play our best XI week in week out even if they are all fit.

I think that Rodgers favours 4 atb and this has the benefit of allowing us to rotate CBs.  

5 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

He'll keep playing 343 until it stops working, because right now the new system is paying dividends.

Kasper

Fofana  Evans  Soyuncu

Ricardo  Tielemans Ndidi Castagne

Maddison Barnes

Vardy

That's probably what he will play with everyone fit in that system, but there would be a lot of competition for places. You could make convincing arguments for players like Mendy, JJ, Praet, Under, etc to play on current form.

For me the new system is the maximising the best attributes of our best players and gets the best out of the most number of players we have at our disposal. It's a bit like how in 15/16 our system got the best out of players like Simpson, Drinkwater and Okazaki despite them being decent but not stellar players. 

At some point teams might figure out the 343, but good luck trying to best the team I posted here! It's oozing quality. 

God this line up does something to my manhood I never expected it to

• Haha 1

I'm pretty much of a mind with Finnaldo. All things being equal I think Brendan reverts to four at the back and possession football.

Mendy has been fantastic, sufficiently good that I think Ndidi has to bide his time to reassert himself as the first choice; which I think he will, eventually. But how great for him that there's no pressure, that he can take as long as it takes to get himself 100% fit.

I agree that I think Ricardo might actually excel at left back given how he likes to attack. All I would say is that does depend on how comfortable he feels defending on that side.

I think Evans stays first choice. Honestly, Soyuncu might be in the same boat as Ndidi in needing some time to wrestle back his spot as first choice in a back two.

All in all though the question is what is our best starting XI and I think I'd say it's this:

Schmeichel

Pereira Evans Soyuncu Castagne

Tielemans Ndidi

Under Maddison Barnes

Vardy

2 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

It's not an easy thing to say, but the truth is we've been more fluid and quicker in mounting attacks from the back with Wilf not in the lineup.  That's not to say better overall, but it is the case.

I agree. Now that he's discovered how to pass the ball forwards, Mendy has allowed us to transition much quicker.

Having said that, I do still see Ndidi as a superior tackler, and obviously he gives us height which we otherwise lack.

Ndidi for me is still the better player overall. But there will be games where Mendy is a better bet.

2 hours ago, murphy said:

With European competition we will have to rotate the squad not just play our best XI week in week out even if they are all fit.

I think that Rodgers favours 4 atb and this has the benefit of allowing us to rotate CBs.  

Yes for sure we will rotate the squad heavily. My prediction earlier in the season is that we won’t see our “strongest” team at all this season because of injuries and many games and I still think that will be the case. 

Regarding 4 at the back, in his very first game with us against Watford, we played 3 at the back despite having played 4231 for 18 months under Puel. Perhaps Rodgers does still favour that system but in theory 3 at the back is just as offensive as when we play 4141, Ndidi often drops back to make a back 3 when both fullbacks push up. The big difference between the systems is that in 4141 you create 2v1 overloads on the flanks whereas in 343 you have two players drifting between the lines centrally. 

Ultimately we are lucky to have both a coach and squad capable of playing multiple systems and we will rotate both the personnel and the system throughout the season as you’ve said. In recent games we’ve looked the best we’ve done in the entire calendar year and for that reason it’s likely we’ll see it a lot more regularly and may even have become our primary system. Stylistically I prefer 4141 but it’s results and performances that count and this one is delivering. IMO we are controlling games like we did in 15/16 games using it and it those kind of performances that win trophies. 

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 1