Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Col city fan

The fishing thread

10 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

😄

Still trying to understand the concept of rigs and end tackle. It's impenetrable for me. 

I'm using hair rigs on a ledger as I don't fully understand the role of various pieces of end tackle and that's the easiest to catch on. 

3 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

Still trying to understand the concept of rigs and end tackle. It's impenetrable for me. 

I'm using hair rigs on a ledger as I don't fully understand the role of various pieces of end tackle and that's the easiest to catch on. 

More than happy to tell you/ show you buddy

When I mentioned ‘wrapping’ your distance, you know about distance sticks and using the line clip?

1 minute ago, Col city fan said:

More than happy to tell you/ show you buddy

When I mentioned ‘wrapping’ your distance, you know about distance sticks and using the line clip?

Vaguely. Set up distance sticks for, say, three feet and wrap off the distance you want to cast then clip off the line at your preferred distance so it can't go any further? 

38 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Sounds like the place I fish is pretty much the same mate. The high pressure thing is much more important than I ever realised! 
This place is so full of natural grub that I don’t reckon the big carp are too bothered about boilies etc.

Next time I’m gonna try a big lob-worm and see if I can tempt them with the ‘naturals’

And too right about the satisfaction. If catch a big carp, listen out for a massive cheer from the West Leics area!

Be careful, I once went down the lobworm route in desperation and hooked the biggest eel I've ever seen in my life. Barely fitted in my 42 inch landing net and scared the life out of me. I later found out the lake once held the eel record (back in the 60's) with other members having similar encounters. No idea how big it was as another angler and myself managed to unhook it in the net and let it escape back into the water. 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Be careful, I once went down the lobworm route in desperation and hooked the biggest eel I've ever seen in my life. Barely fitted in my 42 inch landing net and scared the life out of me. I later found out the lake once held the eel record (back in the 60's) with other members having similar encounters. No idea how big it was as another angler and myself managed to unhook it in the net and let it escape back into the water. 

Reminds me of a mate who was in Cape Verde a few years back and managed to hook into a little shark whilst throwing some lures into the sea off the beach. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, foxile5 said:

Vaguely. Set up distance sticks for, say, three feet and wrap off the distance you want to cast then clip off the line at your preferred distance so it can't go any further? 

Spot on mate. Essential if fishing over a bigger distance. Just don’t forget to take your line off the clip after you cast! 

👍

Edited by Col city fan

7 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Spot on mate. Essential if fishing over a bigger distance. Just don’t forget to take your line off the clip after you cast! 

👍

Got a wicked case of line twist on my new reels. Bought a spin doctor but it doesn't seem to work. 

Bit of a nightmare to be honest. Sometimes I have to reel in each cast because the lines spiraled under it. 

9 hours ago, Spudulike said:

Great effort to un hook it,caught a few eels and have never been able to unhook them. Scared to death of the slimy brutes to be fair. Caught 3 in a match at Ramsey forty foot, many years ago and the keepnet stunk the car out on the way home. Luckily it wasn’t mine👀

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, foxile5 said:

Got a wicked case of line twist on my new reels. Bought a spin doctor but it doesn't seem to work. 

Bit of a nightmare to be honest. Sometimes I have to reel in each cast because the lines spiraled under it. 

I’d take some line off your reel buddy. Get the line up to the lip of the reel but no further. If you’ve got too much line on, it’ll spill over the lip of the reel and will tangle itself

Also, always use some rig tubing.. the best thing to stop tangles

Finally, tighten up the drag on your reel to get the line tight between the reel and the ledger weight

👍

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

I’d take some line off your reel buddy. Get the line up to the lip of the reel but no further. If you’ve got too much line on, it’ll spill over the lip of the reel and will tangle itself

Also, always use some rig tubing.. the best thing to stop tangles

Finally, tighten up the drag on your reel to get the line tight between the reel and the ledger weight

👍

I'm more of a slack liner to be honest. In my experience tight lines result in increased line bites and spooked carp. 

But yes, over filling a spool is asking for trouble. Loads of YouTube guides on respooling. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

I'm more of a slack liner to be honest. In my experience tight lines result in increased line bites and spooked carp. 

But yes, over filling a spool is asking for trouble. Loads of YouTube guides on respooling. 

What’s the bite recognition like with slack lines mate? Do they still give a good indication?

48 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

What’s the bite recognition like with slack lines mate? Do they still give a good indication?

I was a bit sceptical at first but indication works fine. Not quite so sure about drop backs but most of my success has come whilst slack lining (bobbins lying on the floor). A lot depends on how far out your spots are and what's on the bottom regarding debris, weed etc. If you're only doing a short chuck (less than 50 yards) and the lake bed is mostly clear of obstructions then it's worth a try. Like most of these things it's all about confidence in your methods allowing more time to concentrate on watercraft, fish finding etc. Never stop learning. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spudulike said:

I was a bit sceptical at first but indication works fine. Not quite so sure about drop backs but most of my success has come whilst slack lining (bobbins lying on the floor). A lot depends on how far out your spots are and what's on the bottom regarding debris, weed etc. If you're only doing a short chuck (less than 50 yards) and the lake bed is mostly clear of obstructions then it's worth a try. Like most of these things it's all about confidence in your methods allowing more time to concentrate on watercraft, fish finding etc. Never stop learning. 

I’ve never encountered another fisherman where the bobbins are literally on the floor but slack line to a nearby bait makes sense. I’ll give it a go next time and feedback 👍

1 minute ago, Col city fan said:

I’ve never encountered another fisherman where the bobbins are literally on the floor but slack line to a nearby bait makes sense. I’ll give it a go next time and feedback 👍

Perhaps a situation I should've mentioned where I wouldn't slack line is when locking up to a snag. In that situation I'd tighten everything down (bait runner off) and sit very close to the rod. Always tempting to get a bait near to a snaggy area where Carp frequent but usually best avoided for fish safety reasons. 

5 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Perhaps a situation I should've mentioned where I wouldn't slack line is when locking up to a snag. In that situation I'd tighten everything down (bait runner off) and sit very close to the rod. Always tempting to get a bait near to a snaggy area where Carp frequent but usually best avoided for fish safety reasons. 

👍 that’s something I always do. I’ll try the slacker line in open water at shorter distances 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

The brolley is up to keep off the drizzle.

The traps are set. One with hair rigged boilie, the other with pellet

But them fishes ain’t biting!!

Got any sweetcorn with you? They like the salt at this time of year. It can be deadly with a piece of the fake stuff to balance it. 

On 07/04/2021 at 14:03, Spudulike said:

Just looking at it I don't think it's particularly over filled. It's just twisted badly. Going to take off a few meters regardless and then cast into foremark res using that spin doctor. 

4 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Got any sweetcorn with you? They like the salt at this time of year. It can be deadly with a piece of the fake stuff to balance it. 

Just about the last thing left to try Spud

This morning I’ve done ledgered boiiie, pop ups and pellets. Different flavours etc 

One at distance, one close in, tight lines, slack lines...

Not a sniff....

3 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Just about the last thing left to try Spud

This morning I’ve done ledgered boiiie, pop ups and pellets. Different flavours etc 

One at distance, one close in, tight lines, slack lines...

Not a sniff....

Solid bag? Method feeder?

Some days they just do your head in, I like waters like that. 

If all else fails, wind in and have a walk around, a bit of stalking, or just see if you can find them. Anyone else there and catching? 

Just now, Spudulike said:

Solid bag? Method feeder?

Some days they just do your head in, I like waters like that. 

If all else fails, wind in and have a walk around, a bit of stalking, or just see if you can find them. Anyone else there and catching? 

I’m just here with mi mate. He’s had one run but nothing came of it

The bailiff just told us that a bloke in my swim was here yesterday and had nothing all day UNTIL the last hour where he had four between 10 and 17lb!

When they aren’t feeding there’s sometimes not much you can do.