Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Col city fan

The fishing thread

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

Just about the last thing left to try Spud

This morning I’ve done ledgered boiiie, pop ups and pellets. Different flavours etc 

One at distance, one close in, tight lines, slack lines...

Not a sniff....

dead maggots. It's still cold, carp don't do oily stuff when it's cold, it congeals in their stomachs and their spider senses tell them not to eat it, that's why sweetcorn or dead maggots work well, Method feeders work because the carp are attacking the method mix and then accidently hook themselves on the hook inside, they're not searching though the mix to discover a golden nugget, it's the actual groundbait they attack. Based on that, here's one to try, mix 50/50 brocacel yeast (in winter) or fishmeal (summer) and brown crumb, lightly spray water on it just so you can  pinch an almost dry 10p size of it directly on a 10  hook with 6-8lb line straight through, use decent float rod with a waggler set 5ft over depth, pinch a couple of small shots to hold it in place but don't weight it to cock, weight it so it sits flat on the water and just wind back so it sits upright, this is a marker to tell you if the bait is still on. Fling a few small balls of mix around your hook bait, and hang on to your rod! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone done much sea fishing? We used to fish lakes in Leicestershire and maybe small rivers when we were on holiday, but now we're in Spain that's not really a thing without doing training, in Spanish. So we're reduced to sea fishing but with no real experience, it's still great to get out with the rods but if anyone has any tips they'd be appreciated. We caught a bass the first time out but definitely beginners luck, we've had nothing since... 

31 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Anyone done much sea fishing? We used to fish lakes in Leicestershire and maybe small rivers when we were on holiday, but now we're in Spain that's not really a thing without doing training, in Spanish. So we're reduced to sea fishing but with no real experience, it's still great to get out with the rods but if anyone has any tips they'd be appreciated. We caught a bass the first time out but definitely beginners luck, we've had nothing since... 

I’ve done plenty off the rocks. Only need a lightweight spinning rod and reel and a few lures and your in the game. I’ve caught some decent sized pollock (4 or 5pound) with a 30g casting weight 7ft spinning rod using a 3000 sized match style reel with 20lb braided line. Obviously you can use a heftier setup if your chasing bigger fish. Or even real lightweight gear if your after smaller fish. I’m not sure what fish you’d have down there in Spain but I’m sure you’d catch plenty using basic lures.  Also caught plenty of Mackerel using cheap mackerel lures. Most of it mind is off the west coast of Ireland so different waters to what u would be fishing in.  

I've never done the sea fishing off the beach which use them really long rods and often dead baits. To be fair I’ve never fancied that.  I quite like moving around with just light gear.  Never caught a bass. My favourite fish to eat and I’d certainly not be popping it back in the sea if I catch a nice sea bass. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, OrielCaziado said:

I’ve done plenty off the rocks. Only need a lightweight spinning rod and reel and a few lures and your in the game. I’ve caught some decent sized pollock (4 or 5pound) with a 30g casting weight 7ft spinning rod using a 3000 sized match style reel with 20lb braided line. Obviously you can use a heftier setup if your chasing bigger fish. Or even real lightweight gear if your after smaller fish. I’m not sure what fish you’d have down there in Spain but I’m sure you’d catch plenty using basic lures.  Also caught plenty of Mackerel using cheap mackerel lures. Most of it mind is off the west coast of Ireland so different waters to what u would be fishing in.  

I've never done the sea fishing off the beach which use them really long rods and often dead baits. To be fair I’ve never fancied that.  I quite like moving around with just light gear.  Never caught a bass. My favourite fish to eat and I’d certainly not be popping it back in the sea if I catch a nice sea bass. 

Yeah that's our biggest problem really, we're used to shorter rods with lighter weights, and moving around when nothing is doing. I suppose that's what we're still trying to do in the sea, and I don't think it really works.

We didn't know what it was when we caught it so we put it back, we haven't been here that long and I was imagining anything we caught wouldn't be worth eating, if only we'd known it was a bass it would have found itself in the oven or on the BBQ! It's sods law that we'll never catch another lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FoxesDeb said:

Yeah that's our biggest problem really, we're used to shorter rods with lighter weights, and moving around when nothing is doing. I suppose that's what we're still trying to do in the sea, and I don't think it really works.

We didn't know what it was when we caught it so we put it back, we haven't been here that long and I was imagining anything we caught wouldn't be worth eating, if only we'd known it was a bass it would have found itself in the oven or on the BBQ! It's sods law that we'll never catch another lol

Not sure of the rules in Spain but Bass legally have to be over a certain size otherwise they have to go back. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Spudulike said:

Not sure of the rules in Spain but Bass legally have to be over a certain size otherwise they have to go back. 

I’d have thought that anything goes in Spain, after all they still find that stabbing a bull with swords in front of a baying crowd, chasing a bunch of cows down the street and throwing tomatoes at each other exciting events. Heathens!

1 hour ago, yorkie1999 said:

I’d have thought that anything goes in Spain, after all they still find that stabbing a bull with swords in front of a baying crowd, chasing a bunch of cows down the street and throwing tomatoes at each other exciting events. Heathens!

:hamza:

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, foxile5 said:

I'm off to Frisby Lake tomorrow for a twenty four hour session. 

Fishing two rods using Baitworks boilies and oil. 

I'm wondering what rigs to use for most success and if anyone has any experience of this lake? 

Went to my syndicate lake yesterday and it’s still a struggle. I’d stay away from oily fish based baits and luncheon meat for a couple of weeks. Don’t think the waters have warmed up enough yet and it seems a bit of a late season due to the weather. Sweet corn, maggots and worm for now.

26 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Went to my syndicate lake yesterday and it’s still a struggle. I’d stay away from oily fish based baits and luncheon meat for a couple of weeks. Don’t think the waters have warmed up enough yet and it seems a bit of a late season due to the weather. Sweet corn, maggots and worm for now.

Heartening to hear when I've just soaked the boilies! 

Ill have to try and jam some corn on top and snowman it? 

On 30/05/2021 at 23:01, foxile5 said:

Heartening to hear when I've just soaked the boilies! 

Ill have to try and jam some corn on top and snowman it? 

I’ve not fished Frisby Lakes but I went and had a look last Saturday. Got chatting with a fella and his lad and he said it’s notoriously difficult to catch at Frisby, it’s a big water and not full of carp. He said something like he’s been there 30 times and caught one!

Also had a look at the lake at Hamilton (not far from the KFC). Apparently there’s a couple of 30’s in it and it’s a day ticket water. Anyone fished it?

On 30/05/2021 at 22:34, yorkie1999 said:

Where do you fish mate?

52 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Where do you fish mate?

A very well looked after lake about a mile from Hinckley which is handy for me. I used to fish the river dove and trent a lot, but since they were cleaned up, the fishing has been terrible, plus it's too much walking now.

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

I’ve not fished Frisby Lakes but I went and had a look last Saturday. Got chatting with a fella and his lad and he said it’s notoriously difficult to catch at Frisby, it’s a big water and not full of carp. He said something like he’s been there 30 times and caught one!

Also had a look at the lake at Hamilton (not far from the KFC). Apparently there’s a couple of 30’s in it and it’s a day ticket water. Anyone fished it?

Yeah. I spent the night there. Basically no sight of any fish breaching or coming to the surface. Very difficult I'd say. 

If anyone ever fancies a real battle try Celtic Lakes near Lampeter in Wales , some lovely carp over 30lb Cats up to 60lb and Sturgeon (not Nicola) up to 165lb , I'm lucky enough to live close to the lake and have had Sturgeon to 137lb and 50lb Cats , really nice lake well maintained and dinner served straight to your Bivvy via the Baliff Martin .

20lb mainline is a must micro barbed hooks only .

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Stonegold said:

If anyone ever fancies a real battle try Celtic Lakes near Lampeter in Wales , some lovely carp over 30lb Cats up to 60lb and Sturgeon (not Nicola) up to 165lb , I'm lucky enough to live close to the lake and have had Sturgeon to 137lb and 50lb Cats , really nice lake well maintained and dinner served straight to your Bivvy via the Baliff Martin .

20lb mainline is a must micro barbed hooks only .

Sturgeon? I thought that was illegal .