Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
mazarron fox

Envy of others

18 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

I agree. Since then we've made several intelligent signings, promoted players from the academy, voted against the PPV scheme, didn't furlough staff during covid, have challenged England's Elite and have overcome tragic events. If we had been ru poorly and showed no ambition I can't imagine we'd have much goodwill. 

The true People's Club.

And the People get it.  (as much as tribal football fans can)

We've gone from being "everybody's second club" (with its temporary, almost mascot-like connotations) to the club everybody admires, and most wish their club was run like.

13 minutes ago, KingsX said:

The true People's Club.

And the People get it.  (as much as tribal football fans can)

We've gone from being "everybody's second club" (with its temporary, almost mascot-like connotations) to the club everybody admires, and most wish their club was run like.

Micah Richards actually said on the last Monday night club on radio 5, that after Man City he now sees us as his second team, because he loves watching us play. I did feel a little but proud that he was talking about our club  I must admit. 

15 hours ago, moore_94 said:

Forest fans are pretty much the worst fans when it comes to living in the past

My uncle is the only non-leicester fan in the family and ended being up a forest fan, whenever I take this piss about how crap they are now pretty much all he can come up with is the whole European cup thing, I usually ask for something that actually happened since I was born in 94 and he goes all quiet haha

Older fans who were there probably have a better perception of the team as a whole, but for me and (this is a presumption I admit) most people of my generation (born in the early 90s) Forest's historical acheivements are always spoken about in the same breath as Brian Clough - and even then, you generally get Derby's titles brought up too. It's the man in charge that is remembered today, not the teams he built throughout his long tenure. Their fade into obscurity has been a long one that began the day he left.

For that reason, it's odd but nonetheless understandable that Forest fans have the complex they do when it comes to looking at the past. Even when we were going through our previous (and by comparison more modest) golden era in the late 90s, Forest were sinking into obscurity as a yo-yo club without any real prospects of challenging for silverware at the sharp end of the prem again.

The thing is, even Clough's own Wikipedia page references his acheivements with this caveat:

"His achievements with Derby and Forest, two struggling provincial clubs with little prior history of success, are rated among the greatest in football history."

It's pretty scathing as an assessment, and one which is certainly now once again true of both clubs, but a reality we should note when we seek to enjoy these amazing times as supporters of Leicester. We've been absolutely blessed with the way our club has operated, and in Pearson, Ranieri and now Rodgers have had the right people in charge to deliver an unprecedented rise to the heights we now not only know we can reach, but hope to remain at on a longer-term basis.

We're doing an excellent job of growing our credibility and 'brand' off the back of our successes - 2015-16 being a once-in-a-lifetime springboard for a 'smaller' club which nobody has probably had since, yes, Forest back when they won their European cups.

Our task, the hard one, is to make that sustainable to the point that it's the club rather than the faces in charge which are spoken about in the future. People reminisce about the Ferguson era, or Wenger's invincibles, but Man Utd. and Arsenal didn't stop being culturally relevant as clubs the day their talismanic managers departed, even if they've both had real struggles replicating their success. The acheivements remained the club's as well as the individual's.

Our title was unique because of all the individual stories involved. Vardy, Mahrez, even King will be the subject of many a story and documentary for decades to come. But that was the fairytale. Would an FA Cup for Leicester City still be remembered as our FA Cup in thirty years' time, or more as a feather in Brendan Rodgers' cap?

Not that I would begrudge him that at all. But honestly, I didn't even know until reading that article that Forest had won league cups in the late 80s under him. Like I say, for most modern Leicester fans, they're just the annoying local rival, one who had a very good manager who took them to European success before any current players were even born, and never shut up about the fact despite three decades of ever-increasing irrelevance.

Forest should serve as a dire warning of the impermanence of success in football, and allow us to enjoy this golden era without letting it become an obsession in less memorable future times. We will all look back on the title fondly forever more, but let's never try to be under the illusion that it will give us any more relevance 30 years from now than, say, Blackburn's title gives them today, wherever we may find ourselves in the pyramid by then.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

I was travelling around Botswana/Namibia after we won the league. Petrol stations over there have attendants who fill your car up for you and offer to clean your windows, check your oil etc for an extra tip. I had my 'Euro Tour 1997' flag proudly displayed in the back:

IMG_9098.thumb.JPG.1683437ebb4fad75d6c3dc62f40358e3.JPG

One fella said to me "Leicester. Leicester City. Ah you are only supporting them because they are winning", so I had to explain that I'd supported them for 20 years, even when we were shit. He asked me why I didn't support a big team like Arsenal or Man Utd, I said Leicester was my home town, and he wouldn't believe me!

It looks like the petrol pump attendant got a little over excited when filling up your car.

• Haha 1

On 23/03/2021 at 15:04, Hammo said:

Yes, these are special times for our club and I doubt we have ever been more popular with the ‘neutrals’. Indeed, I imagine our convincing win over Man United on prime time BBC will have added a few ‘glory hunters’ to our support up and down the country. Especially in school playgrounds where peer pressure is ever-present.

I had a couple friends I’ve not heard from during lockdown text me on Sunday evening with congratulations and praise for our team - one of them a United fan who lives in Kimberley (Forest territory).

The word is spreading, folks...

And this is exactly what we require. If we want to compete at the top we need to increase income.

Great opening post.

It is so good to be talked about as a club for all the right reasons. Hard to think it used to be mass arrests of players in Spain, orgies in Thailand, players letting off fire extinguishers or dodgy ticket arrangements.

We truly have come a long way.

• Like 2

Guest bss9401
On 23/03/2021 at 15:48, Collibosher70 said:

I work at EMA and I'm surrounded by f@#$#t and direby....when they mention who they support I'll reply yeh I've heard of them , but I dont really know a lot about lower league teams 😁

Yes, it works very well. When I worked in notts I would pretend absolute ignorance of the seventies and call them liars when they said that they won stuff.

To really twist the knife I'd say that I heard about Dundee Utd, Aberdeen, Ipswich, Villa, Liverpool, Spurs winning European trophies. It would wind them up no end.

3 hours ago, bss9401 said:

Yes, it works very well. When I worked in notts I would pretend absolute ignorance of the seventies and call them liars when they said that they won stuff.

To really twist the knife I'd say that I heard about Dundee Utd, Aberdeen, Ipswich, Villa, Liverpool, Spurs winning European trophies. It would wind them up no end.

With Kelechi and Wilf in mind, you could go a step further and call them a Dundee United now.

It's Nigerian slang for someone who is chatting sh*t. Look it up. :fishing:

• Like 1

On 23/03/2021 at 14:21, shailen said:

Someone asked me if I only supported Leicester because I was a 'glory supporter' 😂. That made me feel proud. 

Exact same thing happened to me yesterday. I thought she was taking the piss...then it registered.

We're massive :cool:

1 hour ago, OntarioFox said:

With Kelechi and Wilf in mind, you could go a step further and call them a Dundee United now.

It's Nigerian slang for someone who is chatting sh*t. Look it up. :fishing:

More of a term for someone who *is* sh*t! :P

• Haha 1