Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HighPeakFox

Properly heartbreaking songs

Feel bad for posting the silly Kermogant song earlier in the thread.

The one that gets me every times is this. Was played on the radio a lot around the time of the birth of my oldest son who was born really prematurely and spent his first month in ICU. Was around Christmas too so that line particularly resonates.

This from 1.58 onwards always clatters me

Too many Frightened Rabbit songs to mention (The Oil Slick from the same album is another weeper) but the end of this gets me every time, the singer Scott Hutchison has a bit of a tragic story so anything remotely emotional by them gets to me a bit

• Like 2

On 21/08/2022 at 16:30, foxfanazer said:

This one takes me back to a really difficult time in my childhood and although it has uplifting parts to it I just can't listen to it without shedding a tear.

I find this one sad for a couple of reasons. Partly because of a relationship breakup but also Sinead O'connor own personal woes and the emotion in her delivery

These 3 always get me a bit choked up

This one's a bit of a silly one but it reminds me of a scene in Only fools and horses where Rodney's just got married and Del has to let him go. This songs playing at the reception as they're saying their goodbyes lol

Edited by foxfanazer
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

Lovely choices everyone - try to remember to say why, if you can bring yourselves to.

The ones I’ve posted aren’t so much personal as rather sad songs that I thought deserved an airing, all of them from a long time ago. They all bring a lump to my throat, an effect that music increasingly tends to have on me as I get older.

A song that does have personal significance to me is the one below. I am unable to discuss why here I’m afraid.

• Like 2

Not that its "heartbreaking" but this brings a tear to my eye every time, so simple.. but... If we realise how valuable we are to others, not for what we make, or bring or build ... our mere existence, is to somone... worth more than anything

Boy don't be so stupid, boy don't be so daft,
You're not even right by half.
And although you say your songs are fundamentally air,
there's also thousands of vibrations that stimulate the ear.
In such a way that whenever I hear them
they always make me smile.
They're just as tactile as a box or a bed or cupboards or shelves.

Edited by ozleicester
  • Like 1

No particular reason other than it's a genuinely sad song and the last verse in particular kills you off.

Again no particular reason, just acknowledging it's a heartbreaker. 

Shoutouts also to Tears by Bipolar Sunshine about the Manchester bombings and Rocks at your Window by Yelawolf about a friend of his that passed away

13 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

The ones I’ve posted aren’t so much personal as rather sad songs that I thought deserved an airing, all of them from a long time ago. They all bring a lump to my throat, an effect that music increasingly tends to have on me as I get older.

A song that does have personal significance to me is the one below. I am unable to discuss why here I’m afraid.

My favourite Beatles song by a country mile.

An absolute masterpiece.

• Like 2

On 20/08/2022 at 19:48, Izzy said:

1986, aged 13.

Hayley Young ditched me the day before the school disco.

This was the final song that evening as I sat in the corner alone and an emotional wreck. 

This reminds me.... it has one of the most crass lines ever in 'Stand up and count me' - what the eff does that mean?

• 2 weeks later...

'The Sea' - Sandy Denny.

But there are several other songs she wrote/sang which also are incredibly emotive for me. Charles Trenet singing 'La Mer' and Jeff Buckley's version of Britten's 'Corpus Christi Carol'. Joni Mitchell's 'Beat of Black Wings'. Linda Ronstadt's rendition of 'Tracks of My Tears'. 

I've a great streak of melancholy running through me - compounded by sentimentality and nostalgia. So that these aspects of my psyche are reflected in the songs I love. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

For @WigstonWanderer

Thanks for that. Very lavish version, particularly liked the intro. I know I’ve heard that piece before and it’s been used as theme music, but can’t remember the name.

I did think the rockier rhythm lost some of the melancholy of the original.

1 minute ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Thanks for that. Very lavish version, particularly liked the intro. I know I’ve heard that piece before and it’s been used as theme music, but can’t remember the name.

I did think the rockier rhythm lost some of the melancholy of the original.

Yes, hard to replicate the insulated studio version.

Barber Adagio for Strings, by the way - Jon Lord started weaving it into the intro in the 90s.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Yes, hard to replicate the insulated studio version.

Barber Adagio for Strings, by the way - Jon Lord started weaving it into the intro in the 90s.

Just listened to that in full. Probably deserves its own place in this thread, though perhaps not exactly in line with your original intentions for it. Love how music can provoke such powerful emotions even without words. Btw, aren’t you a cellist?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Just listened to that in full. Probably deserves its own place in this thread, though perhaps not exactly in line with your original intentions for it. Love how music can provoke such powerful emotions even without words. Btw, aren’t you a cellist?

Yes sir.