Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

Another Topic Shut Down

23 minutes ago, filthyfox said:

Nope.  Only Communists and fascists see a problem with good political discussion.

If political talk resulted in discussions, and not personal attacks or name calling, I’m sure they would have no problem with it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, marbles said:

If political talk resulted in discussions, and not personal attacks or name calling, I’m sure they would have no problem with it.

So kick the ones calling names!

Anyway, I'm being an argumentative twat owing to antidepressant withdrawal, and dealing with very poor management at work.

Please ignore me.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, marbles said:

It does. it's probably more civil than much of the football talk.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, filthyfox said:

So kick the ones calling names!

Anyway, I'm being an argumentative twat owing to antidepressant withdrawal, and dealing with very poor management at work.

Please ignore me.

It’s all good

My favorite part of these forums is people doing something stupid, and then pleading innocence in the Forum Support section.  
It brightens my day whenever I see a new post in that section with someone acting dumbfounded about a ban.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, davieG said:

Yeah sorry about that, I think I may have to retire from thread management and stick to starting new threads.

I was going to say a ban was in order...

4 hours ago, davieG said:

Nah I don't want to ban myself.

....and now you brought it up ot would be noble of you to do so. 1 day ban... symbolic gesture....a day of not having to deal with a bunch of bells......i'm getting banned aren't i? 

Lol

22 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

I think it's more to do with the massive headache it gives the moderators, not the actual discussion itself 

So the mods take the easy route and just ban it rather than actually moderate it?

5 minutes ago, Parafox said:

So the mods take the easy route and just ban it rather than actually moderate it?

To moderate it you'd have to read it and as this is Forum for LCFC and anything extra is at the will of the owner I see no reason why he or the mods should have to spend their time reading and moderating  other people's inability to have a discussion without getting abusive, overly argumentative and dominating threads to the detriment of other posters on a subject they probably have no interest in or desire to get involved. 

Well I don't.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, davieG said:

To moderate it you'd have to read it and as this is Forum for LCFC and anything extra is at the will of the owner I see no reason why he or the mods should have to spend their time reading and moderating  other people's inability to have a discussion without getting abusive, overly argumentative and dominating threads to the detriment of other posters on a subject they probably have no interest in or desire to get involved. 

Well I don't.

Thank you for that. For most posters, moderators are an invisible presence who take decisions that posters can't understand. I understand that you can't spend every waking moment reading and deciding what is appropriate or not and I think most posters appreciate what the mods do. I know I do. but sometimes threads get banned or locked without explanation.

Unfortunately there are many keyboard warriors who resort to abuse or slanging off those they disagree with.

T'will ever be so.

Thank you for what you do. 

1 hour ago, davieG said:

Well I don't.

Is there any possibility of taking on more mods who could handle general chat? 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

What you meant to say was “I’d like to volunteer to be a mod for General Chat” 

😉

See I'd love to do that but I don't think I have the capacity at the moment. Just wondered if it's a possibility or if the owner is against the idea completely. I don't really follow forum politics (which is a credit to the way it's run imo) but I know we've had mods that focus on here in the past (Webbo was one I think) and they did an excellent job for the most part while dealing with (imo) a lot more troublesome posters. 

My only gripe with the 'no politics rule' is the lack of any clear boundary as to what counts and what doesn't. I feel like often I'm just not sure if I should reply to something or find myself waiting to see if something is removed and wondering if it's actually safe to post if it hasn't. Which leaves me getting a bit resentful now and then, actually it feels like being back at school a bit. It's like rather than having any kind of clarity as to what's okay or not, the owner reserves the right to come here and take personal offence and hand out a ban for what is otherwise completely benign conversation. 

Yet I do appreciate the time effort and presumably financial liability that goes into upkeeping this place. I'm also a bit appalled at some people's reactions to getting bans so I don't wish to contribute to any sense of over-entitlement or even harassing behaviours. 

• Like 1