Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

Another Topic Shut Down

2 hours ago, davieG said:

To moderate it you'd have to read it and as this is Forum for LCFC and anything extra is at the will of the owner I see no reason why he or the mods should have to spend their time reading and moderating  other people's inability to have a discussion without getting abusive, overly argumentative and dominating threads to the detriment of other posters on a subject they probably have no interest in or desire to get involved. 

Well I don't.

If only that were also applied equally to the football section...... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

If only that were also applied equally to the football section...... 

@Markand the mods try but there's a lot of posts to view and when they do ban anyone for it it's often met with howls of protest, anger and the pleading of innocence and in the words of most footballers "What me"

Political discussion is both healthy and informative. I do not understand why political threads are taken down when postings get a bit heated? .. especially the subject of Brexit, which I can only assume fires up certain Brexiteer mods who don't like reading the truth?

• Like 1

For me, this is first and foremost a football forum. If I wanted political discussion (or indeed wanted discussion on diesel powered nuns) then I'd go to a different forum. I'm a cyclist, I read and post on 2 different cycling forums on cycling subjects - I don't discuss politics there either, nor diesel powered nuns for that matter. I might venture a little towards those subjects on occasions but nothing more. Equally, I have a number of interests that I don't even think of raising as subjects of conversation on here. But then I avoid any discussion generally when I feel it's likely to become polarized. and for little benefit. 

So for me, and in short, I can understand why this forum shuts down political discussion. It's not its prime focus nor concern, and that's fine by me.

:)

Edited by taupe
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, taupe said:

For me, this is first and foremost a football forum. If I wanted political discussion (or indeed wanted discussion on diesel powered nuns) then I'd go to a different forum. I'm a cyclist, I read and post on 2 different cycling forums on cycling subjects - I don't discuss politics there either, nor diesel powered nuns for that matter. I might venture a little towards those subjects on occasions but nothing more. Equally, I have a number of interests that I don't even think of raising as subjects of conversation on here. But then I avoid any discussion generally when I feel it's likely to become polarized. and for little benefit. 

So for me, and in short, I can understand why this forum shuts down political discussion. It's not its prime focus nor concern, and that's fine by me.

:)

But there's a defined 'General Chat' section in which politics is a valid discussion for. It's not being discussed in a football forum. If someone doesn't want to read a politics thread, it's pretty simple to just avoid clicking on the thread.

We're all here for football. Well, probably 99% of us. But there's also a place for music, world football, other sports, tech, gaming etc etc. Not all of us just like football because we have other areas to discuss other hobbies with like-minded people. If there was no Gen Chat section and politics was being discussed in the LCFC section then I'd fully agree that this isn't the place for politics.

In saying that, it's what makes this forum so good compares to several other club/football forums. There's the football chat, and then there's the other chat with people who are willing to engage in that conversation.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, davieG said:

@Markand the mods try but there's a lot of posts to view and when they do ban anyone for it it's often met with howls of protest, anger and the pleading of innocence and in the words of most footballers "What me"

I get that, but it can be very heavy handed, indiscriminate and frankly inconsistent. I try to remain mainly apolitical on here and always have done. I've spoken up against extremist links such as bitchute and SouthFront and will continue to respond to misinformation, anti-science and junk conspiracy theory which I abhor. While the lively debate was raging about industrial action in the 'also in the news' thread the other week, I had the misfortune to be simultaneously posting a sentence about Validimir Putin in the Ukraine Thread. I was banned from the forum for 48 hours received a warning point which will 'never expire', and an automatically generated email and the following advisory; 'continuing to post about politics when it's been advised not to.' At no point was I advised not to and at no point in my seven years contributing to this forum have I continually posted about politics. 'I mean', am I permitted to post in the Andrew Bridgen thread for example? or do I run the risk of bearing the brunt of a similar random knee jerk reaction?

Not hard to understand why people get peeved. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, taupe said:

I don't discuss politics there either, nor diesel powered nuns for that matter. 

Whoa - hold the **** on. 

Please start a thread about diesel powered nuns. It’s got everything: religion, science, environment…

I’m all over it, tell me more!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

If someone doesn't want to read a politics thread, it's pretty simple to just avoid clicking on the thread.

Absolutely, and it's what I practice (as a rule) I'm just saying I have no problem with it being there, or not being there, at the discretion of whoever owns the gaff.

4 hours ago, davieG said:

First of all, I really appreciate you responding to me on this, without being defensive. I also take on board what @Finnegansaid in response to me - I do however know the difference between an explanation and an excuse.

I also acknowledge what @Line-Xsaid on this matter. I do not expect to be liked by @Markor indeed any of the mods here, but we are all guilty of bias and tolerance towards those who more closely share our views - whether or not one cares to admit it, or be honest about it, is another matter. The problem comes to the fore in moderation, because some appalling things get said at times in the main forum - scurrilous, angry, borderline libellous - but to those of us that really don't want to have debate conducted in such a way nor share the particular outlook, it just looks like those posters are far more tolerated because their views seem to chime more with those doing the moderating, and thus a double standard is created. 

I've learnt not to get into individual spats now, so you've had no reason to wag the finger recently, but at times in the past I'm quite sure I've been censured for no greater crime than writing stuff that might challenge lazy, assumptive thinking, or for getting through to people indirectly that what they're saying is unacceptable, and their having complained because they realised I might have dared imply reasonable criticism. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

First of all, I really appreciate you responding to me on this, without being defensive. I also take on board what @Finnegansaid in response to me - I do however know the difference between an explanation and an excuse.

I also acknowledge what @Line-Xsaid on this matter. I do not expect to be liked by @Markor indeed any of the mods here, but we are all guilty of bias and tolerance towards those who more closely share our views - whether or not one cares to admit it, or be honest about it, is another matter. The problem comes to the fore in moderation, because some appalling things get said at times in the main forum - scurrilous, angry, borderline libellous - but to those of us that really don't want to have debate conducted in such a way nor share the particular outlook, it just looks like those posters are far more tolerated because their views seem to chime more with those doing the moderating, and thus a double standard is created. 

I've learnt not to get into individual spats now, so you've had no reason to wag the finger recently, but at times in the past I'm quite sure I've been censured for no greater crime than writing stuff that might challenge lazy, assumptive thinking, or for getting through to people indirectly that what they're saying is unacceptable, and their having complained because they realised I might have dared imply reasonable criticism. 

There probably is some bias as you have mods with varying perspectives/biases on what is acceptable also not every thread will be viewed and the reporting of issues suffers from the problems.

There's not an agreed set of rules as to what is acceptable it's never going to be perfect indeed will vary from day to day. Perhaps that's why the simplest solution is to ban any political threads as that seems to be were most of what you noted is posted but that in itself is subjective as we've seen.

30 minutes ago, davieG said:

There probably is some bias as you have mods with varying perspectives/biases on what is acceptable also not every thread will be viewed and the reporting of issues suffers from the problems.

There's not an agreed set of rules as to what is acceptable it's never going to be perfect indeed will vary from day to day. Perhaps that's why the simplest solution is to ban any political threads as that seems to be were most of what you noted is posted but that in itself is subjective as we've seen.

I was very much referring to the LCFC related section, which has been pathetic lately. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, weller54 said:

Political discussion is both healthy and informative. I do not understand why political threads are taken down when postings get a bit heated? .. especially the subject of Brexit, which I can only assume fires up certain Brexiteer mods who don't like reading the truth?

I’m sure you know that healthy and informative political discussions are not the issue.

If not, you may be one of the ones responsible for them turning into sh!tshows