Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Spudulike

Where do you get your music from?

Spotify is my go to just because it is so easy and a lot of their playlists and stuff are pretty good. Listen to a bit of Radio 1 and Radio X in the car. I like watching live sets on Youtube. When I really like a band, I like to buy a vinyl and have it sit there never to be played (or maybe I'll get it out once a year), but at least I feel as though I have supported the artist more than just listening on Spotify.

• Like 4

On 11/07/2022 at 14:04, Bellend Sebastian said:

I did pretty much exactly what you did, but kept my amp and speakers and play the FLACs through my ludicrously expensive Cambridge audio streaming thingy (can't remember what it's called, sorry) or through the Sonos (speakers in back room and bedroom).

We have a single user Spotify licence which gets used a lot more as it's so easy.

I do sometimes wonder if the whole digitising thing was worth it, and the main reason it was is there's a surprising amount of stuff that isn't on Spotify.

FLAC quality is better but hard to tell on the Sonos and I can never get in the front room to listen to the main set up as laddo is on his PlayStation in there during the hours you could play it without causing a neighbourhood incident.

Still buy CDs for my favourite artists, partly because I a) like a physical back up b) a CD ripped FLAC still sounds better than Spotify c) I generally invest a bit more time listening to something if I've specifically paid for it which makes no sense but there you go

Not impressed with Sonos? Had a listen to my daughters Sonos One at the weekend and it didn't sound great. I partially put that down to it streaming Spotify in mp3 format. Thinking about getting one for the kitchen for convenience but playing ripped FLAC's rather than mp3 streaming. Don't know how it will perform. 

What baffles me is when you want to pick up an mp3 album, so you go to Amazon and they are after £8 for it, but they'll sell you the CD version with "Autorip" for a fiver - so you can order the CD, instantly download the mp3s anyway, then a CD turns up a day or two later you don't need any more yet its somehow cheaper than the mp3s on their todd. Smacks of mp3 pricing being kept pegged to what CDs used to cost brand new as CD albums in the shop, because the record industry is determined that they won't accept any drop in the perceived "worth" of 1 track or album, regardless of the possibility they might shift more volume of mp3s (which are basically a product they can sell unlimited copies of!)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, orangecity23 said:

What baffles me is when you want to pick up an mp3 album, so you go to Amazon and they are after £8 for it, but they'll sell you the CD version with "Autorip" for a fiver - so you can order the CD, instantly download the mp3s anyway, then a CD turns up a day or two later you don't need any more yet its somehow cheaper than the mp3s on their todd. Smacks of mp3 pricing being kept pegged to what CDs used to cost brand new as CD albums in the shop, because the record industry is determined that they won't accept any drop in the perceived "worth" of 1 track or album, regardless of the possibility they might shift more volume of mp3s (which are basically a product they can sell unlimited copies of!)

:blink: £8 for an mp3 album is extortionate. Does this 'Autorip' let you download in other formats? If not, buy the 'cheap' cd, use a free ripping tool (exact audio copy) and listen in lossless FLAC. Lovely. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Not impressed with Sonos? Had a listen to my daughters Sonos One at the weekend and it didn't sound great. I partially put that down to it streaming Spotify in mp3 format. Thinking about getting one for the kitchen for convenience but playing ripped FLAC's rather than mp3 streaming. Don't know how it will perform. 

I think they're great, especially with built in Alexa and all that, but not so amazing that I can tell the difference between FLACs and Spotify on them.  This might be because mine are very much used as something to listen to when I'm doing something else. I don't tend to be overly focused or listening that closely, it's my actual hi-fi that I will sit and take in as much as I can.

Much better as a stereo pair, but obviously that's getting a bit pricey

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I think they're great, especially with built in Alexa and all that, but not so amazing that I can tell the difference between FLACs and Spotify on them.  This might be because mine are very much used as something to listen to when I'm doing something else. I don't tend to be overly focused or listening that closely, it's my actual hi-fi that I will sit and take in as much as I can.

Much better as a stereo pair, but obviously that's getting a bit pricey

I'm looking at getting a Sonos Beam mainly as a soundbar but also to play FLAC's. Also a Sonos One for the kitchen end of the room. Like you, it will be used as a background music source whilst doing other stuff. 

• 9 months later...

I listen to so much new music it simply isn't practical to do anything other than use Spotify for most listening.  However, artists I really love or see live I'll buy the vinyl. 

I'm fortunate enough to have inherited about a 1000 or so vinyl and a pukka Linn turntable with amazing speakers off my dad (still alive btw but now pretty deaf).  So I listen to a lot of his stuff which is incredibly diverse, some of it ridiculously obscure.  Some less so.  It's the wax equivalent of pick n mix.  I always send him a WhatsApp about what I'm enjoying (or not enjoying) and I think he likes the fact it's all got a new lease of life.  

Very often I'll be listening to something from the 60's or 70's and it'll sound incredibly modern, an indication of how much influence older stuff has had on new artists.  Some of it is so weird as to be unlistenable.  

Personally for warmth of sound and overall experience (artwork etc.) you can't beat vinyl.  But for practicality and trying new music you can't really beat streaming.  

• Like 2

On 01/05/2023 at 01:39, Daggers said:

Think I’m going to list my vinyl and give the CDs away, I only iTunes now. Everything if else is just effort. 

What’s the best way to sell vinyl? Been thinking about doing the same recently 

Subscribe to Spotify, but will buy Vinyl if I really like the band or artist. Have a lot of signed cds and vinyl too. Spotify is convenient but I love the Sleeve artwork for Vinyl. HMV is also reopening stores due to the Vinyl revival. 

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Went into a charity shop today and obviously some indie fan had had a clear out, cos amongst all the standard Robbie Williams, Steps and Dido CDs were The Smiths, New Order, Joy Division, Stone Roses, Lemonheads, Lloyd Cole... there were more. 

A lot of the stuff I'd already got, but picked up some good stuff.

• Like 1