Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
mazarron fox

Envy of others

12 minutes ago, glebe_sydneyfox said:

In Australia since 2016 I am constantly derided as plastic fan and no way you supported them prior to winning the title to which I point at SCHLUPP (my cult hero) on my back and then they go mute.

You plastic Palace fan 😂😂😂

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, glebe_sydneyfox said:

In Australia since 2016 I am constantly derided as plastic fan and no way you supported them prior to winning the title to which I point at SCHLUPP (my cult hero) on my back and then they go mute.

Haha I have this same problem in Perth until I open my mouth and they realise I'm from the friggin place 😁

Edited by Tomassi
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Got a message from my mate in Reading yesterday - he watched our game with his mate - a Man Utd. plastic from Derby who treats the rams as his second team.

He's already had enough stick from him this season with the Royals flying high while Derby flirt with relegation, so this was just another opportunity to twist the knife. He likely hates us on two levels right now. :fishing:

13 hours ago, Desabafar said:

Good lord, i think I need a gallon of water to cope with that level of salt. :whistle:

Never minding the hypocrisy of trying to accuse us of crooked ownership after selling their own soul to the fridge peddlers for a quick rise which never happened, I love that someone thinks us building grass pitches on 'farmland' is a stick to beat us with... even though it was a golf course to start with. lol

Also a weird comment about Choudhury's heritage. Maybe that guy is Bengali himself, but as with anything coming from the fanbase that tried to goad us with racist chanting when the Thais took over and abused Lloyd Dyer after Knockeart's winner in 2013, I can't help but gravitate to the conclusion that there's probably a racist undertone to it. :dunno:

Whatever - we rise above it. It's absolutely wonderful to see their fans getting so wound up by this golden era of ours, especially since they apparently don't care about us. :thumbup:

Edited by OntarioFox
  • Like 1

I started watching Leicester in the mid-eighties and you really do realise how far we've come as a club since then. There was, however, something magical about paying £4 or £5 at the turnstile to stand amongst 10000 or so die hard fans. In some ways we didn't care because this was our club. 

The growth that we've experienced is fairly unique. When teams like Derby and Forest were winning things it was a different era. Leeds title win was when they were still a big club and Blackburn's win in 1995 was at a time when the league could be bought for millions - rather than billions. Progressing as we have through slow, sustainable, growth is what every smaller club dreams of, but is almost impossible to achieve. As a Leicester fan there is always a nagging fear that it won't last, which helps us keep our humility. 

In terms of my experience as a Leicester fan I used to find that I was patronized by other fans - particularly Forest fans. We were largely irrelevant to Man Utd/Liverpool fans, although I note that several of the former who I worked with have been LCFC season ticket holders since our rise to the Premier League with pictures appearing on Facebook of them celebrating our title success. 

Forest and Derby fans used to have the narrative in the eighties and nineties of: "you're not our rivals" , which was used to make them feel bigger and better than us even as we drew alongside them. Now we're surpassing them both so demonstrably it's interesting that they stick to the same retort of: "yeah ..... but you're not our rivals!" To which the natural and rational response is: " No! We really, really, aren't your rivals" 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, shailen said:

Someone asked me if I only supported Leicester because I was a 'glory supporter' 😂. That made me feel proud. 

I was travelling around Botswana/Namibia after we won the league. Petrol stations over there have attendants who fill your car up for you and offer to clean your windows, check your oil etc for an extra tip. I had my 'Euro Tour 1997' flag proudly displayed in the back:

IMG_9098.thumb.JPG.1683437ebb4fad75d6c3dc62f40358e3.JPG

One fella said to me "Leicester. Leicester City. Ah you are only supporting them because they are winning", so I had to explain that I'd supported them for 20 years, even when we were shit. He asked me why I didn't support a big team like Arsenal or Man Utd, I said Leicester was my home town, and he wouldn't believe me!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Forest fans are pretty much the worst fans when it comes to living in the past

On that Nottingham Forest thread posted in here pretty much all they ever mention when our success is talked about is how we cheated businesses out of money with the stadium and administration etc

My uncle is the only non-leicester fan in the family and ended being up a forest fan, whenever I take this piss about how crap they are now pretty much all he can come up with is the whole European cup thing, I usually ask for something that actually happened since I was born in 94 and he goes all quiet haha

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Forest fans are pretty much the worst fans when it comes to living in the past

On that Nottingham Forest thread posted in here pretty much all they ever mention when our success is talked about is how we cheated businesses out of money with the stadium and administration etc

My uncle is the only non-leicester fan in the family and ended being up a forest fan, whenever I take this piss about how crap they are now pretty much all he can come up with is the whole European cup thing, I usually ask for something that actually happened since I was born in 94 and he goes all quiet haha

To be fair that's all they have. 

It's interesting to consider where Forest are now in the consciousness of football fans. I'm old enough to remember when they were quite good and unquestionably the biggest and best club in the East Midlands. Some of their fans will hold on to that even if current history shows that we're much bigger and better than them. 

Where are Forest In your mind, for example, as they've never been any good in your lifetime?

I remember talking to my daughter (who is about your age) when we won the league about all the new fans we suddenly had. She speculated as to where all these fans were when we couldn't even beat Sheffield Wednesday. It was her example of a small, insignificant, club whereas in my mind they are still a big team (I was there when we lost 7-1 in the league cup). 

It's strange how perspectives change and how long it takes to change them. 

11 minutes ago, Jobyfox said:

To be fair that's all they have. 

It's interesting to consider where Forest are now in the consciousness of football fans. I'm old enough to remember when they were quite good and unquestionably the biggest and best club in the East Midlands. Some of their fans will hold on to that even if current history shows that we're much bigger and better than them. 

Where are Forest In your mind, for example, as they've never been any good in your lifetime?

I remember talking to my daughter (who is about your age) when we won the league about all the new fans we suddenly had. She speculated as to where all these fans were when we couldn't even beat Sheffield Wednesday. It was her example of a small, insignificant, club whereas in my mind they are still a big team (I was there when we lost 7-1 in the league cup). 

It's strange how perspectives change and how long it takes to change them. 

Weird how Sheff Wed are seen by some as 'big'. They haven't won anything in most people's lifetime but their stadium must count for something as its was used for FA Cup semi's (and more importantly League Cup final replays) in days gone by. 

Most of the current crop of pundits formed their opinions since the 60's and once a club has a big tag it sticks. Future generations may be different. 

If only we had won just one of those FA Cup finals in the 60's I think our status might be have been viewed differently during past few decades. 

Even Wolves are seen as big because they were the first club to have floodlights! 

21 hours ago, mazarron fox said:

As a side note to this Leicester played Portsmouth in the play offs at city ground  years later my boss let me ‘ buy ‘ the box for £100 I think we must have been having the new Carling stand built. The ground was packed with city fans Joachim scored from the half way line and I was told I could never use the box again as we were all drunken animals 😂

Yeah building had started as we wern't expected to make the play offs, A Forrest fan told us where to park for nothing on his firms car park. Kick off was delayed because of all the Leicester fans travelling. Two portsmouth fans in our group had to pretend to be happy when Joachim scored.

Let’s be fair majority of football fans are really fond of our club following the 15/16 season and like the way we’re run. 

^ Despite what some Leicester fans think, some seem to believe that the whole of the UK footballing world, fans and media are all totally against us lol

Edited by TJB-fox

2 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

I was travelling around Botswana/Namibia after we won the league. Petrol stations over there have attendants who fill your car up for you and offer to clean your windows, check your oil etc for an extra tip. I had my 'Euro Tour 1997' flag proudly displayed in the back:

IMG_9098.thumb.JPG.1683437ebb4fad75d6c3dc62f40358e3.JPG

One fella said to me "Leicester. Leicester City. Ah you are only supporting them because they are winning", so I had to explain that I'd supported them for 20 years, even when we were shit. He asked me why I didn't support a big team like Arsenal or Man Utd, I said Leicester was my home town, and he wouldn't believe me!

I lived in Kenya for a few months and people loved it when they read my passport!

1 minute ago, TJB-fox said:

Let’s be fair majority of football fans are really fond of our club following the 15/16 season and like the way we’re run. 

^ Despite what some Leicester fans think, some seem to believe that the whole of the UK footballing world, fans and media are all totally against us lol

To be fair a lot of people hated us when Ranieri was sacked, but it feels like most of them are over that now.

As our club stays on this upwardly trajectory there is no doubt we will start growing a new fan base. That's just something that follows success. News travels fast now in our new world. Atleast in my part of northern california people recognize Leicester city and what the greatest story ever told. However they have stayed in touch and continued to follow. Some may still be plastic city, liverpool, manu, arse and spuds funs but there is respect every time they see me or my son wear our leicester shirts. Oh and yes often get asked loads about the team and the city and always tell them proudly I'm from Leicester bro & bred. I guess you can't say that much about most other folks sporting premier league teams. One thing i would like to say is there is a massive opportunity to grow our club's fan base further and presence here in the US. Our publicity dept should really look into it. Soccer academies for kids is huge with clubs live FC Barca and Liverpool having a big presence here every year. I know our local team San Jose Earthquakes are not exactly to tier in the MLS but they have a rich history in US soccer. LCFC playing a friendly tour would be huge!

7 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

And now nobody even mentions it. Our overriding reputation is incredibly positive

I agree. Since then we've made several intelligent signings, promoted players from the academy, voted against the PPV scheme, didn't furlough staff during covid, have challenged England's Elite and have overcome tragic events. If we had been ru poorly and showed no ambition I can't imagine we'd have much goodwill.