Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Col city fan

The fishing thread

45 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Sturgeon? I thought that was illegal .

You need a special licence and the fish have to have the correct importation paperwork , I think the law changed in 2015 so I doubt you can import them now , but these fish have been in the lake over 20 years I believe so totally legal to fish for them .

2 hours ago, Stonegold said:

You need a special licence and the fish have to have the correct importation paperwork , I think the law changed in 2015 so I doubt you can import them now , but these fish have been in the lake over 20 years I believe so totally legal to fish for them .

Do you get to keep the caviar if you catch one?

4 hours ago, Stonegold said:

If anyone ever fancies a real battle try Celtic Lakes near Lampeter in Wales , some lovely carp over 30lb Cats up to 60lb and Sturgeon (not Nicola) up to 165lb , I'm lucky enough to live close to the lake and have had Sturgeon to 137lb and 50lb Cats , really nice lake well maintained and dinner served straight to your Bivvy via the Baliff Martin .

20lb mainline is a must micro barbed hooks only .

How do the sturgeon fight mate? 137lbs! Well done

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

How do the sturgeon fight mate? 137lbs! Well done

Hang on for as long as you can against the fish , when your strength gives up a bit let it run on a weaker clutch setting , by day when hooked they will leap out of the water trying to snap your line on their boney scales , but by night they seem to want to stay in the deeper water or find a nice snag , at this size it's always a possibility you will lose them during the fight but they soon get re caught and any snagged tackle in them is quickly removed. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
Just now, browniefox said:

Don't know how close you're thinking but stanwick lakes near Raunds is worth a shout. Fish to over 30 in the 3 main lakes, Mallard is always my choice as it has a decent head of 30s and a lot of 20s. 

That very lake has been recommended to me on another forum. Seems a goer. @Col city fan has also recommended a superb looking syndicate. 

FT Fishing Trip this summer? :D