Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Phenomenal

That performance was the best i've witnessed in years. Easily the best under Levein. I didn't go to Charlton so maybe some of you would argue, but i say that because it was a very positive performance from the off. Some of those performances from them players were simply phenomenal.

And finally Craig Levein got his team right today. He could have brought back Dublin with De Vries out but saw sense and didn't. The reason we created so many chances was the pace up front, and on the wings. At 2-1, i was worried. Craig called Williams back... why? Was he thinking of changing the tactics to 4-5-1 due to the amount of posession Sheff Utd were having? If he'd have done that no way would we have won, after 5 minutes Gareth put his coat back on, Smith put a wonderful ball through to Hammond and we'd scored. I don't think that would have happened had Levein changed things. Credit to him for holding back on that substitution.

If Hammond hadn't scored that goal to make it 3-1 i dread to think how much abuse he would have received, and it would not have been justified. The amount of effort he put into that game was phenomenal and i'm so pleased for him, he played his heart out. He missed Akinbiyi like sitters, but wasn't afraid, he kept getting into fantastic positions and got his reward. It was a pleasure to see us playing well without those two lumps. I've said for months on end we'll make no progress when we're relying on De Vries every game. THAT was progress.

What a special special player Ryan Smith is.

Im in shock with how well each player played today even Kisnorbo had a good one , the effort they all put in and how well the defence coped with there attacking was brilliant

well done the lads! :D

And the atmosphere was electric at times just shows how loud we can be when we want

If Hammond hadn't scored that goal to make it 3-1 i dread to think how much abuse he would have received, and it would not have been justified. The amount of effort he put into that game was phenomenal and i'm so pleased for him, he tried his heart out. He missed Akinbiyi like sitters, but wasn't afraid, he kept getting into fantastic positions and got his reward. It was a pleasure to see us playing well without those two lumps. I've said for months on end we'll make no progress when we're relying on De Vries every game. THAT was progress.

Hammond worked very well today. I was so pleased for him when he got his goal. Not only did he worry Sheffield United's defence with his pace but he held the ball up just as well as de Vries does if not better. You may have noticed when de Vries did come on he was the player that lost us possession due to his lack of pace. I'm not a de Vries basher, I've backed him 100% since he joined us, but today did show that whatever de Vries can offer the team Elvis and Iain together can do just as well.

Im in shock with how well each player played today even Kisnorbo had a good one , the effort they all put in and how well the defence coped with there attacking was brilliant

And the atmosphere was electric at times just shows how loud we can be when we want

Didn't sound too bad on the radio, i think the more away following that we have at the Walkers the more louder our fans sing

Hammond worked very well today. I was so pleased for him when he got his goal. Not only did he worry Sheffield United's defence with his pace but he held the ball up just as well as de Vries does if not better. You may have noticed when de Vries did come on he was the player that lost us possession due to his lack of pace. I'm not a de Vries basher, I've backed him 100% since he joined us, but today did show that whatever de Vries can offer the team Elvis and Iain together can do just as well.

To be honest i think De Vries did really well when he came on. At that stage we had the game won as long as we didnt do anything stupid. He came on, and when he got the ball, he kept it and ran the clock down. He calmed the play down and frustrated the opposition with his strength. I think Elvis and Hume should start against Leeds but De Vries can do a job for us still!

Anyone who missed this match missed a real treat, easily City's best all-out attacking performance in recent memory and an occasion when we could easily have smashed the erstwhile leaders for seven and not had a word of complaint from the visitors camp.

How long have City fans on this forum been pleading for today's approach:

Ninety minutes commitment to high press football.

Constant passing to feet

Lots of movement off and on the ball

The long awaited inclusion of Hume.

Two fast strikers

No easing of the pressure

Forwards replacing forwards as substitutions.

Why it has taken so long only Levein knows but the match proved that City don't need to compromise their approach for anyone in this division.

I said last week there was nothing wrong with the players, only the tactics and here was the proof.

Ryan Smith is fast becoming our very own George Best - not just a hugely imaginative wizard of dribble but deadly accurate with his passing. Collecting his first goal for the club was a bonus (courtesy of Hume's feed) and that followed Hume's first goal via Smith's pass ----- partnerships (wonderful things).

Then there was Hammond. A City enigma. Is he good because he forever gets into wonderful scoring positions? Or is he a disaster cos too often he seems to miss?. Well today he was awesome. He ran Sheffield's defenders utterly ragged, twice missed with only the keeper to beat having brilliantly engineered clear runs through the Blades centre but at long last the moment of the afternoon ----a sweetly struck goal to put victory pretty well beyond doubt.

Being fair he'd hit the target before (so some credit to the keeper for saving them) but all the team and all the spectators breathed a sigh of relief when his so careful final strike hit the net.

It was slow-motion stuff. The whole kop has risen and waited expecting goals from his other chances and the third time the wait seemed even longer. They stood in expectant silence and absolutely erupted when the ball went in. I was so delighted for him.

The crowd were in great form. United's sizeable contingent of fans had tried to wrestle the initiative with one first half chant but were utterly drowned by the Kop who thereafter kept up a constant barrage of witty taunts which emphasised just how much they like the new attack-minded Leicester City.

It was EXACTLY the way to get the crowd back. A thrill a minute and so what that Sheffield scored twice - the second with the last kick.

This was properly organised but uninhibited football. Thrilling moves, goalmouth action, genuine trickery, players criss-crossing like planes in a dogfight in their search for space - and six goals.

How long is it since we saw six goals at home?.

I've suggested Levein struggles to motivate his side - well this team were motivated - they just loved showing off their skills in the best possible way and I wonder if that's where the motivation came from - words from Levein that it was all-out attack and easing off was not an option (which must have been rare music indeed to their ears).

Anyway the outsome was a scintillating all-action football match and I was doubly lucky. I enjoyed the game courtesy of DavieG, thoroughly enjoyed his company and what a wonderful way to make a friendship.

It's ages since I've been in the Kop (my eyesight being iffy enough to guide me towards the West Stand) but what a difference emerging from the presence of the living dead into a heaving, screaming, fanatical following of genuinely committed football fans.

What a day and what a triumph.

The forum will make a manager of Levein yet!!!!!!!!

Anyone who missed this match missed a real treat, easily City's best all-out attacking performance in recent memory and an occasion when we could easily have smashed the erstwhile leaders for seven and not had a word of complaint from the visitors camp.

How long have City fans on this forum been pleading for today's approach:

Ninety minutes commitment to high press football.

Constant passing to feet

Lots of movement off and on the ball

The long awaited inclusion of Hume.

Two fast strikers

No easing of the pressure

Forwards replacing forwards as substitutions.

Why it has taken so long only Levein knows but the match proved that City don't need to compromise their approach for anyone in this division.

I said last week there was nothing wrong with the players, only the tactics and here was the proof.

Ryan Smith is fast becoming our very own George Best - not just a hugely imaginative wizard of dribble but deadly accurate with his passing. Collecting his first goal for the club was a bonus (courtesy of Hume's feed) and that followed Hume's first goal via Smith's pass ----- partnerships (wonderful things).

Then there was Hammond. A City enigma. Is he good because he forever gets into wonderful scoring positions? Or is he a disaster cos too often he seems to miss?. Well today he was awesome. He ran Sheffield's defenders utterly ragged, twice missed with only the keeper to beat having brilliantly engineered clear runs through the Blades centre but at long last the moment of the afternoon ----a sweetly struck goal to put victory pretty well beyond doubt.

Being fair he'd hit the target before (so some credit to the keeper for saving them) but all the team and all the spectators breathed a sigh of relief when his so careful final strike hit the net.

It was slow-motion stuff. The whole kop has risen and waited expecting goals from his other chance and the third time the wait seemed even longer. They stood in expectant silence and absolutely erupted when the ball went in. I was so delighted for him.

The crowd were in great form. United's sizeable contingent of fans had tried to wrestle the initiative with one first half chant but were utterly drowned by the Kop who thereafter kept up a constant barrage of witty taunts which emphasised just how much they like the new attack-minded Leicester City.

It was EXACTLY the way to get the crowd back. A thrill a minute and so what that Sheffield scored twice - the second with the last kick. This was properly organised but uninhibited football. Thrilling moves, goalmouth action, genuine trickery, players criss-crossing like planes in a dogfight in their search for space - and six goals.

I've suggested Levein struggles to motivate his side - well this team were motivated - they just loved showing off their skills in the best possible way and I wonder if that's where the motivation came from - words from Levein that it was all-out attack and easing off was not an option.

Cracking stuff that and I was doubly lucky. I enjoyed the game courtesy of DavieG, thoroughly enjoyed his company and what a wonderful way to make a friendship.

It's ages since I've been in the Kop (my eyesight being iffy enough to guide me towards the West Stand) but what a difference emerging from the presence of the living dead into a heaving, screaming, fanatical following of genuinely committed football fans.

What a day and what a result.

So you had a good day? ha ha :thumbup:

Well done lads.

Fast attacking football, running at the opposition.

Now Craig for christs sake leave De Vries out of the starting 11.

Hume was outstanding.

the problem with that is that de vries will have to play wednesday and if he plays well it will be hard to leave him out

To be honest i think De Vries did really well when he came on. At that stage we had the game won as long as we didnt do anything stupid. He came on, and when he got the ball, he kept it and ran the clock down. He calmed the play down and frustrated the opposition with his strength. I think Elvis and Hume should start against Leeds but De Vries can do a job for us still!

hammil did the same kept the ball simple passes and killed time

Its not been that long, 9th August vs Stoke City. But couldn't agree more with the rest of it. As i said before first time in ages i've enjoyed a Saturday afternoon at the Walkers

sorry but there was six goals when we played stoke at the beginning of the season

But great post i agree with all you said :thumbup:

I think Thrac meant the 6 goals Leicester have scored in the last 2 games. :unsure:

DeVries is probably too slow for this side but taken in context your point is perfectly valid. There was none of the ridiculous hoof-ball of Tuesday night when Dublin took stage.

This afternoon City's passing remained principally to feet from start to finish and, as you say, MDV maintained the forward movement, retained possession and played his part however fleetingly.

I grumbled a bit when he came on cos I didn't see the point of taking Hammond off but DavieG was right when he said it would save Hammond for Bolton as the game was virtually over.

There were balls though that he would have reached and MDV couldn't. This to me was the first real sight of the New Millennium Leicester Lads...a young, fast team which present themselves as formidable opposition when pushing forward as a unit.

Levein reacted today to much the fans have asked for. If he now goes the final step and eases Sheehan into our major weakness at left back (blatantly apparent yet again today) then he really will have a side he can build on.

Not that I expected Sheehan to be selected.

However I couldn't believe he preferred Nils to Stearman.

And, when Sheffield targetted Nils' flank and carved it to pieces for 15 minutes of the second half I was mightily relieved that they only scored the once. Even their consolation second goal was headed in from where Nils might have been expected to cover.

Watch the video ... it'll be there in glorious technicolour.

What's the problem Craig?. No-one's told you wrong so far.

Don't spoil a side for failing to plug one little leak. Stearman/Sheehan are absolutely made for this team and are both far better full-backs than Nils will ever be.

And how much more willing everyone is when there's something to get excited about. I ended up hoarse.

Im totally speechless! but thankfully my fingers still work. What a game, we were taking the piss for long periods and that has been unheard of this season. I really hope we can capitalise on this, the pairing up front of Hume and Hammond totally worked and you can tell Ryan Smith loves being here with the throwing of his shirt into the kop.

Maybury, from where I was sitting, was fantastic especially when he tried to decapitate Paddy Kenny with a close range shot on the line. Even Kisnorbo looked reasonable :ph34r:

The only downside was that we didnt score more, it could've been an even bigger 'thrashing' if Elv had put his two sitters away but he deserved his goal and from where I was sitting it looked like he was crying after he'd scored. :cry:

I think im falling in love with Iain Hume :blush:

I woke up this morning unsure whether the budget can stretch to another match after watching Watford earlier in the week. There was something I saw in the Watford game that persuaded me to brave the biting wind and make my way to the Walkers. During the Watford game Leicester showed me little glimpses of their ability. Like live action trailers for the full experience.

Within 15 minutes the score-board read 2-0 Leicester. I joked before the game we willl come good for 5. Never did I believe that that was a real possibility.

I knew he would score. It was only a matter of time, I kept telling myself and those around me. It seemed as though he was breaking the laws of physics with the improbable misses. When he finally scored I was tearful. Screaming for joy, for Elvis! I could see myself running down on to the pitch and hug him, everything is going to be all right!

When Joey sacrificed his goal tally to let Hammond increase his, I knew this team had the spirit of old returning. When the team mates all took Hammond in their arms after his triumph I knew the spirit of old was returning. When the final whistle blew and the players felt indebted to the fans I knew the spirit of old was returning.

I haven't seen a performance by us to rival this in any division for a long long time. There was a belief among the players that they would always score again. There was no resorting to long passes into the air or to the invisible 12th man. Even with Douglas presenting all of his worst goalkeeping attributes I knew this afternoon would be special.

And how it was.

I woke up this morning unsure whether the budget can stretch to another match after watching Watford earlier in the week. There was something I saw in the Watford game that persuaded me to brave the biting wind and make my way to the Walkers. During the Watford game Leicester showed me little glimpses of their ability. Like live action trailers for the full experience.

Glad someone else saw what I saw on Tuesday night.

I knew he would score. It was only a matter of time, I kept telling myself and those around me. It seemed as though he was breaking the laws of physics with the improbable misses. When he finally scored I was tearful. Screaming for joy, for Elvis! I could see myself running down on to the pitch and hug him, everything is going to be all right!

I wanted to do the same, really I did, I would have given him a great big smacker on the lips too! I really wanted him to come closer over toward the Kop cos' we were all going wild, he deserved to take the praise.

What a day.

Thracian in response. nils did get caught out a bit, but i also thought his height was useful in the first half when they kept trying balls into the channels he seemed to nod most of them away.

I'm not for a minute saying he's useless. He certainly made decent interceptions but his distribution, even in the first half was patchy. He tends - not to hoof but to lift the ball in the air so the pass arrives too slowly. In the second half they relentlessly exploited his lack of pace, apparent particularly when he was forced to turn.

If you get chance to see a recording watch how early Stearman played his passes Tuesday and how, invariably, he passed to feet. The effect was to give his colleague time to turn and time to weigh up his options.

With flighted passes they are slower to arrive, have to be controlled and by then, any gaps are often closed.

Nils can be a valuable member of our squad (especially if he's big enough to work on his improveable weakness, his passing).

His place is on the bench and the coaches should get him playing endless early passes to feet with left and right foot. Then he could ably deputise right across the back four.

My point about Stearman and Sheehan is they are CLASS. They have the style, skill and speed to blend brilliantly into this young side of ours so that by the beginning of next season they will have formed a unit that is formidable indeed.

Archived