Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
mazarron fox

Envy of others

10 minutes ago, mazarron fox said:

I’m 64 now ,I know I know old but in my 20s I worked in Nottingham and my then boss had a box at the city ground during Forests golden period and our not so. I had to witness Europe and pretend I was happy with clients who were Forest fans in the box. I always said my team is LCFC despite laughs and piss takes. Fast forward to now I had left that company and started my own 35 years ago but my old boss and I still kept on touch. Yesterday he sent me this email.

’ Wow just wow what an incredible football team you have, you must be so proud , you played Man Utd off the park and your team is full of talent. I wish NFFC could emulate your team, but we can only dream ‘

Do any of you have similar tales of how our particular worm has turned ? 

For you younger fans enjoy this period it is truly golden and as in the case of our neighbours nothing is guaranteed. 

Love this!

I went to secondary school with all Derby fans, during mid to late 2000s. Called every name under the sun because of it. It’s nice to be sitting where I am, watching them sit where they are now. 

It truly is a golden age for the club, one I’ll never forget.

Edited by M0901
Spelling error
  • Like 2

People's attitudes have started changing a little bit from pity (circa 2002-2013) to respect (2013-early 2016) to envy and now sometimes slight hostility. Added to the fact I don't have a Leicestershire accent and people are now much more sceptical of my Leicester supporting credentials. Not that I care right now.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Vlad the Fox said:

When I was a kid there used to be a lad who was a forest fan and it ****ed me off so much I would mercilessly take the piss out of him/them, totally unaware they had just had success in Europe (my parents shielded me well lol) He never mentioned it surprisingly, maybe I wasn’t listening. Anyway, I discovered a couple of years back he’s now a die hard Leicester fan and a season ticket holder for a number of years, bringing his family up as blues.

Good lad lol 

Inject that shit😂

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, mazarron fox said:

I’m 64 now ,I know I know old but in my 20s I worked in Nottingham and my then boss had a box at the city ground during Forests golden period and our not so. I had to witness Europe and pretend I was happy with clients who were Forest fans in the box. I always said my team is LCFC despite laughs and piss takes. Fast forward to now I had left that company and started my own 35 years ago but my old boss and I still kept on touch. Yesterday he sent me this email.

’ Wow just wow what an incredible football team you have, you must be so proud , you played Man Utd off the park and your team is full of talent. I wish NFFC could emulate your team, but we can only dream ‘

For you younger fans enjoy this period it is truly golden and as in the case of our neighbours nothing is guaranteed. 

Living in Greenwich i get it all the time from my friends who aren't fans of big clubs (usually West Ham or Charlton.) Not so much West Ham at the moment though since they're living pretty good. But Charlton as a club have been ruined by corporate greed and poor decision making from both the directors or the club (up until the new ownership) and the football league. Fair to say I sympathise with them, but they definitely regularly tell me how jealous they are.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, shailen said:

Someone asked me if I only supported Leicester because I was a 'glory supporter' 😂. That made me feel proud. 

Every single time I tell someone I'm a Leicester fan, this is the question I'm asked. 

Not many of us in Scotland. 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, mazarron fox said:

Good on you. 

You absolutely deserve to relish in the success of your / our team. 

I've always been Leicester through and through even when at school when everyone supported Liverpool and when working in Nottingham, Birmingham and London over the years so I know what it takes to puff your chest out and say I support Leicester when we've been absolutely carp at times over the years.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bovril said:

People's attitudes have started changing a little bit from pity (circa 2002-2013) to respect (2013-early 2016) to envy and now sometimes slight hostility. Added to the fact I don't have a Leicestershire accent and people are now much more sceptical of my Leicester supporting credentials. Not that I care right now.

I have the same issue as I was born in Yorkshire and lived here all my life.

Usually asked from Yorkshire born Liverpool/Man United/Chelsea fans 😂

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, shailen said:

Someone asked me if I only supported Leicester because I was a 'glory supporter' 😂. That made me feel proud. 

I told someone I supported Leicester a few months after the title win and he asked me "who did I used to support"? I had to call the cheeky twat out on it. lol

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Yes, these are special times for our club and I doubt we have ever been more popular with the ‘neutrals’. Indeed, I imagine our convincing win over Man United on prime time BBC will have added a few ‘glory hunters’ to our support up and down the country. Especially in school playgrounds where peer pressure is ever-present.

I had a couple friends I’ve not heard from during lockdown text me on Sunday evening with congratulations and praise for our team - one of them a United fan who lives in Kimberley (Forest territory).

The word is spreading, folks...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mazarron fox said:

Went school in Nottingham and although they were never even successful, the arrogance from the period you talk of is still very prevalent.

I think in my lifetime as a fan we have pretty much always been better than Forest but they still have their idiots. 

Alot of parallels between them and England's fans abroad singing about a World Cup and 2 world wars despite being humiliated by the Germans in pretty much every way for the past 60 years.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, shailen said:

I must admit that, since 2016, my response to the "who do you support" question has been: "Leicester, but have been since the 1980s."

It's weird now, seeing kids around here (Hertfordshire) with Vardy shirts on, among the Aubameyangs, Kanes and Mounts.

• Like 1

When I tell people I'm a Leicester fan (in my Norn Irish accent) I absolutely love it when they insinuate that I only started supporting us in the last 5 years before I tell them its more like the 90s. I see it as an underhand compliment despite the condescending efforts.

Knew a few Man City fans from back home that I lost touch with ages ago, guess they feel the same way albeit different levels of success and different approaches.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

Every single time I tell someone I'm a Leicester fan, this is the question I'm asked. 

Not many of us in Scotland. 

Same down here in London.

Also you get it more if you've never lived in Leicester like me. A far cry from the days of being bullied for supporting us :scarf:

• Like 1